• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

5 hours ago, tyjcdh112012 said:

@Sothron@NBASupes@thecampsterbased on the most updated info you guys have. What likelihood do you give of this KAT trade being pulled off/ any other major trade like this?

there will most likely be something but what likelihood would you assign a big move?

image.gif.4a71b9092a808e86a239584acd19600c.gif

:unsure:

:er:

:mellow:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, tyjcdh112012 said:

@Sothron@NBASupes@thecampsterbased on the most updated info you guys have. What likelihood do you give of this KAT trade being pulled off/ any other major trade like this?

there will most likely be something but what likelihood would you assign a big move?

Hey there!  Welcome to the Squawk!  That expected big deal is still up in the wind.  We still have no clue of what three or four other NBA teams are going to do.  When they start signing their players, then we expect some action.

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule

13 hours ago, Diesel said:

You ever think about the flawed players we are considering...

KAT - Injury prone.  Will make Big money over the next 5 years. 

Zion -  Stays injured. 

Simmons - Broken player; Shell of himself. 

Siakam - Has come out and said he won't resign with us if we trade for him.  High Usage; Low TS%.  Will Command 5 year 242 Million dollar deal at 30.  

PG13 - Lately, he can't stay on the court. 

JB - Not a good outside shooter.  Will command near max money.

Damn.

Yep, this is why they are not untouchable.  Last summer I thought Murray was a near flawless acquisition, but we saw a lot of imperfection from him last season. 
The GM has to thread the needle and it's not easy.  On here fans are demanding: 1. Spend the money 2. Keep young talent 3. Acquire more vets or stars
Tony Ressler is a cheap owner if he doesn't blow through to the 2nd apron, but if he signs the wrong players you are stuck with hard to move contracts and a Twolves type of roster and draft capital.  

Starting to wonder if the best move will be mid season or even after the season when a team is more motivated to make a trade or desperate to avoid tax penalties.  We have this $25M TPE.  Sacramento gave a 1st round pick for someone just to take Richaun Holmes.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Yep, this is why they are not untouchable.  Last summer I thought Murray was a near flawless acquisition, but we saw a lot of imperfection from him last season. 
The GM has to thread the needle and it's not easy.  On here fans are demanding: 1. Spend the money 2. Keep young talent 3. Acquire more vets or stars
Tony Ressler is a cheap owner if he doesn't blow through to the 2nd apron, but if he signs the wrong players you are stuck with hard to move contracts and a Twolves type of roster and draft capital.  

Starting to wonder if the best move will be mid season or even after the season when a team is more motivated to make a trade or desperate to avoid tax penalties.  We have this $25M TPE.  Sacramento gave a 1st round pick for someone just to take Richaun Holmes.  

Agree with you that patience might be the best bet right now.  There are a lot of teams with untenable cap situations.

I don't agree with @Diesel on Jaylen Brown though.  He's a very good shooter from outside, but his shot selection has been worse the last couple of years.  A lot of iso pull up threes.  Either way, even his %s are not bad, considering the volume of threes he's taking.  I think DJ will improve a lot playing under Quin as well, but I was disappointed with his on-ball defense last year.  I know we've all been beating this drum.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

The GM has to thread the needle and it's not easy.  On here fans are demanding: 1. Spend the money 2. Keep young talent 3. Acquire more vets or stars with exceptional two-way efficiency.

*fixed for "DE-fanse"

• Premium Member

Pacers interested in Pascal Siakam

i_f4_ac_77_pascal-siakam.png?w=190

As for if, when or where Siakam might be traded? Per league sources, the Raptors are still listening, trying to gauge the market value for their leading scorer and leading returning – in theory – playmaker. Atlanta remains a possibility and Indiana has also reached out.  The Raptors don’t intend to drag the process out for weeks or months, but they don’t seem ready to close the door on a Siakam trade just yet. Meanwhile, they still remain committed to avoiding a total rebuild — in other words, nothing they do or don’t do with Siakam will make them any more inclined to trade O.G. Anunoby, the 25-year-old all-NBA defender who also has one year left on his deal. Teams are welcome to call about Anunoby, but don’t expect a call back — that’s the message.

– via SportsNet

For the Raptors, the most notable absence all weekend has been Pascal Siakam, the Raptors All-Star forward who has been featured in trade rumours for the past few weeks.  No one wants to go on the record as to why Siakam has stayed away, but it seems reasonable to guess that since the Raptors have yet to discuss a contract extension, and instead Siakam has been prominently featured in trade talks, he isn’t all that keen to be on-site in Vegas. After all, it would be awkward cheering on Raptors’ prospects only to learn he’s being dealt the next day, or whatever. Siakam is coming off a season in which he averaged 24.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 5.8 assists, and the 29-year-old Siakam is eligible for as much as $192 million over four years on a deal that would kick in for the 2024-25 season.

