• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

As a bit of a non-sequitor and at the risk of being a bit off topic, I'm skeptical that the report about the Spurs being willing to give up the 4, 8 and all the picks we gave them for DJM (plus whatever amounts to matching salary) is real.  But let's assume it is real for a moment.  That would mean that same coach (Pops) who blackballed Trae on the national teams because LP bad mouthed him is so desperate to get Trae that he is willing to give up a king's ransom worth of lottery and high potential picks to get the same player he refused to support in the past.  That would just be a strange dynamic.  I think that would speak to how damaging LP was for Trae's reputation with certain people and how much of that was based on LP and his connections rather than Trae's game.

I already think that LP did Trae dirty and that this is a really remarkable thing for a coach to do to his best player so if I buy into this idea that Pops is willing to sell out to get Trae now then it puts that betrayal in an even worse light.

Interesting observation.  I always thought LP was more interested in politics and social issues than he was actually coaching up young players.  He always gave off that smarmy, snake oils salesmen vibe to me.  But I admit my perception of him is really poor and probably skewed by his dealings with Trae. 

In regards to the return from SAS, I've asked a few times on here because they (Spurs) don't have many high $ contracts on their roster.  A lot of small deals plus Vassell at $29M, Johnson at $19M, and Zach Collins at $16M.  The only way the deal works easily (without a 3rd team) is if you include 1 or 2 of these players.  I'm actually less interested in getting our own picks back and more interested in trying to build off of this type of trade to get better rather than get worse. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Question for those in the know.  I thought it was a far fetched, dumb idea but is there any consideration of making a run at bringing Lebron here?  I was a never a big fan but Trae/Lebron/JJ would be something for a year or two.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

As a bit of a non-sequitor and at the risk of being a bit off topic, I'm skeptical that the report about the Spurs being willing to give up the 4, 8 and all the picks we gave them for DJM (plus whatever amounts to matching salary) is real.  But let's assume it is real for a moment.  That would mean that same coach (Pops) who blackballed Trae on the national teams because LP bad mouthed him is so desperate to get Trae that he is willing to give up a king's ransom worth of lottery and high potential picks to get the same player he refused to support in the past.  That would just be a strange dynamic.  I think that would speak to how damaging LP was for Trae's reputation with certain people and how much of that was based on LP and his connections rather than Trae's game.

I already think that LP did Trae dirty and that this is a really remarkable thing for a coach to do to his best player so if I buy into this idea that Pops is willing to sell out to get Trae now then it puts that betrayal in an even worse light.

I agree with this 100.  That sabotage job that LP did to Trae is still haunting him. 

As stated...I don't know why the Spurs would be willing to give that up for Trae whether it aligns or not.  Every time the trade winds blow around Atlanta....we're left with more questions than answers and are left with nothing but "could have,should have...". I'm skeptical of any trade thoughts until they happen.  (And yes insiders, I value your insights). 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, JustSomeGuy said:

If the best we can get for Trae, today, are some middling 1RP. Hold him another year. Those deals will still be there. 

I would take it just to get off his salary

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Question for those in the know.  I thought it was a far fetched, dumb idea but is there any consideration of making a run at bringing Lebron here?  I was a never a big fan but Trae/Lebron/JJ would be something for a year or two.  

In a more joking sense, I actually wondered what that would look like. (And I a do not much care for LeBron)

8 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

That is poverty mentality.  We complain about Ressler being a "cheap" owner because he's yet to pay the LT, yet you'd take a deal simply to "get off" a top 15 player in the league, who is entering their prime years and has improved every season's "salary". 

It's pure stupidity is what it is.  And there's exactly ZERO chance peo actually believes that.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

For those questions asked of me:

I just forgot to put Jalen in option 2 or 3, whichever one I forgot to list him in. My apologies, it was really late when I finally heard back from that source and could post about this. The only option on the table right now for Jalen to be traded is option #1, the Giannis trade. He would remain a Hawk otherwise.

For the salary matching purposes with SAS: they would include someone(s) just to make the salaries work. I heard Keldon Johnson name and frankly to me he's just a salary with a body attached. He has no appeal to me at all.

It will take more than just Keldon.  Vassell works because his $29 million salary works.  They will have to add salary to Keldon to make it work.  

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

It will take more than just Keldon.  Vassell works because his $29 million salary works.  They will have to add salary to Keldon to make it work.  

IIRC taking Vassell in a deal was not what SAS wanted to do. The salaries would end up matching to make things work. I remember Keldon Johnson's name being mentioned and then when I asked about Vassell I got the above answer. Then was told don't worry, they would just match salaries to make it work. So...other than Keldon Johnson coming back and Vassell apparently off the table I'm not sure who all that leaves but apparently whoever it would be is just there for salary reasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

They will include Keldon and garbage to make up the difference or they will reduce the number of picks coming if they give up Vassell.  Vassell is a core guy for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

IIRC taking Vassell in a deal was not what SAS wanted to do. The salaries would end up matching to make things work. I remember Keldon Johnson's name being mentioned and then when I asked about Vassell I got the above answer. Then was told don't worry, they would just match salaries to make it work. So...other than Keldon Johnson coming back and Vassell apparently off the table I'm not sure who all that leaves but apparently whoever it would be is just there for salary reasons.

Is there ANY possibility of a deal for Giannis WITHOUT giving up Sarr?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sothron said:

For those questions asked of me:

I just forgot to put Jalen in option 2 or 3, whichever one I forgot to list him in. My apologies, it was really late when I finally heard back from that source and could post about this. The only option on the table right now for Jalen to be traded is option #1, the Giannis trade. He would remain a Hawk otherwise.

For the salary matching purposes with SAS: they would include someone(s) just to make the salaries work. I heard Keldon Johnson name and frankly to me he's just a salary with a body attached. He has no appeal to me at all.

I'm still not seeing how salaries match up with the potential deal for Giannis. 

Giannis $49m

Capela $22m
Jalen $4.5m
#1 pick $10m

TOTAL $36.5m

We'd need to add a little more salary to that wouldn't we? 

16 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The Hawks should absolutely tell SA that if they want Trae, we want Vassell and start the talks from there.  Keldon is a decent player, but he's not going to be a long-term core piece.  He's not enough of a two-way player to be a core piece.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They'd want Vassell's defense next to Trae.