De'Andre Hunter Signs Extension:4yrs/$95 million

JayBirdHawk

2 hours ago, terrell said:

We paid Hunter $90 million

supposedly, and I use terms loosely , because he's an Elite defender

So then we go up against a team who's 3 best players on offense are Ball,Hayward,Rozier

AND we chose to start Hunter on none of those players...... smh

I feel like this was more a product of us starting him at PF that game and not wanting to put 6'6 Bogi on their 6'10 PF McDaniels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I feel like this was more a product of us starting him at PF that game and not wanting to put 6'6 Bogi on their 6'10 PF McDaniels.

Exactly.  This was not a complicated issue.  CC was out which pushed OO to the center spot.  JC was out.  That left you starting Hunter or JJ at PF which is a pretty obvious choice to start Hunter and bring JJ off the bench.  

Hunter's versatility is a positive for him not a negative and it is the only reason he wasn't checking one of those players.

(Why he ended up with 2 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 block+steal to go with his 11 points is another discussion.  I will note that I am happy to see him back at the line as that really mitigated what was otherwise a very subpar offensive day for him.  Made it 11 points on 8 shots instead of 6.)

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Well how did Bogi end up with way more rebounds? 

I was told Dre didnt rebound well because he was always chasing guards around the perimeter.. smh

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, terrell said:

Well how did Bogi end up with way more rebounds? 

I was told Dre didnt rebound well because he was always chasing guards around the perimeter.. smh

It is because Hunter is a garbage rebounder.  Just that simple.  This was an exceptional game for Bogi rebounding but Trae is the only starter (including CC, JC, Bogi, DM and Trae here) that Hunter outperforms on the boards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is because Hunter is a garbage rebounder.  Just that simple.  This was an exceptional game for Bogi rebounding but Trae is the only starter (including CC, JC, Bogi, DM and Trae here) that Hunter outperforms on the boards.

And passer..  Trying to figure out why Schlenk/Fields thought he was worth 9O mill $. Great defense? Meh... He's good but not great imo...Passing? Nope.. Rebounding? Nope.. Ball handling? Nope..Energy? Nope... Help me out here..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, terrell said:

And passer..  Trying to figure out why Schlenk/Fields thought he was worth 9O mill $. Great defense? Meh... He's good but not great imo...Passing? Nope.. Rebounding? Nope.. Ball handling? Nope..Energy? Nope... Help me out here..

He is a good defender and has excellent size.  He is also a useful scorer who was coming off of a 38% 3pt% season (36% this year is still useful).  That is a desirable, useful player as your baseline.  I think TS/LF absolutely factored in addition growth into the $90M figure since his prior seasons weren't worth nearly that much so my best guess is that the offer was based primarily on (a) scarcity at the position with demonstrated solid tools and (b) projected improvement (which might otherwise raise the price to resign him after this season - i.e., why they signed him then instead of letting it play out).

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, terrell said:

I agree with all your points on Hunter, but $90M is not a lot these days.  That doesn't exactly put him in elite company.  It's just about what he's worth... he'll be the 65th highest paid player in the NBA next year.  He's coming in just under what Spencer Dinwiddie, Lonzo Ball, and Eric Gordon will be paid.  Just after him is Bojan Bogdonovich, Keldon Johnson, and Joe Harris.  Hunter has plenty of issues and areas to work on his game, but it's not like that deal is outrageous.  All the guys in this range have big flaws.  We had to get him signed to keep the bird rights at a minimum so we can use him as a trade piece in the future.  It's not like we had some elite SFs that wanted to sign with us on team friendly deals.  There really wasn't much of a choice on the extension.  I think it's fair to critique him as a pick in the first place though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I agree with all your points on Hunter, but $90M is not a lot these days.  That doesn't exactly put him in elite company.  It's just about what he's worth... he'll be the 65th highest paid player in the NBA next year.  He's coming in just under what Spencer Dinwiddie, Lonzo Ball, and Eric Gordon will be paid.  Just after him is Bojan Bogdonovich, Keldon Johnson, and Joe Harris.  Hunter has plenty of issues and areas to work on his game, but it's not like that deal is outrageous.  All the guys in this range have big flaws.  We had to get him signed to keep the bird rights at a minimum so we can use him as a trade piece in the future.  It's not like we had some elite SFs that wanted to sign with us on team friendly deals.  There really wasn't much of a choice on the extension.  I think it's fair to critique him as a pick in the first place though.

We had Huerter at 72 mill.. He was fine at SF during our playoff run..It was playing the 2 next to Trae where he looked awful on D..He and Bogi can guard slower SF's just fine.. Its fast guards that gives them problems..And they can also pass, rebound, dribble ,and shoot better..Just sayin..  

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

The way we handled Heurter pisses me off from like 3 different perspectives.  1. he was a great fit on the team and we downgraded the roster.  2. It was a purely tax saving move.  3. Heurter took a nice team friendly extension then we immediately shipped him off.  He was completely caught off guard too, clearly shook by it.  Glad he has settled into his new team though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, terrell said:

Bogi can guard slower SF's just fine

I don't think i agree with this and I'm a big Bogi fan. 

