Where will our bench mob rank?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Where does our bench rank heading into 22-23

• Top 5 Outstanding
    • Top 10 Pretty good
    • Top 15 Average
    • Top 20 lagging
    • Top 25 Bad bench
    • Top 30 Horrid bench who put this group together???

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/19/2022 at 03:14 AM

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Bogi and Okongwu are good bench guys. 

I think Aaron Holiday is an underrated signing and I think Justin Holiday is going to be productive as well. Jalen Johnson is a question mark.

I think a 2nd unit of A. holiday/Bogi/J. Holiday/ JJ and Okongwu can be effective in offense but is weak on defense and has a size and strength problem. Bogi and Holiday are more of a SG, JJ is not strong enough to guard some PFs, having Okongwu as a C Mamés you need a big PF, having Bogi you need a big SF, the players are not bad but I don’t like the fit.

It's dependent on if Nate is insistent on playing his all bench lineups for long stretches, as long as he staggers/mix-n-match we should be ok.

• Like 1

Much of how good this Hawk team becomes is on our bench and we don't, as yet, know just who or what we really have.  Two more pre-season games to sort some of this out.

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule

Our bench is talented.

A Holiday is the biggest surprise for me. He is a solid ball handling option with shooting and passing ability. He also isn’t afraid to attack downhill.

This adds a dimension to our bench that I wasn’t expecting. Add in Bogi and you have solid playmaking with or without staggering Trae and Murray.

J Holiday is smart and plays the right way. OO is primed to take a leap, and then you have the wildcard of JJ who will thrive the most if we stagger Trae/Murray because he becomes a lethal pick and roll option next to them. I think he would suffer the most from us playing all bench lineups.

Reserve wise, Griffin may challenge for J Holiday’s spot, or even fill in while Bogi is out. Martin and Vit are ready to contribute as needed too.

We have a good bench. Kaminsky as your 3rd string big may be the biggest worry we have.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 9/30/2022 at 10:35 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

For this season my best minutes guess:

PG: AHoli (14 mpg) and DJM

JHoli: 22 mpg

Bogi: 27 mpg (I think even when he returns his minutes will need to be managed)

JJ: 20 minutes - this is by far the biggest unknown in terms of matching Gallo's output.  I also think we see Hunter play some 4 (he played 35% at PF last season)

OO: 25 mpg

I think it would behoove Nate to mix-n-match his lineups.

It has only been two games, but I lime what JJ has shown as the Gallo replacement.

More defense = Jalen Johnson and rebounding.  That, more than anything else that he did, sticks in my mind.  He did his part there.

Aaron Holiday showed well.  Frank-the-tank looked better.  He may not be as useless as some here had thought.  AJ Griffin looked really good, then looked like a green rookie.  He will grow!

Justin Holiday may yet prove useful.  DejounTrae needs to work some more with the second unit to get their timing down pat.  

Hawks have fixible problems.  I hope Clint and JJ improve their free throw shooting!

😉

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Hawks now have one of the best benches in the league!

We don't see much difference when the bench comes in.  This is a sign of a great bench!

🥰

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

With 2 games left.........

AJ :  19 years

Season Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2022-23 19 ATL NBA SF 70 11 19.3 3.4 7.3 .464 1.4 3.5 .387 2.0 3.8 .536 .558 0.6 0.6 .909 0.5 1.6 2.1 1.0 0.6 0.2 0.6 1.2 8.7

JJ:  21 years

Season Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2022-23 21 ATL NBA SF 67 6 14.6 2.1 4.4 .485 0.4 1.4 .292 1.7 2.9 .579 .532 0.7 1.0 .657 0.8 3.2 4.0 1.1 0.5 0.4 0.6 1.6 5.

OO: - 22 years

2022-23 22 ATL NBA C 77 17 23.1 4.0 6.2 .646 0.0 0.1 .333 3.9 6.0 .652 .649 1.9 2.5 .781 2.7 4.5 7.2 1.0 0.7 1.4 1.0 3.2 9.9

Saddiq: 23 years

2022-23 23 ATL NBA SF 22 5 25.5 4.3 9.2 .465 2.0 5.0 .400 2.3 4.2 .543 .574 1.1 1.3 .862 1.5 3.4 5.0 1.3 0.7 0.0 0.7 1.5 11.7

And of course, the vet - Bogi 30 years.

