• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

It is Murray helps cover more teams weaknesses

I'll only say this much...

... Yes, perhaps, but what are the unintended consequences?... you just reveal new team weaknesses... so there's no real advantage as a result.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, sturt said:

Don't think the stats bear that out.

But I don't emphasize that if he's going to be playing beside Trae. It's mainly that he be a capable assist-guy, but someone who otherwise is (a) too much of a threat to double-team Trae constantly, and (b) a defensive force.

Brogdon has been that, and has been that for a long time... proven.

It's just a matter of health.

("Just".... hehe... yeah, I know.)

Availability is everything, especially with our squad always having something going on! I think fair value for Brogdon is a top 20 pick. Don't wanna touch Mr glass with a 20 foot pole in case it keeps him out for another 50 games 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, akay said:

Is trading JC for Brogdon buying low? I feel like John should be able to get a better return when considering Malcoms injury history.

This team has lost too many games each of the past 2 seasons to injuries. It would be nice to get someone who can play at least 60 games

For reference, Brogdon plays 50ish games a season, jc 60ish, and Murray nearly 70. 

Murray feels like the most obvious candidate for long term success on the Hawks 

Like I said, I would easily do Brogdon for Gallo + FRP(protections)...  Easily. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

You are really trying to stir up some 💩, aren’t you?

As if fantasies of Ayton, Murray, and KD aren’t enough to turn the Squawk into a frenzy of insanity, you’re just going to casually drop this in the mix?

Really? Why not include Steph, Giannis, and Jokic, too?

You know he's sitting back, chuggin a glass of milk, and enjoying all this.

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Like I said, I would easily do Brogdon for Gallo + FRP(protections)...  Easily. 

Agreed, Gallo + lotto protected Frp is the most id spend. I feel like GM's have similar feelings regarding Malcolm considering he's been in the trading block for a while. 

Him and Myles both have much lower value than the pacers are hoping for/expect otherwise they would have been gone already

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

their new salaries are kicked in July 8th

You're sure about this (?).

I remain baffled. This came up a few weeks ago with Supes.

The 21-22 season is done, but the inherent assertion is that the 21-22 season salaries still apply... and that's just foreign to me. As far as I've ever known, trades that are made after the season but before 7/1... because the player has already played and made his 21-22 money... technically aren't official until after 7/1 and accordingly must be based on the salary for the next season.

But your telling me this suggests I'm wrong... and not just that I'm wrong present tense, but literally for all the time we've been doing this salary cap thing in the NBA, I've been wrong.

I've scoured the CBA FAQ site. Not finding evidence I'm wrong. Help me.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, hazer said:

Too much? 🤔😜

That's a shot. I think.

But... "too much"... ummm.... based on???

Not sure what that means.

If post count... well, I'm never among the leaders in that column.

If word count... oh... okay... but you see, from my side of the internet, that just comes off as people upset with the substance of what's written. If you really don't like reading, then you... simply... don't bother reading. You're happy. I'm happy. We're all happy. If you veer off into these non-substance things, then it's an excuse to not deal with the substance. Deflection.

If none of the above... I'm completely lost, but okay...

1 hour ago, sturt said:
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Look at it like this. If you add KD with... Kyrie... you become one of the most viewed teams in the league with 2 guys that could claim that they're top 10 talents. And when you have that, it puts you at least in the contender conversation.

Doesn't seem so satisfying when you put it in context.

And.

Real Hawks = .621

Brooklyn is 59 - 31 with Kevin Durant  ( .655 win percentage ) . . . . . 100 games played

Brooklyn is 58 - 45 with Kyrie Irving   ( .563 win percentage ) . . . . . .  103 games played

Brooklyn is 27 - 17 with both Durant and Irving ( .614 win percentage ) . . . 44 games played  ( that's actually incredible that they've only played 44 games together ).

So the combo of Durant and Irving was actually successful . . . they just didn't play enough games together.  They honestly were good enough last year to win the whole thing, and would've knocked Milwaukee out if KD's toe wasn't on the 3 point line.  This season, they were missing outside shooting, particularly Joe Harris.  And because they fought to get into the playoffs, they ended up playing the #1 seed, instead of calling this season a wash and playing the lottery.

But using your "Real Hawks" theory . . . if the "Real Nets" played the whole year, that team is more than likely a top 3 seed in the East and doesn't get bounced until late in the EC Semis.  A lot of people still believed they could make a run and get to the Finals, even as a 7 seed.

Mainly because of Durant's greatness.

23 minutes ago, sturt said:

You're sure about this (?).

I remain baffled. This came up a few weeks ago with Supes.

The 21-22 season is done, but the inherent assertion is that the 21-22 season salaries still apply... and that's just foreign to me. As far as I've ever known, trades that are made after the season but before 7/1... because the player has already played and made his 21-22 money... technically aren't official until after 7/1 and accordingly must be based on the salary for the next season.

But your telling me this suggests I'm wrong... and not just that I'm wrong present tense, but literally for all the time we've been doing this salary cap thing in the NBA, I've been wrong.

I've scoured the CBA FAQ site. Not finding evidence I'm wrong. Help me.

