• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Prunty Era Begins!...and Ends after going 2-0. CONGRATS!!!

JayBirdHawk

• JayBirdHawk changed the title to The Prunty Era Begins!...and Ends after going 2-0. CONGRATS!!!
  • Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

2-0. He did well.

The man has a 58% winning percentage as a HC. 

He's responsible for our win at Chicago and maybe at Toronto.

He's constantly passed over in HC searching circles because he's not a sexy name.  But I think given a chance, he may be a really good HC. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm real big on repentance and justice.... any of you folks who were so damning of this guy up until this last week wanna step up and confess, or you gonna make us look you up and shame you for not having the integrity to take your crow like a man?

Just askin. 🙂

• Premium Member

What makes Prunty not a sexy name is that he didn't immediately come out of a Coaching Family Tree.

It's almost Mafioso like..

Pops Tree

Bud, Snyder, Ime, Becky, Kerr, Jenkins, Monty, Doc , Mike Brown, Mike Miller,  Terry Porter, Avery Johnson, Brett Brown, Jacque Vaughn, Vinny Del Negro, Jim Boylen, PJ Carlisimo.

Bud Coaching Tree

Atkinson, Jenkins, and Snyder

Kerr Coaching Tree

Luke Walton, Alvin Gentry

Larry Brown Tree.

Mike Woodson, Gentry, and Pop... and several others in College (Bill Self, Ollie, etc. ). 

George Karl Tree.

Nate. Terry Stotts.  Dwayne Casey.  Scott Brooks

Jeff Van Gundy Tree.

Thibs, Steve Cliiford, Mike Malone.

Prunty started under Avery Johnson in Dallas.   Though that's a Pop Tree, he gets no credit for being a Pop guy.   Guys like Prunty and Brad Stevens come into the HC game with no roots.   I mean Prunty has been some of everywhere but he's not in the tree so his name is not called like these others.   Other Pop guys become retreads.

But Prunty hasn't even got a real chance. 

I hope he's considered by the Bulls. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm real big on repentance and justice.... any of you folks who were so damning of this guy up until this last week wanna step up and confess, or you gonna make us look you up and shame you for not having the integrity to take your crow like a man?

Just askin. 🙂

I readily admit that I didn't start liking Prunty until the end of the game play he drew up.  Before that..I prolly did talk mess about him.    But he has my respect and I want to see him get a full time gig (Chicago). 

• Thanks 1

Well, Bud’s tree will get another branch before Joe Prunty is ever considered for a head coaching job.  If he doesn’t get one this year, Charles Lee will have a head coaching job within the next two years.  He’s the next branch of the Bud tree.  

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, KB21 said:

Well, Bud’s tree will get another branch before Joe Prunty is ever considered for a head coaching job.  If he doesn’t get one this year, Charles Lee will have a head coaching job within the next two years.  He’s the next branch of the Bud tree.  

But it's really dumb to believe that because you coached under a guy that you are automatically good.   Look at the Kerr Tree.   Look at Atkinson (a Bud Guy).   The thing that makes Snyder different is that he learned from Coach K...  he coached at Missouri before coming to the pro game, and then he was under Pop for several years.    @KB21 lays his hat on Snyder being so good because he was a Bud guy...  however, Snyder was under Bud for 1 year.   It was actually one of the worst years of Bud's coaching career.   I don't think he gained a whole lot being under Bud that year.  It's evident in how Snyder coached Utah.   Utah was a heavy PNR team.  That's not Bud Ball.  That's actually what makes me think that Snyder can do well with the Hawks.  If we get somebody to come in and try to Bud Ball this team, we will regret losing Prunty. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, swanlee said:

Prunty did good, yesterdays game is a game we lose under Nate, Nate was an expert in going up[ by double digits and then blowing the lead in the second half. I'm glad a reasonable coach worked around that habit of our team.

There were still a lot of questionable coaching decisions that got us to needing Trae heroics at the end. 

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

But it's really dumb to believe that because you coached under a guy that you are automatically good.   Look at the Kerr Tree.   Look at Atkinson (a Bud Guy).   The thing that makes Snyder different is that he learned from Coach K...  he coached at Missouri before coming to the pro game, and then he was under Pop for several years.    @KB21 lays his hat on Snyder being so good because he was a Bud guy...  however, Snyder was under Bud for 1 year.   It was actually one of the worst years of Bud's coaching career.   I don't think he gained a whole lot being under Bud that year.  It's evident in how Snyder coached Utah.   Utah was a heavy PNR team.  That's not Bud Ball.  That's actually what makes me think that Snyder can do well with the Hawks.  If we get somebody to come in and try to Bud Ball this team, we will regret losing Prunty. 

It's also not smart to ignore it, particularly when certain trees are so productive in producing head coaches.  In the NBA, it's the Pops/Bud tree.  In college football, you want someone from the Mike Leach tree.  In the NFL, the Shanahan tree is all the rage.  

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It's also not smart to ignore it, particularly when certain trees are so productive in producing head coaches.  In the NBA, it's the Pops/Bud tree.  In college football, you want someone from the Mike Leach tree.  In the NFL, the Shanahan tree is all the rage.  

Your type of thinking is why Eric Bienemy has to Go out and reprove himself again.  It's the type of thinking that gave Luke Walton a Job as a HC and why Prunty has never been a HC.  It's the type of thinking that led to years of underachievement for the Nets under Atkinson. 

It's good to have learned something from being an assistant under a coach.  However, you should not be the carbon copy of that coach.   I remember Jim Cleamons had sucked up everything that he could under Phil Jackson.   He was going to bring the Triangle to Dallas.   He had Mashburn, Jackson, and Kidd.   This dude won like 20 games. Never Coached again... I think. 

The key...  The coaching tree is meaningless. It's about what the coach knows and how much fire he has. 

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

Your type of thinking is why Eric Bienemy has to Go out and reprove himself again.  It's the type of thinking that gave Luke Walton a Job as a HC and why Prunty has never been a HC.  It's the type of thinking that led to years of underachievement for the Nets under Atkinson. 

It's good to have learned something from being an assistant under a coach.  However, you should not be the carbon copy of that coach.   I remember Jim Cleamons had sucked up everything that he could under Phil Jackson.   He was going to bring the Triangle to Dallas.   He had Mashburn, Jackson, and Kidd.   This dude won like 20 games. Never Coached again... I think. 

The key...  The coaching tree is meaningless. It's about what the coach knows and how much fire he has. 

Some trees are just not fruitful.  Never hire a Belichick assistant in the NFL.  Everyone of them fail.  However, every Bill Walsh assistant that got a head coaching job succeeded.  Sam Wyche, Mike Holmgren, George Seifert, Dennis Green...etc.