• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My trade deadline disappointment

thecampster

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

It could be he's just not good. Who knows?

HOLIC!!!  How dare you say that.. You know we drafted him, therefore, he must be great.   I mean, even with his lack of College and HS games... he's got to be Great.    I mean, let's forget he didn't really play in his senior year in HS and let's forget that he only played in NON Conference games at Duke...because he broke his foot...  This guy has to be a basketball savant because we drafted him. 

Or maybe he needed time in the G-League to learn about team play on this level. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

How do we know that if he never gets to play? He's got 58 minutes all season so far. That's nothing. 

He should be dominating the G-League.  Why are we in such a rush to get him on the court in the NBA when we're in the middle of a playoff run?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

He should be dominating the G-League.  Why are we in such a rush to get him on the court in the NBA when we're in the middle of a playoff run?

If a bum like Hobo can get minutes in a rotation then a lottery talent like Jalen could get minutes. And he has played very well in the G-league this year. 17/10/4 is pretty good. 

It is clear Nate is not going to play him at all this season. Hopefully trades happen in the offseason to either let Jalen get minutes or we trade him as an asset. Right now we've completely wasted his rookie season and retarded his growth and development. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If a bum like Hobo can get minutes in a rotation then a lottery talent like Jalen could get minutes. And he has played very well in the G-league this year. 17/10/4 is pretty good. 

It is clear Nate is not going to play him at all this season. Hopefully trades happen in the offseason to either let Jalen get minutes or we trade him as an asset. Right now we've completely wasted his rookie season and retarded his growth and development. 

Maybe a guy like Solo Knows how to play team basketball.  Oh, i forgot, we don't care if a guy actually knows how to play the game because when I pull out my playstation and see his abilities, I can make sure he plays the right way???  

Right now, team chemistry is really good.   Right now, we have guys who come out on the second unit who know what to do, knows how to share the ball, knows how to play defense.  HONESTLY.. when JJ first got run for us... He played as selfishly as Cam.  Probably because he hasn't had to play team ball before.  ON the team in the middle of a playoff run is not the time to be trying to train a young guy to learn the lessons that he missed in HS and College.   That's why there is a G-League.

Maybe Nate Plays him, Maybe he doesn't.  However, we've signed him for more than 1 year for a reason.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Diesel said:

So the truth is that some Hawks fans want to go back to tanking because they don't believe. 

Welfare Mentality Part 2. 

Well that's some underhanded passive aggressiveness on your part. AHEM, I was, am and will forever be against tanking. I firmly aligned with KB21 back in the day and endured every arrow volley he inspired.

JJ is being featured in College Park, which he isn't ready for. But he most certainly could be 2nd/3rd option on the second unit as a slasher, shooter, energy guy.  

I am 100% convinced Gallo isn't going to be here next year and so I'm all for seeing what I've got going forward. I don't see TLC as the answer and would have been perfectly happy giving his minutes to JJ.  Exactly how many games did TLC win us this year?  How many quality minutes did Solomon Hill's 15.4% from 3, 15% FG% overall provide? The dude played 140 minutes this year.

That was some really lazy shade throwing there. You're better than that.  But Camp, "When we're connected, we're as good as anyone!!!"  Please.  Let's get the rooks connected 10 minutes a game each.

image.thumb.png.0304a90680c6ab3969c709462436499c.png

image.thumb.png.38745972d886d2cf3ea6eb644fb50537.png

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Maybe a guy like Solo Knows how to play team basketball.  Oh, i forgot, we don't care if a guy actually knows how to play the game because when I pull out my playstation and see his abilities, I can make sure he plays the right way???  

Right now, team chemistry is really good.   Right now, we have guys who come out on the second unit who know what to do, knows how to share the ball, knows how to play defense.  HONESTLY.. when JJ first got run for us... He played as selfishly as Cam.  Probably because he hasn't had to play team ball before.  ON the team in the middle of a playoff run is not the time to be trying to train a young guy to learn the lessons that he missed in HS and College.   That's why there is a G-League.

Maybe Nate Plays him, Maybe he doesn't.  However, we've signed him for more than 1 year for a reason.  

Again.....AHEM!!! I play great team basketball, but you don't want me suiting up for the minutes Solo got.  The guy just has a quiet 17/10 nightly. Makes good passes and freaking cuts to the basket and oh yah, gets the rebounds you are supposed to get.  If he blows a defensive assignment because he's new, I can live with that. What I can't live with is giving up a parade offensive rebound put backs every night because everyone on the floor is flatfooted when a shot goes up.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Diesel said:

So the truth is that some Hawks fans want to go back to tanking because they don't believe. 

