• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

8 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

I would still give Klay a shot if the opportunity was right.  He still averaged 18ppg and shot 39% from 3 last year on high volume.  He had some bad games but I think he's still a solid contributor.  

Dre for Klay? 

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think it's more nuanced than that.  What you are looking at is a Brandon Ingram that is going to want a max extension and will likely get it from someone.  So, it's not as black and white as "is this better than doing nothing", because if you trade for Ingram, it has to be with other assets to make it good for the Hawks because Ingram on a max extension is not good for the Hawks in anyway.  

When I say "is this better than doing nothing", I'm not talking about for the 2024-2025 season.  I'm referring to the long term future of the Hawks.  I personally think it would be better because team success begets more team success, and Ingram is a better fit in my opinion and getting picks / young players is very good for us because we have the staff to turn those picks/player into positive assets, if we do not decide to trade them.  I also disagree that other teams will offer Ingram a max, but even if they do, a SnT would likely be in order and we could retain player bird rights that way, keeping flexibility to stay over the cap.  Or if Ingram fits nicely and we have nice results next year, we could consider keeping him.  We don't need to know if his fit is excellent or not before extending him, which is a big reason I feel this deal is more palatable than rolling the dice on someone that has a lot of time left on their contract.  I just seriously doubt a lot of teams are dying to throw a max bag at Ingram though.

7 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

I would still give Klay a shot if the opportunity was right.  He still averaged 18ppg and shot 39% from 3 last year on high volume.  He had some bad games but I think he's still a solid contributor.  

How can you say 26 year old Ingram doesn't help this team at all and then suggest we go throw a bag at completely washed and constantly injured, 34 year old Klay Thompson?  That makes no sense at all.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

When I say "is this better than doing nothing", I'm not talking about for the 2024-2025 season.  I'm referring to the long term future of the Hawks.  I personally think it would be better because team success begets more team success, and Ingram is a better fit in my opinion and getting picks / young players is very good for us because we have the staff to turn those picks/player into positive assets, if we do not decide to trade them.  I also disagree that other teams will offer Ingram a max, but even if they do, a SnT would likely be in order and we could retain player bird rights that way, keeping flexibility to stay over the cap.  Or if Ingram fits nicely and we have nice results next year, we could consider keeping him.  We don't need to know if his fit is excellent or not before extending him, which is a big reason I feel this deal is more palatable than rolling the dice on someone that has a lot of time left on their contract.  I just seriously doubt a lot of teams are dying to throw a max bag at Ingram though.

How can you say 26 year old Ingram doesn't help this team at all and then suggest we go throw a bag at completely washed and constantly injured, 34 year old Klay Thompson?  That makes no sense at all.  

If you are advocating for Ingram, I'm not sure how you can criticize Klay for being injured.  Klay played in 77 games this year.  Outside of the 2 missed seasons he's been one of the most reliable players in the NBA for his entire career.  BTW I said I would be open to him if the opportunity/price was right, I wouldn't be throwing a "bag" at him. 

Ingram is much less reliable.  He averages like 55 games a year.  He hasn't played more than 64 games since 2016.  And he wants 50+ million?  He's barely a top 50 player even when healthy, in overall impact he's probably less than that.  The problem is he is 26 so he will probably get that money from someone.  His price makes him much less valuable to me.

I doubt we will even have a shot at Klay though so it really doesn't matter. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

We don't need to know if his fit is excellent or not before extending him, which is a big reason I feel this deal is more palatable than rolling the dice on someone that has a lot of time left on their contract. 

Should I read this as meaning that we would have a year to figure out how good his fit is before we would have to make a decision on extending him?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Keys if we are going to be successful building around Trae.

1.  Need shooters at every position.  The Center doesn't have to be a great shooter, just needs the ability to hit a midrange jumper to keep the defense honest.  This will unlock Trae drives again.

2.  Length and defense at every other position.  

I think JJ and Hunter both fit here.  We need to square up the 5 (I like OO but he will struggle against bigger 5's like Zubac/Lopez/Valencunis) so we will need a BIG 5 off the bench.  And we need an SG who can play D and hit the 3.

I'd be willing to trade DJM in a package centered around Herb Jones but I just don't think NOP would be willing to do that.  

Dyson Daniels can't shoot at all so I don't want him playing beside Trae.  To me he doesn't even have potential as a shooter, he's a career 64% FT shooter.  That will not work.  He's Andre Roberson 2.0 IMO

You hit the nail on the head.  Still need this for Trae.  Even his dad knows and is sharing it.

Get us this lineup Landry!

image.gif

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Should I read this as meaning that we would have a year to figure out how good his fit is before we would have to make a decision on extending him?

Yeah, it's an advantage for us imo because we have "control".  Ingram wanting a max is a significantly better position to be in than acquiring a player who is already on a max contract that may or may not fit well.  We can make the decision later if it's worth it to pay Ingram what it might take to get him to stay.  SnT isn't ideal but would be an out if some team wants to max him and we decide it's not worth it.  Gives us options in the future which is always a big plus, considering we're not in a position to "go all-in" on anyone.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

You hit the nail on the head.  Still need this for Trae.  Even his dad knows and is sharing it.

