• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gotta Stop Complaining About Officiating

benhillboy

• Moderators
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

NBA Referee Assignments

April 19, 2022

Referee assignments are posted at approximately 9:00am ET each game day.

Replay Center: Bill Kennedy, Josh Tiven

Sorry to ask a stupid question but I don't follow the refs as closely as you guys.  What do the #s mean?

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

referee-nba-110521.jpg

What's on their uniform to identify them. That's all. Its not seniority or anything that I'm aware of.

I stand corrected:  https://basketballnoise.com/why-do-nba-referees-have-numbers-on-their-uniforms/

"NBA referees have a number on the back of their uniforms to make them easier to identify. The league uses the numbers for tracking calls made during the games. Fans are also able to quickly search referees by their number through a simple google search. Wikipedia lists every referee and their appointed number. It is similar to players wearing numbers for identification purposes. The only difference is players’ jerseys also have their last name, while referees do not. But why do referees need to be identified regularly? There are quite a few reasons."

"

"

How are NBA Referee Jersey Numbers chosen?

Once officials make it to the regular full-time staff in the NBA, they are assigned a number by the league without being given a choice. However, suppose a number becomes available sometime during the regular season. In that case, officials can request a number change to whatever is available. If there are multiple requests on the same number, whoever has seniority gets first dibs."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

referee-nba-110521.jpg

What's on their uniform to identify them. That's all. Its not seniority or anything that I'm aware of.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Isn't that their shirt number?

Duh.  I was thinking it was some kind of rating for them.  

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I do recall Goble being an arse who Holman calls out by name for being, well, an arse.  Only hope is they decide to show the Heat their a** to force the series to go long.

Well Eric Dalen the Alternate is a really, really good referee if I recall but again, he's the alternate. Tre Maddox prefers a slowed down game so he tends to call more fouls. If you start running a lot, he'll call a foul just to catch up. He doesn't seem to like chaos.

Edited by thecampster

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I do recall Goble being an arse who Holman calls out by name for being, well, an arse.  Only hope is they decide to show the Heat their a** to force the series to go long.

Goble played with Haslem if I remember correctly. Maybe I’m wrong but I heard it like 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Its like someone at Sports Illustrated is taking cliff notes on my posts.

Huh? Bro you need to stop admiring yourself in the mirror. :indifferent: It’s not very becoming. I might have to bleach you. Lol.

12 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Huh? Bro you need to stop admiring yourself in the mirror. :indifferent: It’s not very becoming. I might have to bleach you. Lol.

The quoted article which came out like an hour after my post has been changed just enough to not be called plagiarism.   Compare the content of 

to

https://www.si.com/nba/hawks/news/did-the-miami-heat-play-dirty-against-trae-young

I kid of course but the similarities are too close to not point out.  For example: from my response post after my original post 

" You are supposed to wrap a player up going to the basket. This usually entails arm over arm. That wasn't the case. There wasn't a play on the ball there. It was an unnatural wrap up. I agree with most of the NBA.  But it was a flagrant 1."

From the SI article: 

"When trying to stop a player from converting an and-one layup, you wrap them up around their body. Instead, Tyler Herro swiped downwards at Young's face. Of course, Young converted the old-fashioned three-point play anyway."

Just a lot of similarities to my posts in this thread.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

The quoted article which came out like an hour after my post has been changed just enough to not be called plagiarism.   Compare the content of 

to

https://www.si.com/nba/hawks/news/did-the-miami-heat-play-dirty-against-trae-young

I kid of course but the similarities are too close to not point out.  For example: from my response post after my original post 

" You are supposed to wrap a player up going to the basket. This usually entails arm over arm. That wasn't the case. There wasn't a play on the ball there. It was an unnatural wrap up. I agree with most of the NBA.  But it was a flagrant 1."

From the SI article: 

"When trying to stop a player from converting an and-one layup, you wrap them up around their body. Instead, Tyler Herro swiped downwards at Young's face. Of course, Young converted the old-fashioned three-point play anyway."

Just a lot of similarities to my posts in this thread.

I definitely saw it as well.  It is perfectly possible that it was simply done in parallel and if the article had to go through editorial review and approval then the timing would suggest it was done independently but the parallels are there.

I do think anyone doing a good job on this topic would be focused on the same couple of egregious BS fouls so to me the bigger similarities are around how the article is organized and written which is fairly similar in tone and content.

Either way, you have to say the post was at least worthy of being a Sports Illustrated article based on...well...it basically be the same as an SI article.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I definitely saw it as well.  It is perfectly possible that it was simply done in parallel and if the article had to go through editorial review and approval then the timing would suggest it was done independently but the parallels are there.

I do think anyone doing a good job on this topic would be focused on the same couple of egregious BS fouls so to me the bigger similarities are around how the article is organized and written which is fairly similar in tone and content.

Either way, you have to say the post was at least worthy of being a Sports Illustrated article based on...well...it basically be the same as an SI article.

and I was just being funny saying it.  Was more interested in bringing out the point that this isn't just fan whining but was noticed by a lot of people. I saw chatter about it on twitter yesterday. There were some Youtube videos as well.

11 minutes ago, thecampster said:

and I was just being funny saying it.  Was more interested in bringing out the point that this isn't just fan whining but was noticed by a lot of people. I saw chatter about it on twitter yesterday. There were some Youtube videos as well.

Ok, Pat.  Good job throwing us off the trail, Mr. Benson.

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47a70lrc3gnqicf7ckcvm

• Haha 2

So during last year's playoffs, I met a feller who runs a nice Youtube channel focused on wagering and is a Bucks fan.  I sent him the SI article and gave him a short primer asking him for his take.  Would be nice to have an outsider, non Hawk fan opinion.

He runs a decent channel if you want to check it out...enough said sports on Youtube  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYVV7vTf04W5YXgZKMhAw3Q/videos

I'll let you know what he says.

• Thanks 1