De'Andre Hunter Signs Extension:4yrs/$95 million

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'm reserving judgement on this. Feels like an overpay right now. Assuming he takes that next step, it'll be a very good deal. 

It definitely comes with a lot of future expectations.   But i think with the rising cap this won't look bad. 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

This is a steal!!!!

This is also $31M more than you said he was looking for lol.  

But I know he is your boy and definitely rooting for him to break out this year.  Go earn that money, Hunter!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'm reserving judgement on this. Feels like an overpay right now. Assuming he takes that next step, it'll be a very good deal. 

It is all about future growth.  Past performance would be a contract half this size but he looks ready to break out this season so given the upward trajectory and the rising cap, I'm very hopeful that this will a good contract. 

Very happy to think that Hunter's best days will be in a Hawks uniform.  Health, aggression, and skill upgrades all incoming.  🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm confident this will look like like a great contract at the end of the season. He looks like he took a step following a healthy offseason and played with confidence in the preseason. Additionally, I think Murray will help him shine on defense since he won't have to chase guards around for 30 minutes some games now. Hopefully it pays off.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

But I know he is your boy and definitely rooting for him to break out this year.  Go earn that money, Hunter!

Based on career numbers and games played, it's hard to call this a steal. But basically the market is such that every decent young starter gets 20 per or so.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

When did I even comment on what he was looking for?

De'Andre's salary is projected to be about 11% of the salary cap.   To me, that's average starter money.  Instead of looking at the amount, we should evaluate these deals based on % of salary cap.  With the pending significant increase in the salary cap, if he plays average, this is a good deal. 

Edit:  To put that into better prospective.   Here are the percentages this year. 

image.thumb.png.cccbab982610340c6171b0e85e2b24ce.png

We all agree Dejounte's contract is a still and Bogi's okay.  Hunter is in between those two. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

When did I even comment on what he was looking for?

Here.  You said rumors of him wanting more than Bridges got were ridiculous and suggested it was ridiculous to think our beat writers might have underestimated his demands.

On 10/14/2022 at 5:20 PM, Peoriabird said:

Where are these rumors coming from???  This is what one of the beat writers wrote in July

Wes Morton: It seems that both sides are reportedly working towards an agreement, even if the sides are far apart at the moment. There is plenty of time to negotiate, however, and I think a deal can get done by the October deadline. With the exception of John Collins, this Hawks regime has generally found ways to extend their fourth year players before restricted free agency. I could see a Kevin Huerter-like deal for maybe 4 years and $64-70 million total.

Are our beat writers this uninformed???

My response was to offer you a bet he would never settle for a deal anywhere in this range as he was clearly asking way more.  The fact that the Hawks and Hunter settled on $95M says Hunter's number was north of $100M at a minimum.  Nowhere close to the $64-70M you referenced or an $80M deal averaging $20M per season.

• Like 1

keldon johnson got 4/74, def don't think dre is worth 20 over him, outside of KPJ, dre probably had the least amount of production of all the players that got rookie scale extensions this offseason, it is definitely a huge gamble. With that said i do think he has a solid chance of making the contract a worthwhile investment

• Like 1

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here.  You said rumors of him wanting more than Bridges got were ridiculous and suggested it was ridiculous to think our beat writers might have underestimated his demands.

My response was to offer you a bet he would never settle for a deal anywhere in this range as he was clearly asking way more.  The fact that the Hawks and Hunter settled on $95M says Hunter's number was north of $100M at a minimum.  Nowhere close to the $64-70M you referenced or an $80M deal averaging $20M per season.

I think he's quoting Wes Mortan there and saying it's ridiculous right?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

So the take home message is that I was assuming the figure quoted by the beat writer or something similar came from the Hawks front office. I also heard Brad and his dumb clan talking about a low ball figure like that.  My stance has always been screw that low ball figure...if Dre and his agent would accept an offer anywhere near $20 mil more than that offer,  it should be a no brainer for the front office. There is nothing in any of my quotes stating that I thought that Dre would accept a low ball offer such as the one proposed by that beat writer. You do not have a comprehension issue so I must assume that you are purposely trying to confuse my very clear stance Which has be any deal close to $20 mil per year would be a steal for this player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dalamchops said:

keldon johnson got 4/74, def don't think dre is worth 20 over him, outside of KPJ, dre probably had the least amount of production of all the players that got rookie scale extensions this offseason, it is definitely a huge gamble. With that said i do think he has a solid chance of making the contract a worthwhile investment

It definitely seems like this deal is about his potential and very little about his production.  Also, the cap projection is in play.  If this is what an average NBA starter will be making, I guess that's the market.  

