• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023 Draft Thread

akay

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Underwhelming draft for me overall. I did my homework on about 8-10 guys I thought we might be in the mix for to draft. 

Nope.

Not familiar Will Kobe. Gotta watch 🎞️.

Go Hawks!

He's solid.  He was in my guys I thought the Hawks could pick, but I guess I wanted a bigger wing?  He's good, not great at everything and showed a big leap between his freshmen and sophmore season.  He plays excellent defense and may help with the point of attack once he develops.  Needs to put on more weight though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

He's solid.  He was in my guys I thought the Hawks could pick, but I guess I wanted a bigger wing?  He's good, not great at everything and showed a big leap between his freshmen and sophmore season.  He plays excellent defense and may help with the point of attack once he develops.  Needs to put on more weight though.

Nice. I was wondering what you thought of him and wanted your opinion as it’s always been solid. I gotta watch film 🎞️ on him for sure and maybe even try to grab the Michigan games from this past season and watch the games. Thanks 🙏🏿 

• Like 2

Just now, Spud2nique said:

I think the Nuggets struck gold at #40 with Maxwell Lewis. Didn’t they get Jokic in the 40’s as well, 46? 

Are the Nuggets the old Spurs scouts or…

Man for real!  I was hoping the Hawks would take him with their second round, but I got to do some research on the big they traded for. 

• Like 1

Just now, marco102 said:

Man for real!  I was hoping the Hawks would take him with their second round, but I got to do some research on the big they traded for. 

That dude shouldn’t have slipped that far as far as I saw in film 🎞️. He might do well with Jokic, then again it’s Jokic, everyone plays better around him.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, terrell said:

AHol and Trent Forrest combined for about 1100 minutes last year.

Give Bufkin those min next season? lol

1. Of course, we had no AHols on the roster this past season, just like we had no King Kongs. We try to defer to the likely preference of players even if no one's ever asked whether they'd be okay with a potentially unappreciated label. Courteous and respectful it is okay to be.

2. To the real point of your response to this statement... (and my apologies that I'm terrible trying to peck this out on my phone, so the reply is buried beneath the quote...)

12 hours ago, sturt said:

Not sure how Kobe fits, at least for the near future. He's a SG who can be a secondary ball handler, not a PG who can score. He does show some exceptional defensive instincts, but it's hard to see how he gets on the floor. 

... that's just it... we did not draft someone who's a primary ball handler, anymore than we'd expect that of BogBog, or in a previous era, KVon. He may develop that, sure, but he can't be your 3rd PG going into 23-24.

Right now he impresses me as possibly a future KCP. But that's purely a first impression given the few hours we've had to study the kid.

• Premium Member

Radio Interviews from this afternoon:

Landry Fields:

https://omny.fm/shows/dukes-bell/landry-fields-addresses-the-state-of-the-hawks-aft

Talks draft, Luxury Tax and his GM role

Steve Koonin:

https://omny.fm/shows/dukes-bell/hawks-ceo-steve-koonin-evaluates-the-draft

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Sources tell John hollinger of The Athletic that Whitmore's medicals were red-flagged by some teams due to concerns about his knees while his workouts and interviews were also underwhelming.

One source described Whitmore as "comatose" during the predraft evaluations. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sources tell John hollinger of The Athletic that Whitmore's medicals were red-flagged by some teams due to concerns about his knees while his workouts and interviews were also underwhelming.

One source described Whitmore as "comatose" during the predraft evaluations. 

Damaged goods.

Listened to the two.  Koonin, as expected, is super excited about the draft.  He says that the draft room loved it when their choice was still available at pick #15.  Also, when they were able to trade up in the 2nd round and grab the big boy.  Mohammed seems to be a very raw player who can be a project and, if willing to learn, become a really nice pick.

Landry sounds like a good old country boy that you shouldn't take lightly.  He knows what he's doing.  He knows what is necessary to make this thing work.  His is the voice we need to hear about this Hawk team, where it is right now, where it is going and how he expects it to get there.

:smug:

• Like 3

Be careful what you wish for.  You may get it.  We remember the prayer, "Lord, give me patience and give it to me now!"

"We glory in tribulation also; knowing that tribulations worketh patience."  Romans 5:3

If I have to go thru tribulations to gain patience, I don't know if it's worth it or not.  I noticed that Landry mentioned patience when talking about the Hawks.  Hawk fans here on the Squawk have had our share of tribulations.  We have gone thru questionable owners and questionable coaches.  We've believed in certain players who have not lived up to what we believed that they were capable of.

Last season we were a .500 club.  We can be better.  We must be better.  It began when we hired a new head coach.  It continued into him hiring all new assistant coaches.  Before this happened the Hawks hired a new GM and staff.  Then came the recent draft.  We believe and hope that everything is falling into place.  Keep the faith!

:smug:

• Like 2