• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gotta Stop Complaining About Officiating

benhillboy

25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not at all.  It's bs.  I hate it.   But it's reality for some reason.   

Many of us said this months ago.  When Lowry and Morris and PJ landed on the Heat there were several of us who said that this means they will be hacking people with impunity come playoff time.   And then look what happens in game 1.   Now how could we know that 6 months in advance?  Is it because we are geniuses?  No it's because it's pre determined league shenanigans.   Everyone knows it, the Heat know it, they use it to their full advantage.   But watch the Hawks try it and we'll see a different story.     

Eggsactly.  We all saw their roster moves before the "new" rules were even announced.  Before.

It's shameless.  The only thing I don't understand is why?  Just to cowtow to Riley?  Why?

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The real question is why can the Heat for decades play this way and others don't.   They don't have the same players they had 10 years ago?   Sure 'culture' but why doesn't that culture work elsewhere.   No one else has tried it?  that seems unlikely.   What seems more likely is the league/officials like having predictable story lines much like WWE.  And the Heat line is 'phycicality'.  Whatever.  We knew this was coming.  I'm not surprised at all.  

I do believe that there is a culture in Miami and I believe that  based on the fact that I remember Pat Riley in NY.   Riley in NY was responsible for Anthony Mason, Charles Oakley, and others.   He took NY from being a tough finesse team to being a tough defensive physical team.  Thuggary...   Latrelle Spreewell.   And he moved that culture to Miami. 

I agree with what somebody else has said.. we have to match their intensity. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Point blank.  It’s disingenuous at best.  You can’t have rose-colored glasses getting mad at the whole league complaining about Trae before the rule change.  Is the entire league and every teams’ fans complaining about how many whistles the heat get?  I’m not on social media but I don’t think they are.  Trae went viral outside of basketball circles.

This notion that the league and officials are out to put us at a disadvantage is just off base.  David Stern hated the Spurs, nothing even he could do to prevent their dynasty.  Contenders draw fouls and don’t foul, it’s that simple.

Hawks took over 2 more FT attempts than their opponents this season and everyone on the squad is finesse-based outside of Delon and OO.  You think opposing fan boards aren’t highlighting some questionable call that benefits us every night?  The heat flip that, all of their players have varying levels of ruggednesses outside of Robinson and Herro.  How to sell and mask contact is a coaching aspect, we can all agree Nate ain’t on his counterparts level this series.

There are dozens of actions on 200+ plays that affect the outcome of a game.  Don’t give the zebras all that damn credit when our best dribble drive attacker is 6 feet 170 pounds who never plays near the rim and theirs is 6’7” 230 who lives at the rim.  

Again, this ain't it chief. 

Lowry diving at the Trae's leg.  Even he knew he almost f***ed up because he went to Trae and apologized.  If they had knocked Trae out of the series because of that stupid ish, then if I were Nate, I'd send every third string player in for the rest of the game with instructions to muck up Jimmy, Bam, Robinson, Herro, and Lowry.  I'm talking elbows to the head, rolling of ankles, and everything.  Get your flagrant 2's as long as they are out a significant of time and ruin Miami's chances.

I don't mind physical basketball, but that wasn't what Miami was doing yesterday. 

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Haha, Jimmy Jackson'll be on the broadcast like, "Wow Atlanta going with a strange starting lineup tonight.  Is that Ivan Johnson?  I wonder what this strategy is all abo.. 

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47a0wmmhcp17cwiqx2pl

...ohhhhhh, that's gotta hurt!"

Was thinking this morning about Ivan Johnson.  Trying to figure out if we had ANYONE on the roster to fill that role should Game 2 go like Game 1 with all the assaults.  Sad thing is.....I'm not sure we have anyone in that mold.  We got rid of Solo and he'd be the perfect dude for it.  

You really gonna ask Gorgui to rough someone up?  Or Skylar?  TLC?  

Edited by REHawksFan

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Eggsactly.  We all saw their roster moves before the "new" rules were even announced.  Before.

It's shameless.  The only thing I don't understand is why?  Just to cowtow to Riley?  Why?

It's marketing.   The 'gritty' Heat rattling Trae Young in the playoffs?    This is the role they want the Heat to play because they can sell it.    A straight up officiated 1-8 matchup between the Heat and Hawks?  They are afraid no one would watch that.

The league wants these teams to generate drama.  Why they chose the Heat i don't  know but probably because they had the players to do it and now it's their 'culture'.   So they both just kept on with it.   It's not a master plan so much as a let's roll with what's been working.  The same reason stars never foul out.  

