• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gotta Stop Complaining About Officiating

benhillboy

Point blank.  It’s disingenuous at best.  You can’t have rose-colored glasses getting mad at the whole league complaining about Trae before the rule change.  Is the entire league and every teams’ fans complaining about how many whistles the heat get?  I’m not on social media but I don’t think they are.  Trae went viral outside of basketball circles.

This notion that the league and officials are out to put us at a disadvantage is just off base.  David Stern hated the Spurs, nothing even he could do to prevent their dynasty.  Contenders draw fouls and don’t foul, it’s that simple.

Hawks took over 2 more FT attempts than their opponents this season and everyone on the squad is finesse-based outside of Delon and OO.  You think opposing fan boards aren’t highlighting some questionable call that benefits us every night?  The heat flip that, all of their players have varying levels of ruggednesses outside of Robinson and Herro.  How to sell and mask contact is a coaching aspect, we can all agree Nate ain’t on his counterparts level this series.

There are dozens of actions on 200+ plays that affect the outcome of a game.  Don’t give the zebras all that damn credit when our best dribble drive attacker is 6 feet 170 pounds who never plays near the rim and theirs is 6’7” 230 who lives at the rim.  

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, GameTime said:

That Lowry "clip" could of tore Trae's ACL. Egregious.  

That was a cheap shot disguised as a play on the basketball. That could've ended Trae's season and set this franchise back years. 

• Thanks 4

The fact is that unless Nate or Trae or someone else in the Hawks organization makes a huge deal about the refs, the game will not be called any differently.  They have to fight through it and learn how to counter what they are doing.

Crying about every call is not going to help the Hawks.  You simply have to overcome it, pure and simple.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

The refs didn't beat the Hawks.  It was the horrible shooting and even worst play calling decisions by Nate.

It was mainly the shooting.  We were 2 - 18 at one point in this game from 3 point range, and the game wasn't out of hand yet.

People either have to make shots, or go to the basket and see if they can draw contact.  We successfully did that in the 1st quarter, by shooting 12 FTs.

Their starters dominated ours.  That has to be resolved in Game 2.

• Like 2

I get where you’re coming from because the game was by decided by our terrible play and not officiating. That being said I’d break a referee’s jaw if I could get within arm’s reach of one. F*ck ‘em.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We got abuse tho 

I'll complain about ALL of these.^^^^ 

What say you about these @benhillboy

I don't mind physically basketball, the Hawks gotta toughen up and nut up but I do need the refs to call it close to down the middle. I expect the home team to have a ref advantage.

The refs weren't the reason we lost.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Point blank.  It’s disingenuous at best.  You can’t have rose-colored glasses getting mad at the whole league complaining about Trae before the rule change.  Is the entire league and every teams’ fans complaining about how many whistles the heat get?  I’m not on social media but I don’t think they are.  Trae went viral outside of basketball circles.

This notion that the league and officials are out to put us at a disadvantage is just off base.  David Stern hated the Spurs, nothing even he could do to prevent their dynasty.  Contenders draw fouls and don’t foul, it’s that simple.

Hawks took over 2 more FT attempts than their opponents this season and everyone on the squad is finesse-based outside of Delon and OO.  You think opposing fan boards aren’t highlighting some questionable call that benefits us every night?  The heat flip that, all of their players have varying levels of ruggednesses outside of Robinson and Herro.  How to sell and mask contact is a coaching aspect, we can all agree Nate ain’t on his counterparts level this series.

There are dozens of actions on 200+ plays that affect the outcome of a game.  Don’t give the zebras all that damn credit when our best dribble drive attacker is 6 feet 170 pounds who never plays near the rim and theirs is 6’7” 230 who lives at the rim.  

That's BS....

Much BS...

Herro committed a Flagrant 1 with the Hands to the face....  Nothing. 

I believe that Lowry's clip was on purpose. 

If you're a Miami Homer... go over there and be a Miami homer.  But don't come over here and talk about the things that are over the top shouldn't be talked about...  F--- That BHB...

The Heat were allowed to be very physical with us and we were not allowed to be physical with them.  Half of the time I was looking to try to see where your boy Jimmy was fouled. 

How bout this... How bout if the Hawks sent somebody out like JJ to go after Jimmy Butler.  ON Purpose.... I bet your boy bitch up...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Are you telling me that your intelligent view of this is that The Hawks shouldn't expect a fairly called game when they lose by so much or they shoot so badly??

