• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Next 60 win team

sillent

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I just listened to a podcast that was ranking the Christmas day games.  Said the ATL/NYK game is the least exciting matchup.

... earmuffs ...

200.webp?cid=ecf05e471zmiwyz1taujoh10ci3

I'm not even mad at the podcast.  I'm mad at @NBASupes for delaying the release of his dealy.  See what you made me subject myself to, supes?

I have like 6 episodes in the queue and one that I am working on right now. I'll post one tonight for sure

• Like 1

I think we are perfectly capable of a 60 win season, but this is still such a young team that hasn't proven they can sustain the good habits it takes to keep winning year after year. NOTE: I didn't say they can't do that, I merely said it hasn't been proven yet. I have zero doubt about us being a playoff team this year, and once in that we are a team nobody is going to want to face; my big question is how are we going to handle our success from reaching the ECF. How does that affect us mentally, does it rob some of our guys of the regular season focus that is needed night in and night out, or does it motivate them to grind like never before?

I'm reminded of the words of wisdom from Hollinger over a month ago from his article about the Hawks with Kirschner: 

John Hollinger: Well, I actually had a similar experience my first year in Memphis when we somewhat unexpectedly advanced to the Western Conference finals. 

And I can tell you what I learned: The beginning of the next season is more challenging than anyone thinks. Players are coming off their shortest offseason ever (one that will be even shorter this year), so conditioning is immediately a bigger problem. Players who saw their status boost in the postseason run may enter the year with, shall we say, expectations, and those might not be realistic. And finally, you’re not sneaking up on anybody. The other pernicious issue is that it’s such a letdown psychologically. Players know in the back of their minds that the games that matter are still several months away. Coming off hugely important games in June, it can be tough to fire yourself up for an October visit to Charlotte.

For those reasons I'm probably going to lean to a final tally closer to what Vegas predicts, but still over; while acknowledging if we have the right mindset and some things break our way, such as health, we are perfectly capable of running away with the #1 seed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, RandomFan said:

I think we are perfectly capable of a 60 win season, but this is still such a young team that hasn't proven they can sustain the good habits it takes to keep winning year after year. NOTE: I didn't say they can't do that, I merely said it hasn't been proven yet. I have zero doubt about us being a playoff team this year, and once in that we are a team nobody is going to want to face; my big question is how are we going to handle our success from reaching the ECF. How does that affect us mentally, does it rob some of our guys of the regular season focus that is needed night in and night out, or does it motivate them to grind like never before?

I'm reminded of the words of wisdom from Hollinger over a month ago from his article about the Hawks with Kirschner: 

John Hollinger: Well, I actually had a similar experience my first year in Memphis when we somewhat unexpectedly advanced to the Western Conference finals. 

And I can tell you what I learned: The beginning of the next season is more challenging than anyone thinks. Players are coming off their shortest offseason ever (one that will be even shorter this year), so conditioning is immediately a bigger problem. Players who saw their status boost in the postseason run may enter the year with, shall we say, expectations, and those might not be realistic. And finally, you’re not sneaking up on anybody. The other pernicious issue is that it’s such a letdown psychologically. Players know in the back of their minds that the games that matter are still several months away. Coming off hugely important games in June, it can be tough to fire yourself up for an October visit to Charlotte.

For those reasons I'm probably going to lean to a final tally closer to what Vegas predicts, but still over; while acknowledging if we have the right mindset and some things break our way, such as health, we are perfectly capable of running away with the #1 seed. 

I worry about the not sneaking up on anybody part but since Nate has taken over... we are a consistently different team.   We are what Nate's record said we were. 

In this situation, Nate has young minds in his hands.   He can make this into a killing machine.   Especially when they start believing that they are as good as they are.   Somehow, Nate has gotten them to sacrifice for the betterment of the team.  That's high level coaching.  I hope they keep that enthusiasm. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Hollinger is full of shit. That team the season before tied the Lakers for the 3rd seed, lost to LAC in the 1st round and the year after won just 6 less games. Stupid motherlover, there wasn't a major drop off. In fact, once the team found its core. They just got better and better. They peaked but they were established as one of the best teams in the western conference. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Hollinger is full of shit. That team the season before tied the Lakers for the 3rd seed, lost to LAC in the 1st round and the year after won just 6 less games. Stupid motherlover, there wasn't a major drop off. In fact, once the team found its core. They just got better and better. They peaked but they were established as one of the best teams in the western conference. 

I strongly argued they were never legit contenders at the time.  Always solid teams as far as wins in the regular season but never had the talent to be contenders for a title.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Where do we go to listen??

:search:

I haven’t heard you voice either yet Supes. I might make an evening out of it. You, me and my panda 🐼 express. Fun times! Candle 🕯 light as well. :mellow:

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Umm, OK? 

I'm confused. Where in that snippet did he claim there was a major drop-off? I mean, is something else going on here? Do you have some old beef with Hollinger or something? 

Kirschner asked him what would be the challenges for the Hawks next year, he answered the question that was asked of him by listing some of them - that's all he did. Not sure why you are getting bent about him mentioning some perfectly reasonable challenges we are likely to face. 

Just because his team successfully navigated them doesn't mean they weren't there or that they weren't real problems that had to be dealt with. 

Again, I'm genuinely confused why this even needed to be said. 

• 1 month later...

:hi:LAS VEGAS HAS THE HAWKS @ 47 WINS!

Just checked - 47 wins - that's a long ways from that hoped for 60.  Could it be that all of us here on the Squawk are too much homers?  47-35 would put us over that magical 50% mark and make the playoffs.

I believe that next Tuesday is the target date for real practice to begin.  Squawk fans are excited!  One big question:  Will Hunter be 100% healthy and ready to go?  I believe that's our only health question.  

Maybe we're hoping for too much.  But, if we are, 47 wins ain't bad.  I believe that puts us in the playoffs where we know from last season, anything can and does happen.  Meanwhile, we await the news from practice.  We're like small children at Christmas, waiting for Santa.  

GO ATL HAWKS !!

🥰

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

:hi:LAS VEGAS HAS THE HAWKS @ 47 WINS!

Just checked - 47 wins - that's a long ways from that hoped for 60.  Could it be that all of us here on the Squawk are too much homers?  47-35 would put us over that magical 50% mark and make the playoffs.

I believe that next Tuesday is the target date for real practice to begin.  Squawk fans are excited!  One big question:  Will Hunter be 100% healthy and ready to go?  I believe that's our only health question.  

Maybe we're hoping for too much.  But, if we are, 47 wins ain't bad.  I believe that puts us in the playoffs where we know from last season, anything can and does happen.  Meanwhile, we await the news from practice.  We're like small children at Christmas, waiting for Santa.  

GO ATL HAWKS !!

🥰

They lowballed us a bit but hey, what’s new. 

10/18/21 9:00 PM 

ATL Hawks Regular Season Wins 

• Over 46.5-130 
  • Under 46.5EVEN 

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 12:57 AM, Diesel said:

I worry about the not sneaking up on anybody part but since Nate has taken over... we are a consistently different team.   We are what Nate's record said we were. 

In this situation, Nate has young minds in his hands.   He can make this into a killing machine.   Especially when they start believing that they are as good as they are.   Somehow, Nate has gotten them to sacrifice for the betterment of the team.  That's high level coaching.  I hope they keep that enthusiasm. 

Last and the next few years will be looked back upon as Nate’s Opus ✨

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 8/21/2021 at 5:45 PM, RandomFan said:

A fairly good forecast of what actually happened this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1