Where will our bench mob rank?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Where does our bench rank heading into 22-23

• Top 5 Outstanding
    • Top 10 Pretty good
    • Top 15 Average
    • Top 20 lagging
    • Top 25 Bad bench
    • Top 30 Horrid bench who put this group together???

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/19/2022 at 03:14 AM

Where do we rank in terms of our bench mob heading into the season? 

Where do we rank in comparison to the Heat, Celtics, Bucks Sixers and other benches that we will battle all year?

Did Schlenk assemble a group that’s gonna mesh? 

How does it compare to last year’s mob?

11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We have 2 legit 6 men of the year candidates on our bench unit in Okungwu and Bogi playing with an allstar point guard 100% of the point guard minutes and some are concerned about our bench???   I don't get it!

Agree.  I think our lineups will be different this year.  Not really an all bench lineup.  They will stagger to fit with DM and Trae.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We have 2 legit 6 men of the year candidates on our bench unit in Okungwu and Bogi playing with an allstar point guard 100% of the point guard minutes and some are concerned about our bench???   I don't get it!

I think it depends on what you mean by bench. 

As you state it, DJM is a bench player.   But he's a starter.   I don't consider him a bench player if he's a starter.   I say he leads the 2nd unit but that doesn't make him a bench player.  

In some ways, last years bench may have been stronger, it remains to be seen..

But having Lou, Delon, Bogi, OO and Gallo off the bench was actually strong.   I think things were thrown off a bench when Lou couldn't go... then we replaced him with TLC.  Still fairly strong.. But then Delon played himself into more time with the starters and Kev, Gallo, and Bogi should never be on the same floor at the same time.   Too much outside shooting.  Nobody willing to go inside. 

I don't know what to expect from Holidaze... 

but I do know that we're average to strong now.  Loss Delon, Loss Gallo, Bogi's still gimpy... but I smile thinking about JJ and OO and the possibilities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'll post this here too:

The biggest concern that I saw last night with the bench was lack of chemistry.  Lots of miscommunications which should get better the more they play.  Bogi (when he is available) and OO are the only 2 returning players from last season, so that second unit will have 3 new players regardless if it's DJM or AHoli at PG.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'll post this here too:

The biggest concern that I saw last night with the bench was lack of chemistry.  Lots of miscommunications which should get better the more they play.  Bogi (when he is available) and OO are the only 2 returning players from last season, so that second unit will have 3 new players regardless if it's DJM or AHoli at PG.

Well, you can definitely practice up Chemistry.   I watched Lou do it and I watch Solo do it.  It means that you have to have "vets" willing to take time with Young guys... even if the vets are new.   I expect the Holidaze to have some vet experience with this.   Especially whichever one played with Nate before.   He might not be the better of the two but he may be like having Solo out there. 

There's a lot of pressure on DJM.  I like what Nate said about him.  First one there, anything you need coach.   That's good, especially for somebody as cocky as he.  When you have that kind of guy, he's team loyal.   He's the new enforcer.  But he will learn, what he does on the court matters the most.   Nate will mold him into a professional... with that DOG.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I still don't understand this idea that our bench is great because of Murray?   Folks act like our starters are all going to play 30+ minutes for 82 games.   Every single guy on the bench has issues with either injury or inexperience or both.  So not sure how folks are so confident. 

To me you need proven vets on the bench and we've got basically 2 in Bogi and Justin.  Bogi is hurt currently.  

I'll ask another way.  Before the offseason we all knew we needed to bolster the bench with some vets.  Who here had Justin Holiday, Aaron Holiday, and Frank Kaminsky on their list?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I still don't understand this idea that our bench is great because of Murray?   Folks act like our starters are all going to play 30+ minutes for 82 games.   Every single guy on the bench has issues with either injury or inexperience or both.  So not sure how folks are so confident. 

To me you need proven vets on the bench and we've got basically 2 in Bogi and Justin.  Bogi is hurt currently.  

I'll ask another way.  Before the offseason we all knew we needed to bolster the bench with some vets.  Who here had Justin Holiday, Aaron Holiday, and Frank Kaminsky on their list?