This is what you come up with??

So now.. the outcome determines whether or not fairness was implemented??

I want you to think about that for a moment BHB... Really.  

Outcome determines fairness.

Keep thinking about it.  Take it out of the realm of sports for a moment.

Outcome determines fairness...

Do you see it yet??

If it's a competition, BHB, the competition should be as fair as possible regardless of the outcome... or the expected outcome.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'd expect this thread from a Heat fan whos been programmed to see their fouling as "defense".

That said, we have to do a better job at adjusting to the fact that they will be allowed to play outside even 'playoff' rules foul-wise.

Bullies count on their bullying to get you outside your 'normal'.  Once they see you complaining, that's half the win for them.

And again, all that said, this is in no way an acknowledgement that the way the game was called was proper in any way.

Just, I'd rather fight back and let the chips fall where they may.  As opposed to trying to stay within the rules, lose, then complain when we get screwed.

The screw is in.  Deal with it accordingly.

If the fake-hustle dive into knees and ankles is 'legal'.  Why not put Mays in and give him marching orders that end up somewhere in the vicinity of Bam's legs?

Hey, call it 'hustle' and apparently that makes it a-ok. 

Don't get me wrong.  I applaud our guys.  We didn't do a lot of bellyaching on the court... although if they had, it would have been warranted.  What I hate is that it's not an even playing field.   IF the Refs allowed the games to be ramped up.. fine... as long as it's equal.  The real problem came with watching Butler and these touch fouls.. or these fouls that he created.   Trae can't get into the lane without being slapped punched and kicked and Jimmy Butler is looked at hard and it's a foul...  Give me equality. 

If this happens next game, I say Nate give Jimmy a little TLC...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Yeah I'm not going to stop complaining lol but I do think if the refs allow that much physicality, Nate has to coach the team to give it back.  There were some inconsistent calls but we left a little bit on the table by not matching their intensity.  I hardly blame the guys after the very emotional win Friday and then a flight to Miami and game in like 36 hours.  We had no time to mentally or physically prepare for this game.  Trae played 40 minutes Friday with the team on his back.  As long as Schlenk is showing the league clips of Lowry stiff arming Trae's face and recklessly diving around, next game should have a different tone.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Don't get me wrong.  I applaud our guys.  We didn't do a lot of bellyaching on the court... although if they had, it would have been warranted.  What I hate is that it's not an even playing field.   IF the Refs allowed the games to be ramped up.. fine... as long as it's equal.  The real problem came with watching Butler and these touch fouls.. or these fouls that he created.   Trae can't get into the lane without being slapped punched and kicked and Jimmy Butler is looked at hard and it's a foul...  Give me equality. 

If this happens next game, I say Nate give Jimmy a little TLC...

And lol at the idea that we just have to take it 'cause, "Thas jus' the way that game's called" or w/e.

If that's how they're allowing the game to go, some dude in a Heat jersey needs to finish the series in street clothes.  Thoughts and prayers, tho.  Thoughts and prayers.

Edited by kg01
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Weird post. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  Not even the same situation. The league and fans were complaining about Trae when everything he was doing was within the rules.  They were actually complaining about the rules and just using Trae as the example. On the other hand, last time I checked smacking a guy in the face as he finishes his layup isn't just a common foul, it's a flagrant. Diving at a guys legs isn't a no call. Shoving a player in the chest after a shot isn't a no call.  Those are clear rule violations that were missed.  

Do I think they were missed on purpose because the NBA wants us to lose?  Absolutely not.  The Heat are a physical team, the Hawks are not. And these are the playoffs so we expect the intensity and physicality to take a notch up.  To be clear, the refs were NOT the reason the Hawks lost, but they absolutely were a contributing factor to how the game went and fashion in which they lost.  You don't go -14 on FGM, -8 on 3PT FGM, and -3 on TO and win in the playoffs.  But if the correct calls had been made throughout the game, maybe the Hawks are down 20 in the 3rd instead of 30. 

More than anything, Game 1 set the tone for the series. If the refs continue to allow Miami to assault the Hawks without consequence, then the series is already over, regardless of whether the Hawks can shoot better going forward.  That's a problem.  

• Like 3