New salary cap is instituted the day after day 1 of the new season during the moratorium.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Brooklyn is 27 - 17 with both Durant and Irving ( .614 win percentage ) . . . 44 games played  ( that's actually incredible that they've only played 44 games together ).

Good for 5th seed in 2021-22, but right there with the upper tier and plausibly may have been #1.

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This season, they were missing outside shooting, particularly Joe Harris. 

Right. Which goes to the core of my point... it's about the team, not two players with marquee names.

You are right, though, when you said, "it puts you in contender status." I just don't think it does anything more than that. The upper tier is too good, at least right now.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Glad you went there.  You can take ANY word and go from its true meaning, and go into informal, which takes you away from the substance of the word.  Thats how they play with you.  Thats how you make it easy for them to keep doing this.

informal (adj.)

mid-15c., "lacking form; not in accordance with the rules of formal logic," from in- (1) "not, opposite of" + formal (adj.). Meaning "irregular, unofficial, not according to rule or custom" is from c. 1600. Sense of "done without ceremony" is from 1828.

formal (adj.)

late 14c., "pertaining to form or arrangement;" also, in philosophy and theology, "pertaining to the form or essence of a thing," from Old French formal, formel "formal, constituent" (13c.) and directly from Latin formalis, from forma "a form, figure, shape"

You are acting like he used the word in a way that isn’t the commonly understood meaning of it in modern language.  I doubt you were born into a year where calling a statement “dumb” in the United States wasn’t understood by every listener to mean that the statement was stupid.  

This seems pretty petty as far as disagreements go since it seems to be nothing about what was intended or understood by the statement.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

How come nobody informed me that the Sixers got Melton? @NBASupes this is on you. If your boy Melton switches unis then I’m gonna have to be informed. Thanks.

Oh and, dang, I don’t want that good bench guy in the East.

I mentioned that trade the other day... Thats a nice get For the 23rd pick..

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Amazing, I was just looking up Wade’s early seasons to figure this out.  I agree.  This scenario reminds me of where we are with Trae.  

Wade immediately turned the Heat around, and won in the playoffs.  Once that happened, Riley didn't waste any time to act and put greater talent around him.  This is what we must do with Trae. 

There is no time to wait for people to develop in 2 - 3 years, because by that time, Trae could be disgruntled and being wooed by every franchise that covet his service.  And by year 4 of his big deal, he could be asking out.

Some say we shouldn't cater to Trae's demands.  I say that is unrealistic in today's NBA.  A front office can do what they thing will make the team successful, but they better make sure their star player is totally bought into their vision.

Say what you want about players conspiring to team up to play with each other, that has proven ( most of the time ) to be a winning formula.  The last thing we want, is for Trae to end up like Dame Lillard in Portland, whose organization shoud've been traded CJ McCollum to put a frontline star player with Dame, instead of trying to with with a great backcourt that had maxed out its value. 

It was OK to roll with CJ and Dame for a few years.  But once they saw that it wouldn't get them deep into the WC Finals, they should've sold high on CJ.

Instead, they wanted too long and got moderate value for him.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But using your "Real Hawks" theory

I'm not being purposely obtuse when I ask... what exactly do you mean by this?

Real Hawks really did achieve .621.

To my knowledge, the Nets did not have to resort to 3rd stringers and G-Leaguers in their starting line-up, but I'll double-check that.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

For STARTERS, the guys below never played in the NBA and did well "telling players how to play the game."  Hubie Brown, widely considered the greatest teacher of the game, ever, never played in the NBA, and told PLENTY of NBA players " how to play the game." Finally, I'm there are probably a billion posts on this forum from posters commenting on how a player " plays the game."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1671529-must-nba-coaches-be-former-players-to-succeed#:~:text=Gregg Popovich and Erik Spoelstra,only two men still coaching.

Popovich never played in the NBA. Red Auerbach.  Spoestra, Vogel, I can go on and on.

Hubie Brown: Leadership, Practice Planning and Game Management - Basketball  -- Championship Productions, Inc.

This I agree with you on.  Just because Josh Smith played in the NBA didn’t mean that fans couldn’t correctly criticize his shot selection.  

I don’t agree with your take on Trae but I do think criticism of it on the basis that you are merely a fan is off base.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Trae was in a different league from Iverson as a passer.  Trae was a MUCH better scorer too because he needed like 4-5 fewer shots to score the same amount of points.  Trae’s floor is AI on offense.

I can agree to this.  I have often called him "Trae Iverson" when he goes on those scoring runs.  Even "inconsistent Trae" is more lethal as a scorer than Iverson, because Trae can legit score at so many levels on the floor.  And you're correct about Trae's passing vs AI's passing.  It's not comparable.

I cited Damon Stoudamire because I think that's what most NBA "experts" thought he would be at best.  None of them thought he would be a potential Hall of Famer.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

There is no time to wait for people to develop in 2 - 3 years

You won't develop much more than .621.

But I'd sure like to see what one more year does, since, put together with the previous season's run, Real Hawks performed at

ummmm... get this...

.653 clip.

(Ressler, are you getting this? Travis??? Landry???)