• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gotta Stop Complaining About Officiating

benhillboy

3 hours ago, thecampster said:

The quoted article which came out like an hour after my post has been changed just enough to not be called plagiarism.   Compare the content of 

to

https://www.si.com/nba/hawks/news/did-the-miami-heat-play-dirty-against-trae-young

I kid of course but the similarities are too close to not point out.  For example: from my response post after my original post 

" You are supposed to wrap a player up going to the basket. This usually entails arm over arm. That wasn't the case. There wasn't a play on the ball there. It was an unnatural wrap up. I agree with most of the NBA.  But it was a flagrant 1."

From the SI article: 

"When trying to stop a player from converting an and-one layup, you wrap them up around their body. Instead, Tyler Herro swiped downwards at Young's face. Of course, Young converted the old-fashioned three-point play anyway."

Just a lot of similarities to my posts in this thread.

I see. I thought it was because both of the different articles included the word “the”.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, thecampster said:

and I was just being funny saying it.  Was more interested in bringing out the point that this isn't just fan whining but was noticed by a lot of people. I saw chatter about it on twitter yesterday. There were some Youtube videos as well.

#Ghostwriter :er:......you just funning us right. :ph34r:

Just now, Gray Mule said:

THE BUTLER DID IT!

One of the great foul calls that I observed last night.  Butler was fouled by one of the Hawk players when he hit Butler squarely in the elbow with his chin.  Two free throws by Butler.

I will not complain.  Refs are doing their great job!  Hopefully, we all can agree!

😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/18/2022 at 2:43 PM, kg01 said:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e476eavlo1xpecb04ghos

See people think I'm all fluff and silly gifs but ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47yhaz8eqkie8fhr0ksq

Seriously though, the only thing that could throw a wrench in it is the fact that PHX plays tomorrow too and the league may want to see that series go beyond 4 games.  NOP being the babe of the league and all, for some reason.

For those that don't know, Chris Paul has a pretty bad record when Foster officials his games.  Why?  Well for the exact reason campst's post illustrates.  When it's time to tighten up on the rules, they send Foster (or someone like him) in.  As Paul typically operates outside the rules, he's negatively impacted by a ref who actually enforces them.

They (players) painted it (Pauls record with Foster) as some kind of bias.  It ain't that.  It's just that most refs lack the guts to call the game as they see it as opposed to calling the game as it's dictated to them by Paul.

So my crystal ball was obscured by bias but I know what TF I'm talking about w.r.t. Foster/Paul.  Suns go down last night.  It ain't a conspiracy if it's true.

Foster is the hero we need.  It's just up to the league to let it happen.

Sadly, as I predicted, last night was more of same from these scared a** refs.

To be clear, it's not biased reffing, it's scared reffing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, kg01 said:

So my crystal ball was obscured by bias but I know what TF I'm talking about w.r.t. Foster/Paul.  Suns go down last night.  It ain't a conspiracy if it's true.

Foster is the hero we need.  It's just up to the league to let it happen.

Sadly, as I predicted, last night was more of same from these scared a** refs.

To be clear, it's not biased reffing, it's scared reffing.

What do you mean scared reffing ? Can you elaborate, srsly just trying to get a more objective view of the dynamic of the issues with NBA refs

1 hour ago, hylndr11 said:

What do you mean scared reffing ? Can you elaborate, srsly just trying to get a more objective view of the dynamic of the issues with NBA refs

It seems very apparent that certain refs are afraid to make the call they see.  You don't make it to the league without having a certain thickness to your skin, so I'm not saying they're "afraid" of players/coaches.

I do, however, think they don't want to deal with crap for a whole game.  So they succumb to the campaign of complain we see with Heat players who behave as if they've never committed a foul.

Secondarily, there is a school of thought that "they aren't gonna call everything".  It happens in college basketball a ton, imho.  Whenever there's a team that makes their bones on defense, they take advantage of the fact that refs literally won't call contact on every play.  They just won't.  Knowing this, they maintain a level of contact that constitutes fouls and the refs essentially adjust to this as the new normal.

That's how fouling becomes "defense".  That's what we're seeing.  A ref with guts can avoid this.  That's what we haven't seen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Secondarily, there is a school of thought that "they aren't gonna call everything".  It happens in college basketball a ton, imho.  Whenever there's a team that makes their bones on defense, they take advantage of the fact that refs literally won't call contact on every play.  They just won't.  Knowing this, they maintain a level of contact that constitutes fouls and the refs essentially adjust to this as the new normal.

That's how fouling becomes "defense".  That's what we're seeing.  A ref with guts can avoid this.  That's what we haven't seen.

Yup.  1512403816_community-fist-bump.gif

On 4/18/2022 at 6:41 PM, AHF said:

Miami embraces physical play with this mentality:

"If you foul 3 times on every possession then the refs won't call all of them because they don't have the patience or desire to get attention for calling fouls on 20 consecutive possessions and so they will swallow the whistle most of the time.  Do this and you can get away with 70% of your fouls and make life much harder for the opponent.  The best part is that if the opponent is playing clean the refs will probably reach for fouls to call against them so that it doesn't seem so 'lopsided' with all the calls going against one team."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Teams get physical with the Hawks because they know the Hawks aren't going to retaliate. There is no room here for crying. Soft teams are going to be bullied. It is going to continue until the Hawks put an end to it. Why should the Heat change their style of play if the Hawks continue to take it. The Hawks need to bring some ballplayers in that won't take it. That will put an end to it in a hurry. You can't have a whole team of soft ballplayers. It just won't work. 

• Moderators
14 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Why should the Heat change their style of play 

The answer should be that the refs call out their BS and whistle them.  Flagrant for Herro on Trae.  Flagrant for Lowry throwing himself at Trae's knees.  Flagrant for Lowry for elbow to Trae's face.  Offensive foul for Butler when hitting Gallo's face.  Blocking foul on Vincent when he moves his feet into Trae's path and bumps him.  Etc.

The core of your question is "why should the Heat change their style of play when the refs aren't making the calls"?  And the answer is there is no reason not to continue it if they aren't going to get held accountable.  

It is like asking why should the Heat not dunk their free throws.  If the refs are going to allow them to walk up to the basket and dunk the ball instead of requiring them to stand at the free throw line then there is no reason for them to actual shoot free throws.  Dunk away.

The proper answer should be that the refs aren't going to allow flagrant rule breaking to go unpunished and will call a foul a foul and that is why they shouldn't keep throwing elbows in our face.  But if the refs allow it to happen then they should continue irrespective of whether the Hawks retaliate or not.

• Like 2

The refs are letting too much physical play go this season and it’s not because I don’t like it. I LOVE PHYSICAL PLAY!!!

Having said that, they thrusted these kids into physical play and it’s gonna end up in someone getting hurt or a fight.

I would be very surprised if this series ended without some drama.

• Premium Member

Like somebody said, somebody is going to get hurt.

It doesn't make sense that the league would pull out all of these Foul baiting rules... and then not uphold regular foul rules. 

It's not just our series.  It's Brooklyn series.  It's Toronto's series. 

I'm not going to say that Embiid stepped on Barnes ankle on purpose... But I can't say that he didn't either. 

Our series I believe the physicality is pumped up higher because of the "culture" of Miami.   Trae actually pulled a Steve Nash there.  We have to see if Trae has any cache in this league.

• Like 1