• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Saddiq Bey to Atlanta, Finally!!!

JayBirdHawk

New generation of fan? I’m not 12. The passive “new generation” shtick isn’t necessary. 

Hunter is a big wing with above average defense. That’s the best thing he has going for him. He’s average-ish on offense. That’s not hate. That’s realistic. I can say that and still recognize his importance to our team. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. I literally can be quoted on here believing that he can become a #3 player on a championship team. He’s still young in terms of pro basketball played so he has room for growth. 

bey will play a different role. For the 3rd time. And in his role (which was still too much for my liking) in Detroit, He statistically had a larger positive impact than Dre has in Atlanta. 

What you quoted from me literally says that if he were put in the starting lineup it would hurt him.  Would you rather have Huerter than Hunter start for us? No, obviously not because of fit/what role they should play to maximize team performance. 

huerters efficiency / impact stats > Hunter because they play a different role (and huerter is better at his role). But Hunter is far more important to us which is why he isn’t in jeopardy of losing his job. That’s my point, and I stand by it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sturt said:

A bit harsh.

It is true that if you do social science research for a living, your best starting point with any research question is to embed yourself enough to eyeball whatever it is you're studying, so that when you go to do quantitative research, you'll be sensitive to things that don't quite seem right, and better able to detect where there might be, for instance, some survey question that was worded in a way that led responses in a certain direction.

But you can also do it the other way around.... get familiar with numbers and what research has generally yielded already, and then do some qualitative work, like focus groups, to see if you can flesh out what things might lurk behind those numbers.

It's not one or the other, though. It's both.

And by definition, the more objective of the two is the numbers, as long as you have a good grasp of where the numbers came from and what they actually were calculated from (which can be nuanced from what the labels suggest). The more subjective is one's own interpretation of what s/he's seeing, and on that, you can best increase the validity of conclusions by looking at multiple interpretations... one interpretation is hardly meaningful in the big picture, unless it's coming from a highly authoritative source.

Fwiw.

This seems like something you'd enjoy, Sturt.  
Not being snarky or anything.  Just seems like you could appreciate this.  One of my favorite philosophers.  

1 hour ago, h4wkfan said:

New generation of fan? I’m not 12. The passive “new generation” shtick isn’t necessary. 

Hunter is a big wing with above average defense. That’s the best thing he has going for him. He’s average-ish on offense. That’s not hate. That’s realistic. I can say that and still recognize his importance to our team. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. I literally can be quoted on here believing that he can become a #3 player on a championship team. He’s still young in terms of pro basketball played so he has room for growth. 

bey will play a different role. For the 3rd time. And in his role (which was still too much for my liking) in Detroit, He statistically had a larger positive impact than Dre has in Atlanta. 

What you quoted from me literally says that if he were put in the starting lineup it would hurt him.  Would you rather have Huerter than Hunter start for us? No, obviously not because of fit/what role they should play to maximize team performance. 

huerters efficiency / impact stats > Hunter because they play a different role (and huerter is better at his role). But Hunter is far more important to us which is why he isn’t in jeopardy of losing his job. That’s my point, and I stand by it.

The new generation of fan is big on numbers but when you ask them for opinions, it's clear they didn't do their own research. I see it all of the time on reddit and RealGM 

Hunter is a big wing who guards 4 positions plus big wings and is very effective at it. Saying he's just above average is a bold face lie. Saying it's not hate shows a lack of BBIQ to an extreme degree. I tend to find bad opinions like this common from fans who stat watch. Look at steals and shit like that. When your ass said Bey had more impact and was more efficient, I assumed you are a troll. That's not an opinion of someone who is anything but a hater. It's on par with Trae isn't a great scorer, he just shoots a lot. It's dumbass opinions which I can't stand. 

There is nothing average about a Mildy efficiency three level scorer in a starting role in the NBA. That's solid at the very least. 

Now you are pushing Huerter over Hunter. My goodness [ad hominem deleted]

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The new generation of fan is big on numbers but when you ask them for opinions, it's clear they didn't do their own research. I see it all of the time on reddit and RealGM 

Hunter is a big wing who guards 4 positions plus big wings and is very effective at it. Saying he's just above average is a bold face lie. Saying it's not hate shows a lack of BBIQ to an extreme degree. I tend to find bad opinions like this common from fans who stat watch. Look at steals and shit like that. When your ass said Bey had more impact and was more efficient, I assumed you are a troll. That's not an opinion of someone who is anything but a hater. It's on par with Trae isn't a great scorer, he just shoots a lot. It's dumbass opinions which I can't stand. 

