2021-2022 Post/In- Between Game Thread: Thoughts, Updates, Tidbits etc.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
Just now, bleachkit said:

Come on. Are you really gonna cry for Trae because the media has to gall to ask him a tough question or criticize certain aspects of his game when warranted? If he played in NY or Philly he would get way more of that. I think Trae is making a mistake by going after him, you have to pick your battles and going after media isn't worth it unless they are crossing the line with personal stuff. 

Did you listen to that post game presser and then read the article?

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Come on. Are you really gonna cry for Trae because the media has to gall to ask him a tough question or criticize certain aspects of his game when warranted? If he played in NY or Philly he would get way more of that. I think Trae is making a mistake by going after him, you have to pick your battles and going after media isn't worth it unless they are crossing the line with personal stuff. 

Trae is going after Chris for Chris being unprofessional.  That's fine.  You as a writer shouldn't shame a potential subscriber for being broke.

It's fair to say Chris' question was fair and Trae's call out was also fair. 

On a side note:  The "beef" between Trae and John was reported by Chris so there may be some animosity there.  I think Chris is pretty fair and calls it like he sees it.

Edited by marco102

8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

It was a legit question and I don't understand why everyone was so defensive about it.  Trae was making some bad decisions.  When you have John and Kevin hot, why are you hoisting up a shot with 16 seconds on the clock and not moving the ball for the best shot. 

Chris does stir some controversy, but I don't like the pile on for him doing his job.  

However, what Chris said to that potential subscriber was unprofessional and Trae should have called him out.  However, it's Chris fight or flight response because he's been taking so much heat lately. 

A basketball player with a quarter billion dollar contract talking about another man's business model and/or money is not a good look. Sorry. Trae should stick to his another day, another opportunity tweets. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

It was a legit question and I don't understand why everyone was so defensive about it.  Trae was making some bad decisions.  When you have John and Kevin hot, why are you hoisting up a shot with 16 seconds on the clock and not moving the ball for the best shot. 

Chris does stir some controversy, but I don't like the pile on for him doing his job.  

However, what Chris said to that potential subscriber was unprofessional and Trae should have called him out.  However, it's Chris fight or flight response because he's been taking so much heat lately. 

He's free to ask it.  I just think it was an incredibly lazy question.    If it's a bad decision then it's bad whether he makes it or misses it.   Trae takes those all the time but you just wait until it doesn't go in and we lose the game to say 'uhhh that's not a good decision'.  "Do you think that was the best decision...".  He actually asked that.  That's stupid.  

To me a 3 pointer that a guy makes 40% of the time isn't a terrible decision.   Not to mention you're coming at the guy who is responsible for like 60% of the team's points anyway.   I don't see questions of Capela about why he panic throws shots at the rim or other players who are turning the ball over or unable to get open for shots.    

He comes after Trae with weak stuff like this because he knows it will get attention.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

A basketball player with a quarter billion dollar contract talking about another man's business model and/or money is not a good look. Sorry. Trae should stick to his another day, another opportunity tweets. 

He didn't talk about his business.   He talked about him accusing a fan of 'being broke' because the guy doesn't want to buy his product.   

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

He's free to ask it.  I just think it was an incredibly lazy question.    If it's a bad decision then it's bad whether he makes it or misses it.   Trae takes those all the time but you just wait until it doesn't go in and we lose the game to say 'uhhh that's not a good decision'.  "Do you think that was the best decision...".  He actually asked that.  That's stupid.  

To me a 3 pointer that a guy makes 40% of the time isn't a terrible decision.   Not to mention you're coming at the guy who is responsible for like 60% of the team's points anyway.   I don't see questions of Capela about why he panic throws shots at the rim or other players who are turning the ball over or unable to get open for shots.    

He comes after Trae with weak stuff like this because he knows it will get attention.  

Trae's long early in the shot clock threes are always going to be controversial. Traditionally, those are considered bad shots, but those are part of his game. 

• Like 1

How much money you have has nothing to do with it. 

CHRIS was the one who said the potential subscriber was broke.  Trae called him out on that because Chris can't shame Trae about being broke. 

But continue on your nonsensical tirade .  It's okay to say that Chris was right to ask the question of Trae and Chris was wrong to say what he said to that guy.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

How much money you have has nothing to do with it. 

CHRIS was the one who said the potential subscriber was broke.  Trae called him out on that because Chris can't shame Trae about being broke. 

But continue on your nonsensical tirade .  It's okay to say that Chris was right to ask the question of Trae and Chris was wrong to say what he said to that guy.

Chris should not have said that to the guy, but why does Trae need to weigh in on it? It's honestly beneath him. But whatever it's not big deal.  

Chris should not have said that to the guy, but why does Trae need to weigh in on it? It's honestly beneath him. But whatever it's not big deal.  

Free to weigh in on whatever he wants.  It's not beneath him if he felt the need to respond to Chris. 

I mean, I know it's Trae's way of piling on Chris, but what you put out in Twitterverse can come back to bite you.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

This was my issue.  It was hardly a question and more of just letting Trae know he thinks he shouldn't take deep 3s... something that Nate can do in the locker room if it's an issue.  He asks him about a specific shot in the game and it being early in the shot clock but then doesn't even know what shot he's talking about (he actually calls out the 8th minute then corrects himself later that it was at the 5 minute mark).

It's a bummer because I would have liked to hear Trae's answer on a more thoughtfully worded question that didn't force Trae to be defensive.  He could have asked the question in a way that resulted in new information, something like:

"Trae - Deep 3s have always been a part of your game.  When do you decide to take them and what factors influence whether you take a deep 3 earlier in the shot clock or later?"

All of this.  Exactly.   I think that's the reaction that most fans are having but have trouble putting in to words.   But it's emboldened Chris to say "I'm just a tough reporter".      

• Like 1

Just now, marco102 said:

Free to weigh in on whatever he wants.  It's not beneath him if he felt the need to respond to Chris. 

I mean, I know it's Trae's way of piling on Chris, but what you put out in Twitterverse can come back to bite you.

Seems like Trae is letting everyone know he doesn't like Chris, probably  because of a question or an article he objected to. Going after journalists is not a good look in my opinion, but Chris did give Trae an opening to take a shot and he took it. I just hope this doesn't become a thing.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Seems like Trae is letting everyone know he doesn't like Chris, probably  because of a question or an article he objected to. Going after journalists is not a good look in my opinion, but Chris did give Trae an opening to take a shot and he took it. I just hope this doesn't become a thing.  

Same here.  They don't need to start a twitter war. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I think it'll be gone real quick honestly.   I'm on Hawks twitter but i do have to say that compared to here there are some terrible takes from fans out there.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think it'll be gone real quick honestly.   I'm on Hawks twitter but i do have to say that compared to here there are some terrible takes from fans out there.  

MS Dee, who may be a member here, stirs up too much drama for my liking. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Chris probably said something in an article Trae didn't like. The truth is as a journalist , if athletes like you all the time you're probably not doing your job. Sometimes you have to criticize. I think he's generally pretty fair.  

I agree with this. I read the Athletic daily and Chris does a really good job covering the team. It is rare I think he is being unfair to a player or coach. If anything he is more patient and takes a longer view than almost all the fans.

• Like 2