• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My trade deadline disappointment

thecampster

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Well that's some underhanded passive aggressiveness on your part. AHEM, I was, am and will forever be against tanking. I firmly aligned with KB21 back in the day and endured every arrow volley he inspired.

JJ is being featured in College Park, which he isn't ready for. But he most certainly could be 2nd/3rd option on the second unit as a slasher, shooter, energy guy.  

I am 100% convinced Gallo isn't going to be here next year and so I'm all for seeing what I've got going forward. I don't see TLC as the answer and would have been perfectly happy giving his minutes to JJ.  Exactly how many games did TLC win us this year?  How many quality minutes did Solomon Hill's 15.4% from 3, 15% FG% overall provide? The dude played 140 minutes this year.

My comments was not directed at you.  But I read somebody say  "I wished that we had traded Gallo so that JJ could move up and play", then somebody (maybe same person) say " We are not a championship contending team so I don't mind us playing our Rooks."

To me... that's what I call a Welfare mentality.   It's essentially saying let's just toss the rest of the season so that we can develop these rookies...and the added benefit is that we will get a better draft pick...

I hate that mode of thinking.   We are in pursuit of the sixth spot in the playoffs and possibly could get higher.  Moreover, no team in the East makes me feel like we have no chance against them in a 7 game series.   We have talent. 

All this talk about Solo.  Solo was a vet who knew what to do even if he wasn't as skilled as some young players.   He helped the guys on the court get to the right places EARLY in the season.  That was while OO was still out.  That was while our lineup was still changing. Solo's last game was Dec 5. If I listen to all the bellyaching about Solo in this thread, you would swear that Solo played every game until he was injured and averaged 20 mpg. 

Solo played in 13 games out of 24 Possible.    These are Solo's games below...  GARBAGE TIME MINUTES. Remember that time that Steph Curry scored 50 Points on us??  Solo played 5 minutes in the 4th quarter because THE GAME was OVER... Do you know why JJ didn't play in that game or the Utah game or the Denver game?? Because he didn't make the WC trip...

11 4 2021-11-08 30-235 ATL @ GSW L (-14) 0 13:02 0 1 .000 0 0   0 0   0 2 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.6 -1
12 5 2021-11-09 30-236 ATL @ UTA L (-12) 1 22:05 0 2 .000 0 1 .000 0 0   1 3 4 3 0 1 0 4 0 1.4 0
13   2021-11-12 30-239 ATL @ DEN L (-9) Did Not Play
14 6 2021-11-14 30-241 ATL   MIL W (+20) 0 1:15 0 0   0 0   0 0   0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0
15 7 2021-11-15 30-242 ATL   ORL W (+18) 0 8:52 0 0   0 0   0 0   0 1 1 1 1 1 0 2 0 1.9 +6
16   2021-11-17 30-244 ATL   BOS W (+11) Did Not Play
17   2021-11-20 30-247 ATL   CHO W (+10) Did Not Play
18   2021-11-22 30-249 ATL   OKC W (+12) Did Not Play
19 8 2021-11-24 30-251 ATL @ SAS W (+18) 0 3:21 0 1 .000 0 0   0 0   0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 -1.1 -1
20 9 2021-11-26 30-253 ATL @ MEM W (+32) 0 5:36 0 2 .000 0 2 .000 0 0   1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 +3
Rk G Date Age Tm   Opp   GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS GmSc +/-
21 10 2021-11-27 30-254 ATL   NYK L (-9) 0 12:06 0 2 .000 0 0   0 0   2 1 3 0 1 0 0 1 0 0.9 +3
22 11 2021-12-01 30-258 ATL @ IND W (+3) 0 13:49 0 2 .000 0 2 .000 0 0   0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 -0.8 -1
23 12 2021-12-03 30-260 ATL   PHI L (-2) 0 12:55 1 2 .500 0 1 .000 0 0   1 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 2.3 +6
24 13 2021-12-05 30-262 ATL   CHO L (-3) 0 4:08 0 0   0 0   0 0   0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.0

So While we were trying to make our Cam Reddish Second team work, Solo played.   We don't know why, we just know that. But you make it to seem as if Playing So was an every game occurance.   Solo played during garbage minutes and because he's a vet that won't mess up. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, marco102 said:

That was my personal expectations coming in too.  That's why I'm not complaining.  

I think JJ has some potential and he's improving his defensive positioning in the g league but he's had plenty of Trae Young moments on defense. 

His best skill right now is his passing. If he improves his handle and shooting touch, he'll be a monster on the offensive end.  Also, like to see more hustle out of him as far as getting to rebounds and getting back on defense.

I think it's a totally wrongheaded suggestion that we bring them up to play.    Somebody saying that must be fan watching and not thinking basketball.   Here's why:

JJ played Half a season at Duke and didn't play BB during his Senior year of HS.  He has a great BB body but he has shown Up here on the big show that he isn't that good at defense in some cases and offense in some cases.   Somebody screams... BRING HIM UP.

Here's my question:

Is it better to Play him in the G-League where he will get the training that he needs and play consistent starters minutes...

Or

Bring him up and give him the Kevin Knox Treatment where the only time you play is during a Blow out. 

All I have heard about is Solo and TLC...  Well guys Like Solo and TLC would not get anything but Garbage minutes right now.. as proven by how often we see TLC and Deing...  To be clear.. the only time we saw Solo is when we were injured. 

Right now, Nate has his first and 2nd Unit set.   When or how do you expect JJ to play??