6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Heurter took a nice team friendly extension then we immediately shipped him off.

Yeah.  This irked me too.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think i agree with this and I'm a big Bogi fan. 

Yeah.  This irked me too.  

Well of course Dre is better at that than Bogi..lol.. Just sayin Bogi and Kev can guard SF's better than guards..The defense was good in 2021 playoffs... And they fit the offense better imo... I just think they shouldve waited before extending him. Thats all.. Not to mention his health concerns.. I'll be happy to be wrong.. I hope he blows up.............But when you cant dribble pass or rebound well at starting SF position I mean.........................................You better be a lockdown defender..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

He was completely caught off guard too, clearly shook by it. Glad he has settled into his new team though.

He wasn't surprised at all:
Atlanta told me at the end of last year, 'It's not like we're looking to move you, but for anybody on our team, we'll listen. If a team offers us the right thing, obviously, everyone's available,' " Huerter said. "They went out and got Murray. I knew they were looking to upgrade their roster and they went out and got him. In some ways, you could kind of feel something was going to be happening. We had a lot of guards and a lot of mouths to feed and there's one ball that gets to go around.

The only thing he was 'shook' by was being sent to the West Coast:

"Honestly, at first, it was tough to swallow with how far it is away,"

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He wasn't surprised at all:
Atlanta told me at the end of last year, 'It's not like we're looking to move you, but for anybody on our team, we'll listen. If a team offers us the right thing, obviously, everyone's available,' " Huerter said. "They went out and got Murray. I knew they were looking to upgrade their roster and they went out and got him. In some ways, you could kind of feel something was going to be happening. We had a lot of guards and a lot of mouths to feed and there's one ball that gets to go around.

The only thing he was 'shook' by was being sent to the West Coast:

"Honestly, at first, it was tough to swallow with how far it is away,"

I don't think the paragraph you've pasted here really indicates he "wasn't surprised at all".  He did not know it was coming, only that "everyone is available for the right price" which is a bit of a nothing statement.  Kev, like JC, is a class act, and he's not going to ever let on if he was upset by it or had hard feelings.  When he found out he got traded, he didn't tweet "Saw that coming!" he said "My official welcome to the NBA moment".  Maybe shook is too extreme of a word but to act like he wasn't surprised at all is just disingenuous. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

The way we handled Heurter pisses me off from like 3 different perspectives.  1. he was a great fit on the team and we downgraded the roster.  2. It was a purely tax saving move.  3. Heurter took a nice team friendly extension then we immediately shipped him off.  He was completely caught off guard too, clearly shook by it.  Glad he has settled into his new team though.

I had to legit go lookup the spelling of Huerter's name to see if I remembered it wrong.  I'm with you on this, though.  It is tough to watch a team that has ambitions of being a contender shipping off good, young players on reasonable contracts for the purpose of getting under the tax line.  It is a move you just wouldn't see made by most serious franchises and absolutely would see done by clown-car franchises.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't think the paragraph you've pasted here really indicates he "wasn't surprised at all".  He did not know it was coming, only that "everyone is available for the right price" which is a bit of a nothing statement.  Kev, like JC, is a class act, and he's not going to ever let on if he was upset by it or had hard feelings.  When he found out he got traded, he didn't tweet "Saw that coming!" he said "My official welcome to the NBA moment".  Maybe shook is too extreme of a word but to act like he wasn't surprised at all is just disingenuous. 

Full article:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Kevin-Huerter-returns-to-Capital-Region-after-17297315.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium

I think the real part of his statement people are missing is when Kev said, we have a lot of guards, a lot of mouths to feed and only one ball.

AJG would be buried down in College Park if Kev was still around, getting the JJ redshirt season treatment.

We had talked about moving a core piece for two seasons, and made a calculated risk assessment between Kev and Bogi.

Kev being the younger, more durable player. Bogi having both the higher floor and ceiling when he is healthy.

Bogi has had longer stretches of better play than Kev. Kev was really good some nights and completely silent others. They decided to roll the dice on Bogi and wait for him to rehab.

It’s true, we didn’t have to make any trade at all. But let’s not act like this place wasn’t determined to shop every single player not named Trae over the summer.

Our 21-22 season was such a disappointment that we were all begging for a shake up, and the FO followed suit.

Kev is getting a great opportunity in Sac-town. He would have been the 4th wing if he was still in Atlanta. 

Do we miss his shooting? Yes. We definitely could have used him in a Hawks jersey. But we still have yet to see what the 22-23 Hawks look like with the main rotation healthy. I think we have to see that before any regret is warranted.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Knowing what we know and after seeing Hunter's production this season:  If we had not extended him early last offseason, How much would he be getting as a RFA this offseason? Which team(s) would most likely give him an offer sheet?

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Knowing what we know and after seeing Hunter's production this season:  If we had not extended him early last offseason, How much would he be getting as a RFA this offseason? Which team(s) would most likely give him an offer sheet?

70 Million.