• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Scale of 1-10, how much of an improvement is the 22-23 roster *defensively* over 21-22? (Just polling the congregation, no gaslighting intended)

sturt

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'm super optimistic because i think we will start the season with better chemistry and we have guys who have a lot to prove.   

But I have to admit that replacing Huerter with Holiday and Gallo with Kaminsky has me concerned.   I get that we really replaced Kev with Murray which was sorely needed but we really needed Kev off the bench.  If Holiday can give us some firepower great but we'll see. 

I don't think it works like that.  You can't just look at a player's ppg and compare it to a replacement. Points are scored by the team and the system it runs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm super optimistic because i think we will start the season with better chemistry and we have guys who have a lot to prove.   

But I have to admit that replacing Huerter with Holiday and Gallo with Kaminsky has me concerned.   I get that we really replaced Kev with Murray which was sorely needed but we really needed Kev off the bench.  If Holiday can give us some firepower great but we'll see. 

It was going to be either Huerter or Bogi off the bench in the 6th man role - I think one or the other was always going to be traded once we got Murray.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It was going to be either Huerter or Bogi off the bench in the 6th man role - I think one or the other was always going to be traded once we got Murray.

Only because money is an object.  It's not a move to improve us on the court.  All I'm saying is that the main backups for Trae/Murray/Hunter are Bogi coming off knee surgery and 33 year old Justin Holiday.   That doesn't not concern me.

And let's say Hunter gets hurt (far fetched i know).  then we're starting Holiday and our backup 3 is .........?

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Gallo's production will be the hardest to replace on offense just given his offensive versatility.

Agree with this but also he shot us right out of games last year as well. I’m not saying Gallo was a ME guy, just saying he jacked up a lot on the offensive end for what he gave up on D. Again, he wasn’t the worst defender, he just wasn’t great either.

By committee sounds right though. Also true about Gallo, I hope he doesn’t do anything clutch for the Celts cuz he’s not afraid to hoist that baby up that’s for sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

John will easily replace Gallo's production since Gallo was essentially the starting power forward down the stretch of the season and in the play in games

Why doesn’t JC just do his part instead of trying to do both parts. Not knocking him just saying if he’s the starter at the 4, you want him to fill in production for the bench 4 as well? Maybe I’m reading this wrong.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Agree with this but also he shot us right out of games last year as well. I’m not saying Gallo was a ME guy, just saying he jacked up a lot on the offensive end for what he gave up on D. Again, he wasn’t the worst defender, he just wasn’t great either.

By committee sounds right though. Also true about Gallo, I hope he doesn’t do anything clutch for the Celts cuz he’s not afraid to hoist that baby up that’s for sure.

This such a true statement but many posters don't see the negative in the particular players they like. There was no world in which Gallo was worth even $12 mil in a season let alone the over $20 mil he was due to get from the Hawks.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Why doesn’t JC just do his part instead of trying to do both parts. Not knocking him just saying if he’s the starter at the 4, you want him to fill in production for the bench 4 as well? Maybe I’m reading this wrong.

He was hurt down the stretch of the season and missed 22 games therefore during that critical stretch, Gallo was the started with Hunter as the back up. This year he returns to his starting spot with a legit back up which should more than make up for Gallo's overrated contributions

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

There's some revisionist history going on with Gallo here.   I do think he's starting to show his age but in our playoff run to the ECF he was our 2nd leading 4th quarter scorer by a good bit.  Shot 40% from 3 overall in the playoffs.    He was extremely important to our success.  

Sure maybe we can easily replace what he did last year but do we want to be like last year's team or the year before?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

There's some revisionist history going on with Gallo here.   I do think he's starting to show his age but in our playoff run to the ECF he was our 2nd leading 4th quarter scorer by a good bit.  Shot 40% from 3 overall in the playoffs.    He was extremely important to our success.  

Sure maybe we can easily replace what he did last year but do we want to be like last year's team or the year before?

Even 2 years ago, Gallo contributed nothing else other than 3 point shooting when he was hot. No rebounding or defense which are just as important to winning if not more.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Even 2 years ago, Gallo contributed nothing else other than 3 point shooting when he was hot. No rebounding or defense which are just as important to winning if not more.

I mean that's an exaggeration.  His D ain't great but at least he provided size and some experience.   But you're neglecting the fact that he was our only post up threat.  Which we went to a ton.   Not to mention he was our only big who could dribble. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

JJ can dribble. But seriously, Gallo was 11 ppg on 43% shooting. That production can be easily replaced

Not to be last word larry but production on the stat sheet can always be replaced.   It's getting buckets when you really need one and being an actual threat to score that's difficult.    Kyle Korver averaged 10 pts on 46% shooting for the Hawks. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

We will have to see about this.   Hunter is the biggest enigma on this team.  Some squawkers just like him because we drafted him.  IF he wee with the Pelicans for instance..  Would we be calling asking for his trade price??  No...  He hasn't done anything and he's been injured.  Kev was a good college player too.. so let's stop saying that that means something in relation to Hunter.   Our house of cards is sorta built on if Hunter will be good. 

I somewhat agree with this but Dre has proven he is a good one on one defender in the NBA.   I really agree that any championship hopes we have run through him.  He has to be the X factor both offensively and defensively in order for us to get over the top.  The best case that shows that was his impact in the New York series.  However he hasn’t been consistent enough. 

Just now, MarylandHawk said:

I somewhat agree with this but Dre has proven he is a good one on one defender in the NBA.   I really agree that any championship hopes we have run through him.  He has to be the X factor both offensively and defensively in order for us to get over the top.  The best case that shows that was his impact in the New York series.  However he hasn’t been consistent enough. 

To answer the OP’s question though I would say 7.5. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Not to be last word larry but production on the stat sheet can always be replaced.   It's getting buckets when you really need one and being an actual threat to score that's difficult.    Kyle Korver averaged 10 pts on 46% shooting for the Hawks. 

I understand exactly what you are saying and I agree that having a tough shot maker is extremely valuable (especially down low). I do think that we are underestimating what having a bonafide 2nd star-level player will do for us. Murray's ability to make and create shots is unlike anything we have had on the roster since the arrival of Trae. He isn't apples to apples as far as position and scoring style, but he will make a huge impact where we will no longer be forced in to taking those tough shots just because Trae is trapped or on the bench. 

Gallo was a bail out guy for us, but hopefully with better playmaking next to Trae we won't need to be bailed out quite as often. 

Dre is the guy that I expect will have to account for the (hopefully fewer) tough shots that we will have going forward. He has that ability to square up and get a good look off. That will need to be a part of his growth.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Diesel said:

We will have to see about this.   Hunter is the biggest enigma on this team.  Some squawkers just like him because we drafted him.  IF he wee with the Pelicans for instance..  Would we be calling asking for his trade price??  No...  He hasn't done anything and he's been injured.  Kev was a good college player too.. so let's stop saying that that means something in relation to Hunter.   Our house of cards is sorta built on if Hunter will be good. 

I absolutely like him because we drafted him.  That's sort of what comes with being a fan -- supporting the players that join your team.  I haven't seen anyone out here advocating we pay him $20M+ a year though.

To add to this, it's more that we have no choice but to root for Hunters improvement.  We're well above the soft cap and there's not really a better option to improve at SF over hoping for Hunter to get better.