2022-23 30 ATL NBA SG 53 9 28.1 5.1 11.4 .446 2.7 6.7 .404 2.4 4.7 .506 .565 1.2 1.4 .829 0.4 2.6 3.1 2.8 0.8 0.3 1.2 1.6 14.1
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2023 at 12:27 PM, Gray Mule said:

We don't see much difference when the bench comes in.  This is a sign of a great bench!

🥰

Attributable to two things, imo, nay three...

1. The maturity we talked about from the very beginning of the season as so necessary for the bench to be adequate... merely adequate... has begun to emerge. Yeka has been making the case to divvy up minutes 50/50 with CC for most games in the last month... AJ, impressive at the start, has caught his second wind... and Jalen's been slowly but surely emerging as Gray and indeed a whole lot of us envisioned.

2. We still enjoy an advantage that almost no other team enjoys... there's almost no minutes when we don't have an All-Star quality starting PG on the court, able to control pace, able to manage the game (... able, though, sure, not always successful, but who is).

3. We've mostly if not completely replaced KVon now... anyone disagree?... Bey is that ingredient that had been missing all season.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

In many ways, offensively, Bey is better than  Hunter.   It's his physicality.   When Bey has the ball on the baseline, I can count it as a score.    IF Bey is around the ball, he fights for it.  He follows his damn shot.   He does all the things offensively I wish that Hunter would do.   We have to tune up Bey's defense.   He can be a real problem if he ever has both working. 

OO is what I hoped he would become...  CC's replacement. 

I hear all the talk about bringing in a guy like Ayton or Gobert... Why?

I believe we have the best 1-2 punch at C in the league.   I said long ago, that as OO gets better, he will start playing a majority of the minutes, and CC will be the BU.   For those talking about moving CC for wet sheets, tell me who can you replace him with?  I saw yall list several players we can go after.. but none of those guys are better than CC. So why?

We may end up moving JC.   He will also be hard to replace.   I know JJ fills in nicely.. but JC gives us a dimension... i.e. Size.   I'm not blinded so much by JJ's energy that I miss the fact that we still need size. I would like to see JC stronger.  He can mouse in the house a lot of these others that he plays against because his post game is very good.   If we traded him, Markkenan is the type of player we would want back.   Really big and can shoot.  Porzingas could work too.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Diesel said:

In many ways, offensively, Bey is better than  Hunter.   It's his physicality.   When Bey has the ball on the baseline, I can count it as a score.    IF Bey is around the ball, he fights for it.  He follows his damn shot.   He does all the things offensively I wish that Hunter would do.   We have to tune up Bey's defense.   He can be a real problem if he ever has both working. 

OO is what I hoped he would become...  CC's replacement. 

I hear all the talk about bringing in a guy like Ayton or Gobert... Why?

I believe we have the best 1-2 punch at C in the league.   I said long ago, that as OO gets better, he will start playing a majority of the minutes, and CC will be the BU.   For those talking about moving CC for wet sheets, tell me who can you replace him with?  I saw yall list several players we can go after.. but none of those guys are better than CC. So why?

We may end up moving JC.   He will also be hard to replace.   I know JJ fills in nicely.. but JC gives us a dimension... i.e. Size.   I'm not blinded so much by JJ's energy that I miss the fact that we still need size. I would like to see JC stronger.  He can mouse in the house a lot of these others that he plays against because his post game is very good.   If we traded him, Markkenan is the type of player we would want back.   Really big and can shoot.  Porzingas could work too.

We potentially have to re-up OO, Bey, and Murray.  I'm not sure ownership is going to pay Capela 21 million to come off the bench.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We potentially have to re-up OO, Bey, and Murray.  I'm not sure ownership is going to pay Capela 21 million to come off the bench.   

If Atlanta gets someone else cheaper to come off the bench, chances are, that's what we get - - someone cheaper.  Capela has his faults.  He also has his talents.  It will be difficult, but not impossible, to replace what we have with someone else.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

When you think about Centers.  How much do you pony up for a bench C and what do you expect?

You can get a Frank the Tank or Alex Len... to BU OO...

Or you can get somebody more than Serviceable like Christian Wood but what do you expect that he would ask ?