• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

De'Andre Hunter Signs Extension:4yrs/$95 million

JayBirdHawk

33 minutes ago, AHF said:

We can talk about how much to expect from him vs an injured Bogi or injured JC or an uninjured but more closely marked Huerter (who he is better than anyway which is why he was the #4 pick and not the #19 pick) but there is no doubt Hunter was our leading scorer that series and we lost every game he led us in scoring.  But I don't think we need to be there because none of this has anything to do with what we are talking about which is how good a team would be if he was their leading scorer.  That is the idea behind the claim that he would be a scorer in the mold of Mikal Bridges on the playoff Nets team.  I don't think he could duplicate Bridge's production and fundamentally believe that no team with Hunter as their leading scorer will ever make the playoffs.  If he is a team's leading scorer in the regular season, they are lottery bound.

In all fairness, Bridges shouldn't be in that role either. He's an elite #3 option. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

In all fairness, Bridges shouldn't be in that role either. He's an elite #3 option. 

It will be interesting to see how big of a scorer he is next year.  He scored like a more efficient Ja Morant / Trae Young (ie almost top 10) during his 27 game run with the Nets.  His TS% actually went up during that time to over .600.  He was really outstanding.  I didn’t think he would scale up to >26 PPG.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AHF said:

It will be interesting to see how big of a scorer he is next year.  He scored like a more efficient Ja Morant / Trae Young (ie almost top 10) during his 27 game run with the Nets.  His TS% actually went up during that time to over .600.  He was really outstanding.  I didn’t think he would scale up to >26 PPG.

The thing was, he wasn't nothing like this in the playoffs when it mattered. I don't believe it's sustainable. In fact, I would trade him to Portland for the 3rd overall pick. I believe in Scoot and the Nets already got a bunch of wings. Even if they aren't on Bridges level, Scoot gives them a Ja Morant with size that would make them much better in a year. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

The thing was, he wasn't nothing like this in the playoffs when it mattered. I don't believe it's sustainable. In fact, I would trade him to Portland for the 3rd overall pick. I believe in Scoot and the Nets already got a bunch of wings. Even if they aren't on Bridges level, Scoot gives them a Ja Morant with size that would make them much better in a year. 

I don't think he is a lock to keep it up at all.  I'll just note that there are a lot of players who have struggled in the playoffs relative to their regular season performance like KAT and then bounced back to strong regular season performance.  But the fact that he did this over 1/3 of a season was longer than I would have expected so I'm in wait and see mode.  I'm skeptical he has truly made the Kawhi Leonard jump but he exceeded my expectations last year.  I do think he looks like a strong 2nd or 3rd option like a better Khris Middleton.

• Like 1

It wouldn’t surprise me if some players believe their job is done after 82 games and the rest is seen as overtime. I don’t want any players on my team that play just for the paycheck or can’t perform when it matters most. Give me passionate players that meet their childhood heroes on the court and have wet dreams of basketball. That’s where you find hearts of champions. 

Edited by djjob23

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, AHF said:

Let's also save your reaction to it.  Do you think Hunter will ever be the regular season leading scorer on a team that makes the playoffs?  Do you think that a team will ever win a playoff series where Hunter is the top scorer?  Will Hunter ever score >20 ppg on > .600% TS% across a regular season as Bridges did in Brooklyn?  (Bridges is a career .607% TS% scorer so it was not unusual efficiency but rather unusual volume).  Let's get you on the record so you can truly claim victory when he does any or all of these things.

My answer is I don't know yet.  No one thought Randle would lead a team to the playoffs either.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

My answer is I don't know yet.  No one though Randle would lead a team to the playoffs either.

Then if I turn out to be wrong, we can both agree that there wasn't sufficient information to lead a reasonable person to think that Hunter was ever likely to accomplish any of these things.  (In contrast to something like Wemba becoming a star where a reasonable person would say that looks very likely today even though no one knows the future and can't guarantee that with any true certainty).  I acknowledge I can't definitively rule out Hunter becoming better than peak LeBron next season but I can tell you that I believe it will never happen because I haven't seen anything that would lead me to think that this was likely.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, AHF said:

Then if I turn out to be wrong, we can both agree that there wasn't sufficient information to lead a reasonable person to think that Hunter was ever likely to accomplish any of these things.  (In contrast to something like Wemba becoming a star where a reasonable person would say that looks very likely today even though no one knows the future and can't guarantee that with any true certainty).  I acknowledge I can't definitively rule out Hunter becoming better than peak LeBron next season but I can tell you that I believe it will never happen because I haven't seen anything that would lead me to think that this was likely.

