• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Millsap Reunion?

ATLHawks3

On 8/2/2021 at 11:00 AM, sillent said:

Yeah Paul definitely did his thing here when he was here but the fit isn't quite right at this point. 

One of the only former Hawks I could see us bringing back now is Dedmon. He's familiar with Trae and the band. Gives us a player of need in a 7fter (3 & D ish Center) that can also rebound, block and catch oops. 3 ball may also come back here especially knowing he has a chance to win it all (yeah I said it).

As our starter I would say no but as a second and 3rd string backup Dedmon would fit nicely.

Where's the crow??  That was quick might even be a record for me. Without Nathan Knight looks like a roster spot definitely opened up here for Paul Millsap.

A vet who can play both big positions. Doesn't need to play as much when all our players are available but he can kinda play that Solo role for the Bigs and reduce Solo's role from last year. 

I'm definitely for it now.

1 hour ago, sillent said:

Where's the crow??  That was quick might even be a record for me. Without Nathan Knight looks like a roster spot definitely opened up here for Paul Millsap.

A vet who can play both big positions. Doesn't need to play as much when all our players are available but he can kinda play that Solo role for the Bigs and reduce Solo's role from last year. 

I'm definitely for it now.

Sap is one of my top 10 fav Hawks all time despite not playing a lengthy time with us. Hard hat productive quiet all star. Only question is he hasn’t looked his slithery crafty self lately, a bit stiffer and a tad slower. Having said that, he would be the best 3rd string PF in the league.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Been about two weeks since this rumor broke, and since that time, Warriors' GM Myers has signaled that signing a low post guy isn't on his radar right now...

And yet, as you may recall, in the last week both GSW and ATL were rumored by sources (of unknown reliability) as having some degree of interest in Ioannis Papapetrou... who I almost want us to sign just because I so enjoy saying his name... and if it were to happen, I don't even want to call him "papa"... it's a veritable linguistic rollercoaster, and too much fun to do all four syllables. 🙂

But I digress.

Well, things might be coming to a head one way or the other. The intel from Eurohoops on Papapetrou was that his window for taking advantage of his NBA opt-in has a 8/18 (tomorrow) deadline.

Ostensibly and theoretically, the General might be waiting out Papapetrou, or he might be waiting out Sap... and/or vice-versa on either.

My total guess is that there's an offer on the table for Papapetrou but the contention is how much of it is guaranteed. Almost certainly, it's a minimum contract, and Papapetrou can make more staying in Greece, but he's at an age where the NBA dream begins to ebb if he waits any longer.

My total guess is that there's an offer on the table for Millsap, but Sap is content that he can get what Schlenk is offering from too many teams, and some of those still could plausibly offer him a nicer floor minutes situation.

And Schlenk is in a position where he doesn't have to do anything... and indeed, there's something to be said for roster flexibility and keeping that 15th roster slot open. However, last time he said anything to the media, it sounded like he does feel a little exposed in the low post still. And it gets at least a little interesting if the Papapetrou option vanishes, and to see if both he and Sap's agent bend a little to get something done after all.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The latest I have is Atlanta has interest in Millsap but for the min. GS had the same interest. Sap wants 5 mil and right now, that market is dead. If Sap wants to play, the min in a leadership role is as good as it gets. 

Correct to say you've heard nothing about interest in Papapetrou?... can't confirm or deny?

• Premium Member

Kirschner's offering today knocked some sobriety into the thought that Schlenk might be... ahem... pining... for Sap.

2021-08-18_14-30-10.png

I for one find it hard to imagine that Sap would sign-on for something that isn't guaranteed.

EDIT: Newest thought.

SAS is one of the most roster-crunched teams, and squeezed out it appears will be Drew Eubanks (non-guaranteed) and very possibly Al-Farouq Aminu (buy-out).

Aminu, in particular, could be a fit... a vet PF who plausibly would be okay with a non-guaranteed deal since he'll have his 2021-22 money anyhow from the buy-out.

And though he was never a Hawk, he was a Yellow Jacket, and still calls ATL home as far as I'm aware.

• Admin
On 8/17/2021 at 3:07 PM, NBASupes said:

The latest I have is Atlanta has interest in Millsap but for the min. GS had the same interest. Sap wants 5 mil and right now, that market is dead. If Sap wants to play, the min in a leadership role is as good as it gets. 

The man has earned 186 million dollars ... geez ...   You don't need the $

Let’s bring back one of my top 12-15 Hawks of all time! Lunch pail Sap! If we win the Larry O next year with Sap it’ll be a storybook ending for him.

Paul Millsap, unrestricted 

Ideal fit:  Atlanta Hawks, Chicago Bulls

Millsap has been a solid contributor throughout his entire NBA career and his veteran presence would be invaluable for any team looking to take a leap as a potential contender.

He is still a sound defender that can guard multiple positions, as well as a capable scorer who can score around the basket or from 3-point range.

A reunion with his former Hawks could be a match made in heaven, as Atlanta looks to live up to the expectations of a team that reached the Eastern Conference Finals last season. Millsap was a four-time All-Star with the Hawks from 2013 to 2017.

