• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nick Ressler and Landry Fields were not "Grant"ed their wish

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, akay said:

This the guy who drafted Anthony Bennet first? Not sad about him turning us down

You can have your Giannis or Gobert or whoever.  I'm sticking with my Bennett.  Dude is averaging 26.8 points per game this season on 53.5% FG% and 38.2% 3pt% to go with 12.6 rebounds and an amazing 3.4 steals per game.  Name me who in the NBA is doing that?  It's just a matter of time before he breaks out.

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Anthony-Bennett/179229

(Seriously, I've never been a fan of the work Grant did as a GM and if he was the source that got Ferry in trouble then that makes me more wary because that was obviously some bad judgment on how he wrote things up.  But the fact that he turned us down is a bit distressing as a message to how someone with his level of NBA cache views us.  At best, I'd interpret it as him being wary of the number of recent changes and not having confidence in our stability.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member

From what I'm told even though they were interesting in bringing him in, Chris has actually pulled his name from consideration. He's going to stay with the Spurs. He's happy in San Antonio.

Ouch... Damn.

He gave us the "it's not you, it's me speech...". 

That means it was definitely us. 

Landry can't even get his old friends to come and hang out with us. 

_____________________________________________Here's how the call went_____________________

Chris goes to call Landry....

Landry:  Hello?

Chris:  Hi Landry, it's Chris.   I wanted to touch bases with you about the adviser position.

Landry:  Great.   I know we haven't made final preparations on salary and involvement but you can write your own ticket. 

Chris:  Yeah, about that.  I'm going to be pulling my name from consideration.

Landry:  Consideration?  Chris, you're our only choice!

Chris:  Ok.  But the media has already started in one the Luol Deng comment and I've built up my life past that and I don't want to go back there any more. 

Landry:  What do you mean back there?

Chris:  There's a whole lot of Africans who told me to never step foot in Fulton County. 

Landry:  It wasn't even you, that was Danny.

Chris:  To them, that didn't matter.   I just can't put myself at risk out there in Lawerenceville.   So, it's probably best that you take my name off the list because I'm going to stay in San Antonio.

Landry:  Chris, you can come here and pop bottles everyday. Nick and I have year round passes at the Cheetah Lounge.  You don't have to live in Lawerenceville. If you come out, I can change your mind....

Chris:  No Landry... we have lounges here in San Antonio.

Landry:  It's not the same.   San Antonio is where girls from here go to retire.   Ask Charles Barkley. Plus, you're not doing anything but going to get Tea for Pop... We would treat you like family here. 

Chris:  I can't do it.  I gotta go.  Thank you again....

Chris hurries off to HTeaO  to get Pop a large Turbo Citrus. 

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:59 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

First Question to Chris: were you the one that wrote the scouting report on Deng that got Ferry fired?

The issue, for me, isn't that the guy "chose" not to come.  It's that we failed, imho, to do our due diligence on the alleged memo until too late.

I have no doubt that's why this fell through.  Jmho. 

Eta.  Also confirms lil' Nicky is a squawker...... jmho. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Seriously disappointed.

Not about Chris Grant specifically not coming to ATL.

But I think you want to have someone in the war room with some degree of front office leadership experience.

Look at this list...

2023-01-28_09-58-07.png

Do you recognize any of those names as someone who brings some inherent wisdom to the table? I had to go look them up to see if it's just that they're names that flew under the radar, but had been significant assets to some front office somewhere sometime.

Nope.

And I'm just led to say for maybe the dozenth time... what the hell, Tony? What is the basis for confidence in this front office? Who among them has even one line on their resume' that would make another team say, "We've gotta hire that guy.".............???

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/28/2023 at 10:58 AM, sturt said:

Seriously disappointed.

Not about Chris Grant specifically not coming to ATL.

But I think you want to have someone in the war room with some degree of front office leadership experience.

Look at this list...

2023-01-28_09-58-07.png

Do you recognize any of those names as someone who brings some inherent wisdom to the table? I had to go look them up to see if it's just that they're names that flew under the radar, but had been significant assets to some front office somewhere sometime.

Nope.

And I'm just led to say for maybe the dozenth time... what the hell, Tony? What is the basis for confidence in this front office? Who among them has even one line on their resume' that would make another team say, "We've gotta hire that guy.".............???

Late to the game but liked this one.  It is definitely a concern.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Seems like this guy... with definite ATL connections... oughta be getting ready to transition into an NBA front office somewhere again. It's time, no?

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/shareef-abdurrahim

2023-01-31_20-46-58.png

Here's a thought. If you dare.

There's one position in the Atlanta Hawks Staff Directory that remains unfilled since Schlenk's departure.

Think the current president of the G-League might be qualified from Ressler's perspective... and might be tempted from his own perspective... to step into that lone vacant slot... ie, Atlanta Hawks President of Basketball Operations... ?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

I mean why would he come here? A bunch of unproven guys who know absolutely nothing about running a successful nba team. This FO couldn't even run an AAU team into a championship 

Hmmm. Well. Actually, that's the argument for coming here... he enters the room as the one guy with any significant professional basketball executive experience, and moreover, with the title in the hierarchy that also affirms he's the head honcho. For his hometown team.

Of course, and again, I'm not predicting anything. The only thing that's clear is that the Grant episode indicates there has been some thought to add another body to the room... but how much authority they are willing to give that other body seems likely to be pivotal.

I'm only suggesting, of course and again, it's a reasonable, if not very reasonable conversation to be had.

The main objection, to me, would be that you're still not adding someone to the room with any NBA GM experience, let alone arguably successful experience.

The main objection, if I'm Landry, is that you're giving me a new boss, and effectively giving someone else the greater authority to map out the direction of the franchise--someone I don't even (it would seem) know or have any reason to respect.

Thinking further... I offered last night what I offered about D'Antoni in another thread, ie, that my Spidey sense as a lifelong (literally) D'Antoni groupie of-sorts is that, at 71, it seems to me an open question whether he wants to do another head coaching gig... and I can easily see him wanting to essentially follow the Pat Riley path, and go back to front office work. I bring it up here because of that last paragraph I wrote. D'Antoni was Fields' first NBA coach.

Mike D'Antoni, President of Basketball Operations may be the more pragmatic idea, actually, now that I think about it.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
16 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

They couldn't get someone else?  Anyone else?  Just a bad look.  The Falcons and Hawks are making me smh.

Are you surprised? They could have gotten someone else but this is why this franchise continues to struggle. 🤦🏽‍♂️