Butler didn't look like he does now while in Chicago either so why not try to be more positive for a change instead of trying to impress your fellow negative Nancy on this message board.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Butler didn't look like he does now while in Chicago either so why not try to be more positive for a change instead of trying to impress your fellow negative Nancy on this message board.

Didn't he though?  In his 4th season at age 25, Jimmy went to his first of 4 straight all star games and was the leading scorer on the team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Butler had the mindset to keep getting better from before he came in the league (I don't see that in Hunter, personally). And he actually did develop his offense quite nicely within just a few seasons while in Chicago.... if you may recall, the Wolves had to trade Lavine, Dunn, and Lauri to get him from Chicago. That's not the return of a scrub. That's 3 recent top 10 picks from when it happened. 

Edited by warcore

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Age 22:  1.1 Win Share vs 0.1 Win Share  

Age 23:  7.0 WS vs 1.7 WS

Age 24:  7.1 WS vs 1.1 WS

Age 25:  11.2 WS vs 2.5 WS

Total:  

25.2 WS for Butler vs. 5.4 WS for Hunter

Note:  Butler had the 6th highest Win Share total in the entire NBA in his age 25 season.  Hunter had the 193rd highest Win Share total in his career best age 25 season:

image.png

I am not trying to impress anyone.  Just giving you a straight and honest opinion on what I expect from Hunter going forward.  Sounds like you don't actively disagree but have more of a "anything's possible" type of mentality.  With you being perhaps Hunter's biggest fan on the board, I think that is great.  

53 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Didn't he though?  In his 4th season at age 25, Jimmy went to his first of 4 straight all star games and was the leading scorer on the team. 

Yeah, he was already one of the league's best players at the same age and years of experience of Hunter last season.

Bulter was All-NBA defense both his age 24 and age 25 seasons.

He was an All-Star his age 25 season.  He was among the league leaders (i.e., top 20 or better) in steals, WS, BPM, VORP, ORTG, DRTG and many other metrics in one or more of those first four seasons.

Just not really seeing the comp here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, AHF said:

Age 22:  1.1 Win Share vs 0.1 Win Share  

Age 23:  7.0 WS vs 1.7 WS

Age 24:  7.1 WS vs 1.1 WS

Age 25:  11.2 WS vs 2.5 WS

Total:  

25.2 WS for Butler vs. 5.4 WS for Hunter

Note:  Butler had the 6th highest Win Share total in the entire NBA in his age 25 season.  Hunter had the 193rd highest Win Share total in his career best age 25 season:

image.png

I am not trying to impress anyone.  Just giving you a straight and honest opinion on what I expect from Hunter going forward.  Sounds like you don't actively disagree but have more of a "anything's possible" type of mentality.  With you being perhaps Hunter's biggest fan on the board, I think that is great.  

Yeah, he was already one of the league's best players at the same age and years of experience of Hunter last season.

Bulter was All-NBA defense both his age 24 and age 25 seasons.

He was an All-Star his age 25 season.  He was among the league leaders (i.e., top 20 or better) in steals, WS, BPM, VORP, ORTG, DRTG and many other metrics in one or more of those first four seasons.

Just not really seeing the comp here.

Jimmy Butler was not the superstar that he is today...Y'all need to quit

• Confused 1

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Jimmy Butler was not the superstar that he is today...Y'all need to quit

He was an All-Star and All-NBA defender his first 4 years. 

While he was in Chicago, he was a 3x All-Star and an All-NBA selection.

Since leaving Chicago, he has been a 3x All-Star and 4x All-NBA selection.

Agree that he hadn't reached the peak of his career in Chicago but he was already a star in Chicago and his Chicago career is wayyyyyyy different from both Hunter in Atlanta and Bridges in Phoenix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget that in Jimmy's 1st and 2nd year he was a 30th pick who was a 4th/5th option on offense that was competing for shots in an offense that featured multiple all stars while playing for a coach who was known for not playing young players.

The deck was literally stacked against him in Chicago for him to succeed. Once he got opportunities he immediately proved he was an all NBA defender and an elite secondary option on offense.

This polar opposite to Hunter who had all the opportunities in the world to blossom into an all star. The hawks invested very heavily to move up in the draft to pick him and immediately gave him a starting role with heavy mins with no competition for his role.

Thinking Hunter can have a Butler type of development isn't realistic at all.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, yungsta said:

Thinking Hunter can have a Butler type of development isn't realistic at all.

No one is predicting that Hunter will have a Butler type development just he will develop period because players do get better.

giphy.gif