• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023 Draft Thread

akay

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Solid draft; very interested to watch the big develop.  He is coordinated and moves well for his size.  He has little experience and still produced against reasonable competition.  

In all honesty, his offense is more developed than Lively's...  and he has a long way to go.   Because not only can he play with his back to the basket or face up.. but he makes passes out of the post to cutting players.   He has something interesting about him. 

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, StonedDogs said:

Hawks couldn't just kick the tire on Bates?! 2nd round pick is a throw away anyway and you waste it on a senior who definitely going to college park. 

Typical Hawks conservative culture of GMs

We got a guy in Lunde who can shoot.  He's AJ's build but he's a bit hesitant on his shot.   I believe he's going to be a College Park fav.

11 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Solid draft; very interested to watch the big develop.  He is coordinated and moves well for his size.  He has little experience and still produced against reasonable competition.  

He's proof why you can't go off highlight tapes because he looks like a top 3 pick if you go off that.. lol

@Diesel I dont get it. You have a guy with all the potential fall in your lap, potential Durant, and the Hawks being the Hawks try to out think the room. Meanwhile Chris Paul is still playing and has a good chance of getting a ring this upcoming season. 

Could have been fun seeing what a KD lite with a Fox lite could look like together. 

I swear I hate Landry Fields and Kyle in this position with every bone in my body. Lets draft a senior and send him straight to college park. 

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Not sure how Kobe fits, at least for the near future. He's a SG who can be a secondary ball handler, not a PG who can score. He does show some exceptional defensive instincts, but it's hard to see how he gets on the floor.

I know one thing... This dude can finish at the rim. 

Some of our players should take notes... lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, StonedDogs said:

@Diesel I dont get it. You have a guy with all the potential fall in your lap, potential Durant, and the Hawks being the Hawks try to out think the room. Meanwhile Chris Paul is still playing and has a good chance of getting a ring this upcoming season. 

Could have been fun seeing what a KD lite with a Fox lite could look like together. 

I swear I hate Landry Fields and Kyle in this position with every bone in my body. Lets draft a senior and send him straight to college park. 

Potential Durant where?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Diesel said:

In all honesty, his offense is more developed than Lively's...  and he has a long way to go.   Because not only can he play with his back to the basket or face up.. but he makes passes out of the post to cutting players.   He has something interesting about him. 

Don't care about his offense...Can he play defense?

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

Bates was an easy pass. 

Off the court issues. Hopefully, they are behind him.  And he has had Back Problems.  Big red flag.   Finally, where can you play  him?  He's like 6'8" 190.  The thing about KD is that KD is legit 7 foot and strong.   He's rare.  Bates doesn't seem to be that.   When he played, he got a lot of his points from being taller because I believe they started him at Sf and he normally got switched onto a 2.  So you see highlights of him getting his slow release shot off against some 6'3-6'4 dude.   In the pros, he's going to have a hard time getting that shot off. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kg01 said:

Oh no @Spud2nique, Hawkins down!  Hawkins down!  What is we gone do? 

Honestly

i think everyone on squawk got extremely lucky we didn’t land Hawkins. That would have been the 3rd time in 4 years that I NAILED our pick while playing Hawks GM.

Breathe a sigh of relief Squawk, Spud is human.

It would’ve gone straight to my head I tell ya. 

• Haha 4

@Diesel red flag? Bro its the 46th pick not the 4th or the 6th. The guy from Penn is not a steal. 

Again, Chris Paul about to contend for a ring

Josh Childress is a real estate investor 

Josh Smith is somewhere in LA fitness still shooting threes. 

Organization is notorious for out thinking the room but we will just have to see

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Honestly

i think everyone on squawk got extremely lucky we didn’t land Hawkins. That would have been the 3rd time in 4 years that I NAILED our pick while playing Hawks GM.

Breathe a sigh of relief Squawk, Spud is human.

It would’ve gone straight to my head I tell ya. 

@Sothron @sturt 🥇 

image.gif.1c66d7e39da9d07b45d116673ccacbfc.gif

• Haha 1

I can’t give the draft a grade because I’m unfamiliar with the players we drafted.

This draft didn’t rank all that high for me. Underwhelming as far as excitement with our picks. Some may have had Kobe but the consensus of folks didn’t.

If I had to rank Hawks drafts this one would a bit low. 

The drafts I disliked most:

1989- Roy Marble

1992- Adam Keefe (I had watched him play live at Stanford; I think I cried when I heard his name).

1993- Doug Edwards- Probably THE WORST draft ever..

97- Ed Gray

98- Roshown McLeod 

2000- Dermarr J.

2014- Adreian Payne

2016- Bembry

and 2023…

But I gotta give Kobe a fair shot. Hope he’s good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StonedDogs said:

@Diesel red flag? Bro its the 46th pick not the 4th or the 6th. The guy from Penn is not a steal. 

Again, Chris Paul about to contend for a ring

Josh Childress is a real estate investor 

Josh Smith is somewhere in LA fitness still shooting threes. 

Organization is notorious for out thinking the room but we will just have to see

Chris Paul was the Marvin Williams draft, but point taken.

Also, the entire Hawks organization is different from ownership on down. The only person still around the building since that time is Nique, so I guess blame him?

Either way, we have nailed our drafts since the Schlenk era, we shall see how Landry and co. do. Not blaming any of them for the sins of 2005.

• Like 1