– via SportsNet
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Pacers interested in Pascal Siakam

i_f4_ac_77_pascal-siakam.png?w=190

As for if, when or where Siakam might be traded? Per league sources, the Raptors are still listening, trying to gauge the market value for their leading scorer and leading returning – in theory – playmaker. Atlanta remains a possibility and Indiana has also reached out.  The Raptors don’t intend to drag the process out for weeks or months, but they don’t seem ready to close the door on a Siakam trade just yet. Meanwhile, they still remain committed to avoiding a total rebuild — in other words, nothing they do or don’t do with Siakam will make them any more inclined to trade O.G. Anunoby, the 25-year-old all-NBA defender who also has one year left on his deal. Teams are welcome to call about Anunoby, but don’t expect a call back — that’s the message.

– via SportsNet

For the Raptors, the most notable absence all weekend has been Pascal Siakam, the Raptors All-Star forward who has been featured in trade rumours for the past few weeks.  No one wants to go on the record as to why Siakam has stayed away, but it seems reasonable to guess that since the Raptors have yet to discuss a contract extension, and instead Siakam has been prominently featured in trade talks, he isn’t all that keen to be on-site in Vegas. After all, it would be awkward cheering on Raptors’ prospects only to learn he’s being dealt the next day, or whatever. Siakam is coming off a season in which he averaged 24.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 5.8 assists, and the 29-year-old Siakam is eligible for as much as $192 million over four years on a deal that would kick in for the 2024-25 season.

– via SportsNet

Interesting, wonder what the Pacers are offering... if Toronto really doesn't want to go through a rebuild, I don't see many players that Toronto would be interested in... Mathurin probably isn't available... so maybe Jalen Smith?  Matching salarie would be tough for them... assume Buddy Hield would have to be included and maybe Theis?  It would be a pick package more than anything, but according to reports, Raptors seem to prefer players.  I imagine we're still the best trade partner but we just have to wait out Masai's delusional valuation.

And for the record, I don't buy any of the reports that Siakam isn't going to re-sign... it just doesn't really make any sense for such a blanket statement to hold any weight.  Not unless he specifically wants to play for a particular team, but I have no heard anything around that.  His camp is just posturing for a supermax, which is clearly his desired outcome.  I'd be happy if we land him for a reasonable package.  His defense would be very helpful to this roster as would his offensive versatility.

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

The most interesting thing in that article is that the Raps have not even discussed an extension with him. 

Yeah, which makes statements like this even more interesting and unbelievable:

From an older article: "Any team trying to trade for Siakam must be careful, as according to Chris Haynes of Bleacher Report and TNT, Siakam prefers to stay with the Raptors and the forward may not re-sign with a team who trades for him."

It feels like both things cannot be true.  He wants to stay with the Raptors so he might not sign with a team that trades for him is sort of a logical incongruency.  Like, clearly, his desire to stay with the Raptors would change immediately if they traded him away and did not offer him a supermax... I get that his focus right now is a veteran max extension, but that would/should clearly change if he were traded.  If he doesn't have a particular city he wants to live in [outside of Toronto], then his desire to stay shouldn't be much of a factor.  And if they're not even negotiating an extension, he clearly isn't staying in Toronto. 

Whole thing is just sort of stalled right now, and it seems like the stalling is due to Pascal's need to reconcile his current reality with his hopes to get that sweet, sweet 35% deal.  I still like his fit more than KAT, and probably even more than JB, on this roster.  The question is would he re-sign and that's what our front office has to figure out.  At least with JB we can feel pretty confident he'd like to stay in Atlanta.  He'd probably show face around here at Braves games and such, given how prominently he reps the city -- even while in boston -- even during playoff post game pressers.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Tell me the price, though lol

Raps seem like they are in a corner a little bit.  I'd be fine with a 1 year rental if the price isn't too high.  I know they are looking for a lot more but teams seem wary.  

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Tell me the price, though lol

:stirthepot:  They are hoping Atlanta says, "Just pick out whoever you want on our roster!"

So far, this hasn't happened, so, no deal.

😇

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Raps seem like they are in a corner a little bit.  I'd be fine with a 1 year rental if the price isn't too high.  I know they are looking for a lot more but teams seem wary.  

My avatar don’t lie.

• Like 1