Get us this lineup Landry!

image.gif

:Korver: Look at me.  Look at me... I'm the captain now. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, it's an advantage for us imo because we have "control".  Ingram wanting a max is a significantly better position to be in than acquiring a player who is already on a max contract that may or may not fit well.  We can make the decision later if it's worth it to pay Ingram what it might take to get him to stay.  SnT isn't ideal but would be an out if some team wants to max him and we decide it's not worth it.  Gives us options in the future which is always a big plus, considering we're not in a position to "go all-in" on anyone.

I don’t see the advantage.  He’s already overpaid.  He is an ill fitting player who doesn’t have the right shot profile and doesn’t help our defensive issues on the perimeter.  It’s a trade for the sake of making a trade.  

7 hours ago, AtLaS said:

1000%.  Swapping Murray for Ingram doesn't improve this team at all.  And IMO there is no way NO includes Herb Jones in the deal.  I hope I'm wrong but the whole world is watching what Minnesota is doing and will want long, defensive wings.  

I think it's just our FO having conversations simply because he is available and he is long.  But he doesn't play defense.  That won't work beside Trae.  I get it, we can't stand pat but I just don't like Ingram as the sole prize.  

Murray is an excellent asset with his production + contract situation.  We don't need to rush it.  I would still be open to trading Trae and keeping Murray too depending on the offer.  I know that will create issues too but we need to feel out the market.  This offseason and after playoff exits, teams will be looking to make moves.

I agree with this. And I believe Trae is the best player on the team but I do think we should see what’s out there. Murray isn’t a superstar but could we get one by trading Trae for someone who could pair well with Murray? I’m not saying it’s out there but we’d have to at least look into it. 

No one that has a Trae Young caliber of player is going to trade that player.  A Trae trade will net a bunch of FRPs and very little in the way of immediate talent.  

This isn’t a rumor but there is speculation that if the Spurs win the lottery again, they will offer that pick among others to Atlanta for Trae.  

I do have to LOL at their thought that a package of the #1 pick, Keldon Johnson, Devonta Graham, Malaki Branham, and a second first round pick is remotely good enough to get Trae.  

If SA wants Trae, it’s going to take them sending Atlanta Vassell and 4 firsts.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

:Korver: Look at me.  Look at me... I'm the captain now. 

I sure hope Kyle had good taste in movies as a kid and did not get sucked into the “new legacy” garbage.

• Premium Member
On 5/7/2024 at 1:39 PM, Mikey said:

I never understand this sentiment amongst hawks fans. The draft is the one area the hawks have killed it. 

Jc at 19, huerter at 19, jalen at 20, Kobe. They had to draft wings in 2019 and took a project and the ncaa best wing just haven’t panned out to stars. Took the best big in 20 when the pick fell. They never had draft luck but made most of it. The worst pick in recent memory is AJ? Who looked awesome his first season but fell in year 2 and even then we know who Schlenk really wanted 

Ever heard of Jon Koncak?  @KG01 nailed it.  When you have been as bad over in the drafts for many years it's hard to be optimistic.   

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

It's really sad Klay Thompson has fallen off the cliff.

Indeed.

image.gif.2c54bd2bdd2e800addd51a6e63f3c916.gif

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, KB21 said:

No one that has a Trae Young caliber of player is going to trade that player.  A Trae trade will net a bunch of FRPs and very little in the way of immediate talent.  

This isn’t a rumor but there is speculation that if the Spurs win the lottery again, they will offer that pick among others to Atlanta for Trae.  

Yep, franchise centerpieces, particularly ones bringing in $$$, don't get moved unless it's for a bunch of picks and young unproven players.  No player like Trae is going to want to go to a team that just got gutted to bring him in.  It's the whole reason Lillard to Miami  was never going to happen last offseason.

13 hours ago, KB21 said:

I do have to LOL at their thought that a package of the #1 pick, Keldon Johnson, Devonta Graham, Malaki Branham, and a second first round pick is remotely good enough to get Trae.  

If SA wants Trae, it’s going to take them sending Atlanta Vassell and 4 firsts.  

Who would we even take with the number 1 pick?  Or any pick in the top 4 for that matter.  I can't see a scenario where that makes sense for us.  We'd have to get our picks back at a minimum if we're sending Trae out and rebuilding

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yall tryna have the lighest skin team in the league? Trae, Ingram, Thompson, JJ. It’ll be the Debarges 2.0 lol

I’ll call Darius Miles…. :mellow:… 

and possibly pick up Bol Bol @kg01’s fav 🥳 :batman:

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

Dre for Klay? 

You pulling our leg, dragi?

If you pull Kl0y Th0mps0n's leg, it'll pop off like a lego. 

29 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ll call Darius Miles…. :mellow:… 

and possibly pick up Bol Bol @kg01’s fav 🥳 :batman:

I can only shake my head on this one. 🫣. Wait til @JayBirdHawk hears this.  She gon hit you with the cat gif. 

Speaking of Bol, he's on the list of all time hawksquawk legends now.  Guys folks kept claiming were great but who weren't.  Christian Wood is on the list too. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

She gon hit you with the cat gif. 

Buuu buuuu buuu.. I just looked at me wrist I got time today ⏰ 💃 {in my best Mark Jones “so not gangsta” voice}. :frantics:

27 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Christian Wood

Always up to no hood (no sp mistake meaning he can’t stick in a hood}. :dance:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

it'll pop off like a lego. 

:laugh1: It’s too early to laugh this hard. I just literally imagined… naw this is turning pure evil 😈 I’m not goin there.. karma has been a bit lately 🤦‍♀️