• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Early (but not too early) 2023 off-season wishlist

sturt

46 minutes ago, sturt said:

(Seems relevant seasoning to the pot being stirred.)

Fascinating.  You have to go through a subscriber wall to get the details, but reading between the lines they may have motivation to sign elsewhere due to Massachusetts state taxes that negate the benefits of a supermax contract. 

Talk about a way to rile up the voters.  Look for a loophole for professional athletes to avoid a supertax to be included in future legislation.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 5/9/2023 at 1:40 AM, RedDawg#8 said:

Vucevic

3 team trade:

Hawks get Vucevic via SnT

Suns get Capela

Bulls get Ayton

Vuc can backup OO and play alongside in a jumbo lineup. He can be our Gallo, solid vet backup that can start in a pinch.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

3 team trade:

Hawks get Vucevic via SnT

Suns get Capela

Bulls get Ayton

Vuc can backup OO and play alongside in a jumbo lineup. He can be our Gallo, solid vet backup that can start in a pinch.

Jay's one of those who prefers to just speak to why we would  do Trade X, and leave it to others to attempt balance.

So here I am. It's Friday. I have time. 🙂

Why we wouldn't do it...

1. Hard caps us. Severely impacts flexibility to adjust roster at any point in the year. We don't have that problem if we keep Clint.

2. Vuc is going to be 33 in October, so the length of that new contract is pivotal. Clint's in the conventional prime of any player's career right now.

3. We need more rim protection, not less, imo... otoh, if this rumor is true that Quin's focused on better outside shooting from our bigs, that's a calculated sacrifice he's almost certainly going to have to be willing to make.

I'm not absolutely appalled by the idea, but the downsides are considerable, and the degree to which it represents a clear improvement is a legitimate argument. Add to that how complicated just  doing a sign-and-trade is to get done (adds the question of whether the player prefers that himself), and then, how complicated just doing a 3-team trade is to get done (adds the possibility that one of the three trade partners decides they need a little more, or that they have a whole other deal they prefer)... and the likelihood on its own seems scanty.

But I like that you're thinkin.

• Premium Member
On 5/10/2023 at 10:37 AM, Diesel said:

Giannis to the Hawks?............

Is this the badass Big that was being spoken of?

1. Doubt that Koonin made the remark he did having any clarity on a specific player coming to the ATL. And. If he did have such clarity, seems so much more likely he'd keep it hush-hush, trying to avoid spoiling such an acquisition.

2. Honestly, I can't find a badass big that obviously (a) meets that description and (b) is understood to be available.

3. I feel relatively confident that Koonin was speaking from his own perspective, but if not, that he was speaking from his boss' perspective. In neither case does that automatically infer that his or Tony's perspective is reflective of what Quin perceives.

4. That said, I feel relatively confident that the training camp presser will bestow upon one or more of our existing players and/or our FRP the title, "blossoming badass big"... and that most of us will roll our eyes, considering that to be a significantly premature, if not specious, comment.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

If the Harden back to Houston is a thing:

CC ($21)  for Garuba ($2.5) and #20.

Wonder if we can also get Tate ($6.5) or Martin Jr ($1.9). (Will require releasing some combination of Bruno, Vit, Mathues to stay under the tax).

Then if needed combine #15 and #20 to move up in draft. How far can we move up, and/or is it worth it to move up or just pick at #15 and #20?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Wonder if we can also get Tate ($6.5) or Martin Jr ($1.9).

I love these two they play hard, strong bench for us. Gritty rugged dudes, I’ll move from 15 to 20th pick for this deal. 

Tate wouldn’t back down from Harden in a scrimmage in his rookie year, I kinda dug that.

LITTLE MAN TATE!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If the Harden back to Houston is a thing:

Wonder if we can also get Tate ($6.5) or Martin Jr ($1.9). (Will require releasing some combination of Bruno, Vit, Mathues to stay under the tax).

Then if needed combine #15 and #20 to move up in draft. How far can we move up, and/or is it worth it to move up or just pick at #15 and #20?

I wonder if there's any chance we could get Sengun or Eason as the headliner in the deal.  At any rate, there are several intriguing young, inexpensive options on the Rockets.  I think they certainly make for a good trade partner if they do indeed wind up with Harden.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I love these two they play hard, strong bench for us. Gritty rugged dudes, I’ll move from 15 to 20th pick for this deal. 

Tate wouldn’t back down from Harden in a scrimmage in his rookie year, I kinda dug that.

LITTLE MAN TATE!

I'm not talking giving up the #15 pick. I think Clint has enough value to get 1 or 2 of Garuba, Tate, Martin along with #20.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Phunkabilly said:

I wonder if there's any chance we could get Sengun or Eason as the headliner in the deal.  At any rate, there are several intriguing young, inexpensive options on the Rockets.  I think they certainly make for a good trade partner if they do indeed wind up with Harden.

I don't think they'd do either of those two for  Clint, particularly if Harden is going back.

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not talking giving up the #15 pick. I think Clint has enough value to get 1 or 2 of Garuba, Tate, Martin along with #20.

Ya I know I just meant I’d come down from the 15th pick to the 20th, I don’t wanna give the pick either. But if we were to dump Capela and get Tate and Martin and 20th for CC and 15th I’d do it.

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think they'd do either of those two for  Clint, particularly if Harden is going back.

Ya no Sengun isn’t going anywhere, Tari not next year but after that perhaps.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No way. No how.

Garuba and #20 do not make us a better 23-24 team.

Edit... that said... if we're willing to spend that new-found space beneath the tax line to use our MLE on a significant asset... maybe.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, sturt said:

if we're willing to spend that new-found space beneath the tax line to use our MLE on a significant asset... maybe.

Just did the math. If the projected MLE of $11,368,000 is accurate, and if you trade Capela only for the draft pick, you're going to be able to use the full MLE on a free agent.

That's worth some further consideration.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Just did the math. If the projected MLE of $11,368,000 is accurate, and if you trade Capela only for the draft pick, you're going to be able to use the full MLE on a free agent.

That's worth some further consideration.

Hard to figure just yet what FAs would be plausible candidates at that number, but Brook Lopez at age 35 seems like he might fit that bill... seems like his name came up a week or so ago (maybe AHF?).

• Moderators
9 hours ago, sturt said:

Hard to figure just yet what FAs would be plausible candidates at that number, but Brook Lopez at age 35 seems like he might fit that bill... seems like his name came up a week or so ago (maybe AHF?).

I think @kg01 but I could also be mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I've been ridin the BLopez

I pictured it! You of course in all your glory, raised posture like a king 👑 and Brook just running with you on top of his shoulders for the win :cheer:🥇 #anime -#stallionlopez 🐴 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

HOU's GM has within the last month said if HOU ends up getting pushed to the back of the lottery line tomorrow night (ostensibly, ending up with pick #5 or #6), they'll look strongly at a trade.

Me, I'd like to imagine Capela + #15 could be enough or nearly enough to get him interested.

My target being the uber-effective defender from Arkansas, Anthony Black.

We go to war next season with Black and Lopez, that's some serious defensive hardware to deploy... next to Trae reasserting his shooting numbers, that's addressing the off-season's most important concern, imo.