Is OO starting now? :er:

You are forgetting the 6th man of the year candidate.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Is OO starting now? :er:

You are forgetting the 6th man of the year candidate.

I'm usually the homer here.  I love the guy.  He maybe my third favorite on this team but let's be real.  He hasn't played 100 games in this league.   I hope this is a big breakout year but can we count on it?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I hope this is a big breakout year but can we count on it?  

YES! He’s a starter in a bench role uni! I guarantee he will over exceed expectations. If he lays a dud I’ll voluntarily change my avatar to a curry family photo! 

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Ohhh.. let me chime in...

I think bench rating is hard to do.  I don't think you need proven vets... look at current champs GS... Young hungry guys off the bench.  Look at previous champs Milwaukee... They had Portis and Lopez but the others you wouldn't know.. and for a while crazy eyes wasn't consider "proven". 

That's why I rate us as average because it's hard to say.   Who knew our bench would be so good last year?  And they were really good even though we were always hurt. 

I think what's really needed is system and vets whether starters (Draymond/CP3) or bench players (Lou/Solo) who have enough leadership in them to teach.  I can't say for sure if we have a system in place.  But one thing we do have is a lot of team loyal guys.  I hope this is Clint season to step up as a leader.  Even if he's underselling, this guy has played with the best and he knows defense better than a lot of other guys this side of Draymond. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Spud2nique said:

YES! He’s a starter in a bench role uni! I guarantee he will over exceed expectations. If he lays a dud I’ll voluntarily change my avatar to a curry family photo! 

Even if this happens where are we going for scoring off the bench?  It's all on Bogi.  If he's healthy i'm very happy but right now our bench scoring is on this guy:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I got the one for you...

Photos from Stephen and Ayesha Curry's Winning Family - E! Online

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Even if this happens where are we going for scoring off the bench?  It's all on Bogi.  If he's healthy i'm very happy but right now our bench scoring is on this guy:

What nobody is talking about is the mesh between Bogi and DJM.  Don't get me wrong, I love Bogi but Bogi wants to be a scorer too.  The 2nd Unit will have some chemistry dynamics that it will have to seriously work out.   Will we remain a PNR team when the second unit hit the floor or will it be a drive and dish kind of deal.   I'm excited either way, I just hope that guys will put the team first.   Also, when DJM goes out and Holiday comes in... what will that look like.   And will AJ be a secret weapon?

I see where Schlenk is going with this... when we loss Gallo he went out and found some guys who can replace his shooting (eventually).  It's just that all these shooters have some kind of injury or another.  IF they all get healthy and they can build some chemistry, we will be rugged. 

• Like 2

Bench:  Can't have all rookies.  Can't have all "over the hill vets".  A mixture of youthful enthusiasm and veteran "know how" seems to me the best and this is what this Hawk team has.

Basketball is a rough sport and injuries are going to happen.  They always have.  Replacement (bench) players must be ready at an instance notice to fill the void when a starter goes down.  A young player, backed up by a vet or a vet, backed up by a youth seems ideal.

On a regular situation, bench players must be able to come in and hold the fort while the starters rest.  Hawks have this pretty well covered, I believe.  Maybe not the best bench ever but no sloutch either!

🧑‍🔧

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It's just that all these shooters have some kind of injury or another.  IF they all get healthy and they can build some chemistry, we will be rugged. 

And that's what i'm saying.  Not that our bench is actually horrible but that that as a group it's a giant IF. 

• Premium Member

This was the core of the bench last season:

Delon: 18 mpg/ 4.4 ppg, awesome defense

Bogi: 29 mpg/15ppg/3 apg

Gallo: 25 mpg/11 ppg

OO: 20 mpg/8.2 ppg

For this season my best minutes guess:

PG: AHoli (14 mpg) and DJM

JHoli: 22 mpg

Bogi: 27 mpg (I think even when he returns his minutes will need to be managed)

JJ: 20 minutes - this is by far the biggest unknown in terms of matching Gallo's output.  I also think we see Hunter play some 4 (he played 35% at PF last season)

OO: 25 mpg

I think it would behoove Nate to mix-n-match his lineups.

• Like 3