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think he's quoting Wes Mortan there and saying it's ridiculous right?

No.  The conversation was that people thought Hunter was asking for a lot and specifically more than Bridges.  

Peo posted this as a rebuttal to people who believed rumors that Hunter had a higher asking price.

Here is the specifics back and forth:

On 10/14/2022 at 3:34 PM, AHF said:

I don't think many people would be upset to see the Hawks give Hunter 4/$90M (and many would be thrilled) but the rumors are he wants significantly more than Bridges.  Bear in mind Bridges has 24.9 career Win Shares and Hunter has 2.9 career Win Shares, roughly 10% of Bridges' production.  Bridges has also never missed a regular season game and so represents an absurdly low health risk.

So I claimed rumors were that he wanted more than Bridges.  That has been proven now.  

Bridges took $90.9M and the Hawks and Hunter were hung up with Hunter wanting $100M (or more).

Peo seemed to think those rumors were ridiculous and made his post to counter mine.

Where are these rumors coming from??? 

How did he intend to prove that Hunter wasn't seeking more than Bridges?  By citing the article and suggesting there was little chance the beat writers could be this wrong.

This is what one of the beat writers wrote in July

Wes Morton: It seems that both sides are reportedly working towards an agreement, even if the sides are far apart at the moment. There is plenty of time to negotiate, however, and I think a deal can get done by the October deadline. With the exception of John Collins, this Hawks regime has generally found ways to extend their fourth year players before restricted free agency. I could see a Kevin Huerter-like deal for maybe 4 years and $64-70 million total.

Are our beat writers this uninformed???

Why would you highlight text suggesting a deal in the $64-70M range when arguing against rumors that Hunter wanted more unless you wanted to suggest that the beat writer was aware that Hunter was willing to take less. 

I guess it could be that he quoted my post but didn't actually intend to respond to me because why would you quote a reporter from 5 months earlier suggesting a much lower landing point to rebut a recent statement claiming that Hunter wanted more?  I can't see any logical through line that makes this post a response to mine other than one suggesting that Hunter didn't really want that much.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

No.  The conversation was that people thought Hunter was asking for a lot and specifically more than Bridges.  

Peo posted this as a rebuttal to people who believed rumors that Hunter had a higher asking price.

Here is the specifics back and forth:

So I claimed rumors were that he wanted more than Bridges.  That has been proven now.  

Bridges took $90.9M and the Hawks and Hunter were hung up with Hunter wanting $100M (or more).

Peo seemed to think those rumors were ridiculous and made his post to counter mine.

How did he intend to prove that Hunter wasn't seeking more than Bridges?  By citing the article and suggesting there was little chance the beat writers could be this wrong.

Why would you highlight text suggesting a deal in the $64-70M range when arguing against rumors that Hunter wanted more unless you wanted to suggest that the beat writer was aware that Hunter was willing to take less. 

I guess it could be that he quoted but didn't actually intend to respond to me because why would you quote a reporter from 5 months earlier suggesting a much lower landing point to rebut a recent statement claiming that Hunter wanted more?  That would be completely devoid of a logical through line.

Everybody else seems to understand what was being said except you. Can you at least try?

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Everybody else seems to understand what was being said except you. Can you at least try?

Why did you quote me and say "where are these rumors (rumors that he wanted more than Bridges) coming from?"

Should be obvious where they were coming from.  Hunter wanted more than Bridges.

• Premium Member

Anyway, Hunter is resigned to what I think is a great contract and that is all that matters!  Anyone who claims that I think that Hunter got over paid is just arguing to be arguing.  I have to be the biggest Hunter fan on the message board but some can't even comprehend that simple fact.

• Like 1