• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

De'Andre Hunter Signs Extension:4yrs/$95 million

JayBirdHawk

9 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

He showed improvement in every area I wanted to see in that first game. Let’s hope he can keep it up. 

Our guards did a great job finding him coming off those curls. I think having the added vision of Murray will help us get the ball to him (and JC) more often. He still has to execute and stay aggressive, but he should see an increase in quality looks and opportunities.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Our guards did a great job finding him coming off those curls. I think having the added vision of Murray will help us get the ball to him (and JC) more often. He still has to execute and stay aggressive, but he should see an increase in quality looks and opportunities.

It was interesting they still have him guarding the teams best player even though he was a guard in KPJ. If Murray had taken that assignment, Dre would have had a better defensive outing. When Dre starts to get the benefit if the doubt from the referees his defensive presence will be a lot better. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nope.  It's not my money.  (Who?  Me worry?)

There is a lot of the season still ahead of us.  All players, regardless of their place on the payroll ladder, still has time to move up or down.  And they will.  Second thoughts come later in the season.

:smug:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

9 games in...who's having 2nd thoughts about the extension?

Small sample size.  Hunter has been thoroughly mediocre but plenty of season left to make the leap.  No regrets this early in the year but he has work to do.

• Like 4

• Moderators
13 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Me. But then again small forwards are expensive right? Right? That’s what I’ve been told before

They pretty much are.  Here are the cap figures for next season when Hunter's extension kicks in:

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

They pretty much are.  Here are the cap figures for next season when Hunter's extension kicks in:

image.png

image.png

Hmmmm.... meh.  Is probably the right response.  When his advanced stats shows he is above average I will change my response.  He's the 12th highest paid, and will be around 15-20th highest paid in a couple years.  About what he's worth for now.  

On 11/6/2022 at 12:51 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

9 games in...who's having 2nd thoughts about the extension?

Me, but I've already accepted that he is Marvin Williams 2.0.  So my expectations for him are reduced.

If he can continue to shoot 40%+ on threes, I would like to see his volume go up, so that he can become even more valuable.

As far as him becoming a better rebounder or impact defender, he is what he is at this point.  He's not going to be tough in the paint to get rebounds, nor is he going to create havoc on defense. Dejounte Murray is what it looks like when you make game altering plays on defense.   So we simply have to ask for Hunter to guard his man well, and hopefully keep the opponents shooting % down.

Has he done that this year?  Let's see:

The key numbers to see here are DFG% ( Defended FG% ) and Diff% ( DFG% - FG% ).  For the good defenders, you want that Differential % to be in the minus column.

For example, the so-called WOAT defender, Trae Young, has a 8.8% Differential %, because when he defends his guy, they make 51.4% of their shots, compared to 42.6% of their shots when Trae doesn't guard him.

image.thumb.png.85ca9d958c1b65b3d972f9c29b211fe2.png

Eh . . . about average.  For comparison, this is Dejounte

image.thumb.png.70da8f7a29372d92d6d9113a09336793.png

And with Dejounte's defense adding the elements of steals and rebounding, he's far and away a better defender than De'Andre.

But at least Dre is trying to have somewhat of an impact on the offensive end, so that's good.  Just need his 3 point volume to go up and not be afraid to take shots vs guys who he can shoot over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Some encouraging moments from Hunter last night.  I ended up mainly watching the second quarter.  At the least I'm hoping that his contract isn't a disaster.  It seems like a Joe Johnson type of deal where we made the right move to overpay, and could find someone to trade an asset for him if we are in a different position in a couple years.  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Some encouraging moments from Hunter last night.  I ended up mainly watching the second quarter.  At the least I'm hoping that his contract isn't a disaster.  It seems like a Joe Johnson type of deal where we made the right move to overpay, and could find someone to trade an asset for him if we are in a different position in a couple years.  

I loved seeing him get to the line last night.  Makes a big difference for his scoring impact.  Actually hit the boards some last night as well.  Some real positives in a rough game for the team.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 3:39 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Me, but I've already accepted that he is Marvin Williams 2.0.  So my expectations for him are reduced.

If he can continue to shoot 40%+ on threes, I would like to see his volume go up, so that he can become even more valuable.

As far as him becoming a better rebounder or impact defender, he is what he is at this point.  He's not going to be tough in the paint to get rebounds, nor is he going to create havoc on defense. Dejounte Murray is what it looks like when you make game altering plays on defense.   So we simply have to ask for Hunter to guard his man well, and hopefully keep the opponents shooting % down.

Has he done that this year?  Let's see:

The key numbers to see here are DFG% ( Defended FG% ) and Diff% ( DFG% - FG% ).  For the good defenders, you want that Differential % to be in the minus column.

For example, the so-called WOAT defender, Trae Young, has a 8.8% Differential %, because when he defends his guy, they make 51.4% of their shots, compared to 42.6% of their shots when Trae doesn't guard him.

image.thumb.png.85ca9d958c1b65b3d972f9c29b211fe2.png

Eh . . . about average.  For comparison, this is Dejounte

image.thumb.png.70da8f7a29372d92d6d9113a09336793.png

And with Dejounte's defense adding the elements of steals and rebounding, he's far and away a better defender than De'Andre.

But at least Dre is trying to have somewhat of an impact on the offensive end, so that's good.  Just need his 3 point volume to go up and not be afraid to take shots vs guys who he can shoot over.

We paid Hunter $90 million

supposedly, and I use terms loosely , because he's an Elite defender

So then we go up against a team who's 3 best players on offense are Ball,Hayward,Rozier

AND we chose to start Hunter on none of those players...... smh