The Bulls are another seamless fit as a team looking enter playoff conversations, especially after trading away a similar player in veteran forward Thaddeus Young to the San Antonio Spurs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Another guy who checks all the boxes except for one is Noah Vonleh. He's really a perfect addition--an experienced 4 who is also a legitimate option at 5, who does nothing great, but who isn't terrible at any particular part of the game either. And he's not someone who can seriously demand a guaranteed contract.

Unfortunately, the one box he doesn't check is No apparent yellow flags.

That the Nets signed him last season, and then just a few days later, let him go... that's odd. And it might have been considered nothing, except no one else chose to give him even a 10-day contract the rest of the season.

So, I dunno. Seems there's probably some behind-the-scenes jibber-jabber about him that's made him not all that appealing to GMs. Then again, our GM just took a flier on someone in the draft with some jibber-jabber working against him. So, who knows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Noah Vonleh.

I really loved this guy coming out of college. A little too much, I think I projected him as one of the bright stars of his class. He had all the talent and work ethic, not sure what went wrong with him.

Didn’t even know he was trying to stick on an NBA roster.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

So, I dunno. Seems there's probably some behind-the-scenes jibber-jabber about him that's made him not all that appealing to GMs.

I’m curious too because he seems like a low profile quiet type of kid to me. Maybe not.

How much would Marc want? He wasn’t himself last year but something tells me he would fit brilliantly with Trae. Do we have enough $ for him? Do we need him after the Dieng signing? If we could get a Raptors Gasol I’m down.

Marc Gasol not a lock to return to Lakers

i_61_ae_e1_marc-gasol.png?w=190

One more Lakers roster note: I’m hearing that Marc Gasol is not a lock to return to the Lakers, even after Gasol said following Spain’s quarterfinal loss to the United States in the Olympics that he intends to play out the final year of the two-year deal he signed with Los Angeles. It’s not yet clear if that means Gasol is poised to be set free to play elsewhere in the NBA or if he would ultimately opt to finish his career in his home country like brother Pau.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

How much would Marc want? He wasn’t himself last year but something tells me he would fit brilliantly with Trae. Do we have enough $ for him? Do we need him after the Dieng signing? If we could get a Raptors Gasol I’m down.

Marc Gasol not a lock to return to Lakers

i_61_ae_e1_marc-gasol.png?w=190

One more Lakers roster note: I’m hearing that Marc Gasol is not a lock to return to the Lakers, even after Gasol said following Spain’s quarterfinal loss to the United States in the Olympics that he intends to play out the final year of the two-year deal he signed with Los Angeles. It’s not yet clear if that means Gasol is poised to be set free to play elsewhere in the NBA or if he would ultimately opt to finish his career in his home country like brother Pau.

Shiiiiiiii, why not?  He's a champ, could give us something.

Contenders tend to stack dudes like this.  See what I did there? 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

Give me Thrillsap not some other old dude or a guy that can't stick on a NBA roster in Vonleh. We never did Nique or Joe right by bringing them back for one last run. Give that to Thrillsap. He's a great veteran leader that can guard multiple positions and step in for minutes as needed. I can't imagine a better veteran voice in a locker room.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Um. I'm missing something here... "he intends to play out the final year of the two-year deal he signed".... how is that not "clearly" indicative of his intentions?

I mean, it seems to rule out playing in Europe, and it seems to rule out, short of a trade or buy out, playing elsewhere in the NBA.

I'm not paying to go look at it b/c I don't really care that much--don't think (a) Schlenk is looking for any more pure Cs (any more than he's on the look out for another pure PG)... and (b) regardless, he's indicated his desire to sign someone to a non-guaranteed deal, and there are certain players who've accomplished too much in the league and thus have too much pride imo to accept a ng contract... Sap and Gasol both are in that pool.

EDIT: Moreover (c), those same players are naturally going to be almost as allergic to a deal for the minimum, which again, is what your GM.... who it seems people rarely believe for some odd reason but who, almost always, follows through with any parameters on any player moves he anticipates... has prescribed.

In this case, he told Kirschner days ago that if he makes a move to fill the last roster slot, it would be most likely one where he signs a big to a min ng standard contract.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Give me Thrillsap not some other old dude or a guy that can't stick on a NBA roster in Vonleh. We never did Nique or Joe right by bringing them back for one last run. Give that to Thrillsap. He's a great veteran leader that can guard multiple positions and step in for minutes as needed. I can't imagine a better veteran voice in a locker room.

The real queestion to me is whether he is ok being a vet leader who doesn't play much when the team is healthy.  While he is 35, he still started over 60% of his games last season.  Is he ok moving from starter to third string?  Don't know.  But I'd love to see it if he is.  He could definitely teach our young forwards a ton.

• Like 4

If he goes to the scrubs I’ll be upset.

i_31_e8_39_paul-millsap.png?w=190

Golden State has been the team most often linked by league sources to Paul Millsap, arguably the most consequential free agent left. Yet while the 36-year-old former All-Star has drawn interest from the Warriors, Hawks, Nets, Pelicans, 76ers and Timberwolves, no team sources contacted by Bleacher Report indicated any contract agreement with Millsap has come close to the finish line.