I mean, he can be called up and sit the bench and play those Garbage minutes... But I think it's much better for him to play in the G-League where he can develop.   He's signed to more than this year. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, High5 said:

Fans always think rookies are the answer. If we're going to make any noise this season it's going to be because of the 9 or 10-man rotation we've seen lately. Our team looks most like a contender when our bench vets are in a rhythm. 

If the question is what will help us get the best record this season, it is very likely the answer is not "big playing time for our rookies."  But if the question is "what will do the most to help us prepare for next season while still letting us compete this year" the answer of "give Jalen a limited role in the rotation of ~10 mpg adjusted per game conditions and his play that night" might be the answer.

If Jalen plays nothing but G-League competition it is unlikely he is going to be ready to do much of anything to start next year.  That is the Lakers let Kobe fire a bunch of stupid shots as a rookie with 15.5 mpg even though he was not helping them to compete and that was a 56 win team.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

If Jalen plays nothing but G-League competition it is unlikely he is going to be ready to do much of anything to start next year.  That is the Lakers let Kobe fire a bunch of stupid shots as a rookie with 15.5 mpg even though he was not helping them to compete and that was a 56 win team.  

That's not fair AHF.  First off, you know that they didn't have a G-League back then.  #1. 

Also, By midseason, Kobe was playing more like 24-25 mpg...

Finally... Everybody talks about Kobe's legendary work ethic.  As a rookie he worked on his game tirelessly.  That plus Being Jerry West's cash cow meant that Kobe would find minutes... and he did. 

Maybe we just dont get the stories of Jalen's work ethic.  But he has a whole G-League to improve his game.   Playing G-League competition is better than college level competition. 

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's not fair AHF.  First off, you know that they didn't have a G-League back then.  #1. 

Also, By midseason, Kobe was playing more like 24-25 mpg...

Finally... Everybody talks about Kobe's legendary work ethic.  As a rookie he worked on his game tirelessly.  That plus Being Jerry West's cash cow meant that Kobe would find minutes... and he did. 

Maybe we just dont get the stories of Jalen's work ethic.  But he has a whole G-League to improve his game.   Playing G-League competition is better than college level competition. 

You mean after getting pretty consistent but limited (~10 minutes) work against real NBA players where they gave him more or less time on a given night depending on gameflow and his own play and learning through the rough play he was more ready to face NBA competition?  And they let him do this in a playoff season despite him shooting 25% and 33% for a few of those months so that he grew by learning to deal with those struggles?  Do tell.

49 minutes ago, AHF said:

If the question is what will help us get the best record this season, it is very likely the answer is not "big playing time for our rookies."  But if the question is "what will do the most to help us prepare for next season while still letting us compete this year" the answer of "give Jalen a limited role in the rotation of ~10 mpg adjusted per game conditions and his play that night" might be the answer.

We're just fighting to get back to .500 right now. I don't think we have the luxury of sacrificing 10 mpg for his development.

As I was watching the latest Sky Hawk games, the announcers were talking about how much JJ had grown in his maturity this season in the G League.

He has needed this.  He had a long way to go when he became a Hawk.  He's been putting in the work.  He doesn't have to be in the NBA to grow and mature.  

JJ is an Atlanta Hawk, assigned to College Park.  We also have our two, 2 way players on that roster.  In time, perhaps the G League will grow until it is like baseball's minor league.  I hope it happens.

Grow your own takes time.  Hawks have some good players in College Park.

:sun:

9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

It is a mild disappointment. There's the refrain that rookies dont help you win, at least not on good teams. Well that does not appear to be the case this year. How about what Mobley is doing in Cleveland. Scottie Barnes is Toronto. Yes they were higher picks, but guys that taken after JJ have been solid contributors. Cam Thomas has been a scoring tear. Herbert Jones and Aso Dusunmu have been excellent as well. There's no good reason JJ couldn't have gotten more burn this year. 

Dont forget about Zaire Williams.. He's been starting for Memphis..

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

You mean after getting pretty consistent but limited (~10 minutes) work against real NBA players where they gave him more or less time on a given night depending on gameflow and his own play and learning through the rough play he was more ready to face NBA competition?  And they let him do this in a playoff season despite him shooting 25% and 33% for a few of those months so that he grew by learning to deal with those struggles?  Do tell.

I think that JJ's miniutes were given him during garbage time or when we had a real shortage of players.   Somebody has already mentioned that when the COVID went around, he was affected too.. so that takes away the possibility of him playing in place of the 10 dayers.   

If you're talking about Kobe.  If they had the G-League back in 1994 do you think Kobe would have been exempt?  Especially coming straight from HS?  He probably would have played in the G-League. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

If you're talking about Kobe.  If they had the G-League back in 1994 do you think Kobe would have been exempt?  Especially coming straight from HS?  He probably would have played in the G-League. 

Looking at this year’s rookies, I think you’d say that with the G-League the norm remains giving rookies time with the big boys.  Would also say that if they had made Kobe spend a year in the G-League it would have slowed down his development and been a mistake.

But most rookies aren’t Kobe so that isn’t a true parallel.  Just would like to see JJ get a few minutes every game for two weeks and see if he could contribute.

5 hours ago, High5 said:

We're just fighting to get back to .500 right now. I don't think we have the luxury of sacrificing 10 mpg for his development.

That is fair.  We definitely have regressed hard this year.  I am admittedly influenced here by my lack of faith in the team’s playoff prospects this season.