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I concur with all @thecampster said in his days long diatribe.  I took some vacation time, but I got through it all.  Everyone should be proud.  I usually tap out after about 3 sentences.  whew

I will add that I was shocked to hear most NBAradio people considered Capela's foul on Mobley to be very dirty.  They stopped short of saying he got what he deserved in ending up hurt himself.  Rick Mahorn, of all people, said this.  He's got some nerve, to put it mildly.

To campst point, I expect to see Scott Foster on our game tomorrow.  Him or some other vet-laden crew.

So Capela's play wasn't "dirty" but it should have been a flagrant 1.  You are supposed to wrap a player up going to the basket. This usually entails arm over arm. That wasn't the case. There wasn't a play on the ball there. It was an unnatural wrap up. I agree with most of the NBA.  But it was a flagrant 1.

I also am not so sure the hop back was intentional on Mobley's part.  He was out of control going down and I believe it was an awkward attempt to gain some balance. Unfortunate but not intentional.

The Lowry play bothers me because he is making a play on a loose ball there....My problem is Lowry covers up to protect himself from contact. He knows he's diving into the way of a moving player. This is not a non-allowed play but it is a play Lowry would not make in the regular season because of the risk of injury to himself. It was a dangerous play and he knew it immediately going directly to Trae. I don't think he did this out of genuine remorse but out of fear of repercussion. Unwritten rules thing. No diving at legs no matter what.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I also am not so sure the hop back was intentional on Mobley's part.  He was out of control going down and I believe it was an awkward attempt to gain some balance. Unfortunate but not intentional.

I think it was definitely intentional.  I'm sure he wasn't intending to hurt him but was mad at getting hacked and trying to make contact.   Mobley is actually falling the other way (toward being on his stomach) which is why Capela doesn't move, then at last minute pushes toward Clint. 

Lowry's play was dirty.  Sorta like when Smart dove into Curry's legs.  Maybe not "dirty" but certainly dangerous.  Knowingly dangerous, which ultimately makes it dirty - follow that logic.

Mobley definitely accelerated into Clint's legs.  I could see it as him trying to skid rather than land with a thud ... but Capela happened to be in the way.  I could see that simply being an unfortunate thing.  The NBA people seemed to think along the lines of 'well if you pulled the guy down you should've gotten outta the way'.

To me, that's an unnecessarily callous way of speaking of a guy that actually did end up hurt.  I thought 'player safety' was a 'thing'.  It's not like he pulled Mobley out of the air.  It's not like he fake-hustle dove into Mobley's ankles .... (see what I did there?)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I concur with all @thecampster said in his days long diatribe.  I took some vacation time, but I got through it all.  Everyone should be proud.  I usually tap out after about 3 sentences.  whew

I will add that I was shocked to hear most NBAradio people considered Capela's foul on Mobley to be very dirty.  They stopped short of saying he got what he deserved in ending up hurt himself.  Rick Mahorn, of all people, said this.  He's got some nerve, to put it mildly.

To campst point, I expect to see Scott Foster on our game tomorrow.  Him or some other vet-laden crew.

The Mahorn thing just registered. Yah, who the F%$# does he think he is criticizing rough play. That joker made a living ruining insurance company profits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I think it was definitely intentional.  I'm sure he wasn't intending to hurt him but was mad at getting hacked and trying to make contact.   Mobley is actually falling the other way (toward being on his stomach) which is why Capela doesn't move, then at last minute pushes toward Clint. 

See I get that. It really is a matter of perspective and I do tend to think the best of people.

25 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Notice who isn't on this list???

NBA Referee Assignments

April 18, 2022

Referee assignments are posted at approximately 9:00am ET each game day.

Replay Center: Bill Kennedy, Justin Van Duyne
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Notice who isn't on this list???

NBA Referee Assignments

April 18, 2022

Referee assignments are posted at approximately 9:00am ET each game day.

Replay Center: Bill Kennedy, Justin Van Duyne

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e476eavlo1xpecb04ghos

See people think I'm all fluff and silly gifs but ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47yhaz8eqkie8fhr0ksq

Seriously though, the only thing that could throw a wrench in it is the fact that PHX plays tomorrow too and the league may want to see that series go beyond 4 games.  NOP being the babe of the league and all, for some reason.

For those that don't know, Chris Paul has a pretty bad record when Foster officials his games.  Why?  Well for the exact reason campst's post illustrates.  When it's time to tighten up on the rules, they send Foster (or someone like him) in.  As Paul typically operates outside the rules, he's negatively impacted by a ref who actually enforces them.

They (players) painted it (Pauls record with Foster) as some kind of bias.  It ain't that.  It's just that most refs lack the guts to call the game as they see it as opposed to calling the game as it's dictated to them by Paul.

• Like 1