There is nothing average about a Mildy efficiency three level scorer in a starting role in the NBA. That's solid at the very least. 

Now you are pushing Huerter over Hunter. My goodness, you really don't have a f***ing clue

Let’s not get carried away with this take. It’s not like I said something wild like Cam Reddish was Randy Moss, Horford was Karl Malone or Bagley was the 2nd coming 🙃 we can have a discussion without the knee jerk responses.

I was clear on my overall view of Hunter and what he can become. Not sure how that screams hater, but ok. 

With that said, Dre has never sniffed an all defensive team. Because you know, he’s above average,  not elite … he’s not a stopper. He’s probably a top ~12 defensive/overall SF. That’s above average. He’s not what I’d consider great. If you think he is - I do like reading your opinions - what’s your top sf list look like? And just for clarity … when it comes to how I rate players. Above average > solid = average. 

when did I say huerter was > Hunter? I tried to explain there is a nuance to stats and what role you are playing … you know … not just looking at stats in a vacuum like those Reddit dweebs 🙄 we are far better off with Hunter in his role than Huerter trying to fill Hunters shoes, BUT huerter can still be more impactful at his role than Hunter is at his yet Hunter would have a larger impact on the Atlanta Hawks as a team …

• Haha 4

• Moderators

I am going to wait and see what Bey looks like.  Hate the numbers he has put up this year and combining that with the comments I surely hope Nate puts him in a more limited role where he can have a more positive impact.  Haven’t watched him much so not sure what to expect from his defense.

Definitely not even thinking about him unseating Hunter.  If he is good enough to make that a conversation, it will be a pleasant surprise.  

I am expecting him to be much better than Knox who I thought was never going to be successful and ended up just depriving JJ of minutes we could have really used to assess his development and readiness last year.  I guess I’m pegging my baseline at a Bembry level of role and hoping to see him grow into a DMC level player over time with only the faintest hope that his 51 point game hints at an even higher upside.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The new generation of fan is big on numbers but when you ask them for opinions, it's clear they didn't do their own research.

That's not exactly true though - not 2 years ago you were all in on metrics when it came to JC vs Harrell.

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's not exactly true though - not 2 years ago you were all in on metrics when it came to JC vs Harrell.

And I was right as both players proved my point of being on the way out of the league and overpaid. I would rather have had Harrell over JC because of what Harrell would cost which was 10 mil in his prime to JC who got even more than I said he would get by 25 million and I thought 5-100 is an overpay for JC. 

JC is still good and while Harrell is washed, he's only making the min so my wish would have been much better. And even I can admit, I was wrong for saying Harrell is better because his role was limited compared to JC but I was hating. Prime example of hating because I didn't want us to pay him at all. Now I look right as ever.  That was more than two years ago. This was when Harrell was still in LAC. That was four years ago.

Edited by NBASupes

I think GSW mainly wanted to get out from under the luxury tax penalties that a "failed" Wiseman was going to lay on them.

I suspect they go through with it or maybe ask for some additional compensation from someone.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Wiseman portion of this trade saved the Warriors owners over $100 million in luxury tax. Hopefully they'll go through with it even with the bad physical. 

Just now, LongTimeFan said:

I think GSW mainly wanted to get out from under the luxury tax penalties that a "failed" Wiseman was going to lay on them.

I suspect they go through with it or maybe ask for some additional compensation from someone.

It would have to be Portland but I doubt GS would throw this away. It's not like he has a career ending injury. This is just an injury that will last till the end of the season but not the playoffs 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

And I was right as both players proved my point of being on the way out of the league and overpaid. I would rather have had Harrell over JC because of what Harrell would cost which was 10 mil in his prime to JC who got even more than I said he would get by 25 million and I thought 5-100 is an overpay for JC. 

JC is still good and while Harrell is washed, he's only making the min so my wish would have been much better. And even I can admit, I was wrong for saying Harrell is better because his role was limited compared to JC but I was hating. Prime example of hating because I didn't want us to pay him at all. Now I look right as ever. 

NO NO NO ....You Said you would willingly pay Harrell $20 million dollars vs paying JC $25 mil. You sited WAR as your thing.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Yep. If they keep Wiseman its a $131 million tax bill next season. This trade saved them $51 million or something like that.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

NO NO NO ....You Said you would willingly pay Harrell $20 million dollars vs paying JC $25 mil. You sited WAR as your thing.

I don't remember saying that. I wouldn't never say I want to pay any of them more than. 20 million. Find it