Welfare Mentality Part 2. 

Welfare:  From Old English, wel faran "condition of being or doing well".   Old English "wel", abundantly, very, very much, indeed, to be sure, with good reason, to Latin "velle" to wish, will.   "Faran", Old English, to journey, road, passage, expedition.  

Yes, Hawk the Moor wants the Horus to go on a good journey.

Horus Guardian of the Pharaoh (Silver) 1/6 Scale Figure

Edited by Hawkmoor

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Thank god I’m already on the list. :dance:

#morninfun #preyogajokes #afteryouvhangeyoushortswhilesittinginyourcardontlookdown 

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Yeah this is all fair.  Really makes this thread look pretty strange.  Maybe OP was up all night after a Schlitz and meth bender?  Seems likely.

The list - Album on Imgur

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Great conversation.

I didn't expect our rookies to get consistent minutes in the regular rotation if we had all our players available, healthy and we were winning.

With guys on minutes restrictions, in and out of the lineup, I expected spot minutes when we needed a lift or some bench energy- throw them in and see if they gave us a positive impact and lifted us. Like we did with Nathan Knight. Or if a player was injured, instead of letting them fill in, coach would just shorten his rotation.

Agree.

My thing is, our rookies and even Skylar have talent. They are not just some charity cases we feel bad for. They genuinely provide skillsets that could have helped us, especially in limited minutes where they could be hidden among the main rotation.

The only playing time they get is with each other, so of course their rawness and mistakes are going to stand out even more. But if were willing to let Cam play through his struggles, I know we can let JJ do the same when Gallo has to sit, or Cooper when Lou is out.

• Moderators

I just don't understand the take "how do we know if JJ is any good if we haven't played him"?   College Park isn't far away and there are games on TV and Youtube.  Not to mention he practices with the team.  

What you're really saying is several things

1. Nate and the coaching staff doesn't know how to recognize or develop talent

and/or

2. they have an agenda against playing rookies (see OO if you think this is true)

You're not going to hold a job very long if either of those things are true.   You think Travis would be ok with JJ not playing if he really thought he was ready?  He can evaluate talent too.  that's his job.  

And don't come at me with G league can't show you what they can do in the NBA.   It can show you very clearly what they aren't good at it.  It was suggested JJ as an 'energy' guy off the bench.   That's not what i see when i watch him play.  

The guy is really talented.  His time will come.   And I am as anxious and excited to see him out there as most fans.   But there are real reasons he's not playing.  It's not a conspiracy or incompetence.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I just don't understand the take "how do we know if JJ is any good if we haven't played him"?   College Park isn't far away and there are games on TV and Youtube.  Not to mention he practices with the team.  

What you're really saying is several things

1. Nate and the coaching staff doesn't know how to recognize or develop talent

and/or

2. they have an agenda against playing rookies (see OO if you think this is true)

You're not going to hold a job very long if either of those things are true.   You think Travis would be ok with JJ not playing if he really thought he was ready?  He can evaluate talent too.  that's his job.  

And don't come at me with G league can't show you what they can do in the NBA.   It can show you very clearly what they aren't good at it.  It was suggested JJ as an 'energy' guy off the bench.   That's not what i see when i watch him play.  

The guy is really talented.  His time will come.   And I am as anxious and excited to see him out there as most fans.   But there are real reasons he's not playing.  It's not a conspiracy or incompetence.  

Image of Why, oh, why didn't I take the blue pill?

• Haha 2

They fell for a reason. It's because they were raw. Atlanta knew that and took them because of their upsides. There struggles early on in the Gleague should have told you how far these two are from being productive at this level. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Great conversation.

I didn't expect our rookies to get consistent minutes in the regular rotation if we had all our players available, healthy and we were winning.

With guys on minutes restrictions, in and out of the lineup, I expected spot minutes when we needed a lift or some bench energy- throw them in and see if they gave us a positive impact and lifted us. Like we did with Nathan Knight. Or if a player was injured, instead of letting them fill in, coach would just shorten his rotation.

That was my personal expectations coming in too.  That's why I'm not complaining.  

I think JJ has some potential and he's improving his defensive positioning in the g league but he's had plenty of Trae Young moments on defense. 

His best skill right now is his passing. If he improves his handle and shooting touch, he'll be a monster on the offensive end.  Also, like to see more hustle out of him as far as getting to rebounds and getting back on defense.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

There's been plenty of minutes that could have been given to JJ that were given to TLC and G-League randos. 

Maybe you already knew this, but Jalen's played in more NBA games (13) than he has G-League (8)... so it would seem to have been a question of health for him that he's not played at all anywhere most nights.