• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Free Agency 06/30 at 6PM

JayBirdHawk

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

It just looks like a failed experiment. But my guess will be that the hawks management will not cut their loses.

Id cut my losses before I maxed him if we look no better than last year.... Thats even more reckless.. No need to compound the issue....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

I feel the sentiment here.  It's absurd how much athletes are paid -- sure, it might be easy to rationalize it from a business perspective, but that does not really address your root sentiment, which is the more philosophical question is any job really worth hundreds of millions of dollarsor is any person really worth hundreds of millions of dollars... or another way to think about it, is one persons time and effort worth 800x as much as another persons?  Arguments like "they work really hard at their craft" just don't really land when you're talking about an eight hundred multiplier.  I type this as I watch construction workers build a high rise outside my window -- likely making less than even a teacher -- for their 6th working day of the week.

Of course, we know why athletes get paid this much, as anyone can pencil out the math of revenue, ratings, viewership, and justify the pay by the revenue brought in and the profits, but when you dig deep, it's ultimately a reflection of how we've structured our economic framework and what we value.  Equality is a nice word for motivational posters but what these athletes are capitalizing on is ultimately genetic exception -- something you or I had no equal opportunity to pursue.  Of course, any one persons ability to change this framework is extremely limited, so I mostly try not to dwell on the cognitive dissonance created by my ideological stances and the fact I'm a contributor into what supports the system itself, which is more or less inevitable.

TL:DR = Bernie Sanders has entered the chat. 🤣

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Let me see if I understand all this proposed trading and swapping and getting.

Hawks keep Trae Young and Murray.  Swap all the remainder 1st and 2nd string player for a 3rd super star center.  This gives Atlanta 3 players on max deals.  We still have 3 draft picks and everyone else who are not now on the 1st or 2nd string!  Got it!  Capela, Hunter, Bey, JJ, Bogie,0017,  all get traded for this super star center we're getting.

By the way, with three players drawing the super max contracts, how much $$$ payroll do we have for the three draft picks and whoever is left?  Will there be enough for all of the other Hawks to qualify for the minimum NBA pay?

Is everyone on board with this deal??

:smug:

Just a lot of fan of 2K sports garbage...They know these proposals make no sense

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't have ultimate conviction that Trae/Murray will never work; I just lean towards agreement with Supes stance, right now.  I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.  For Cleveland as an example though, it's working because of Mobley being on a rookie scale deal, in my opinion, and when it comes time to pay him, they are going to have to make some tough decisions.  When I think of a sustainable core long-term, the goal is to have 2-3 key pieces on veteran deals and be able to fill in around them.

Putting shooters around them is the tough part as you have roughly $90M for the final 11-13 roster slots.  Add in someone like KAT or Siakam and you now have about $40-50M for the final 10-12 roster slots.  You have absolutely no cap to spend on shooters, who are quite expensive.  You really don't have money for any solid role players at that point, so I'm not even sure if we'd be able to retain OO or JJ.  So creating a big 3 is almost impossible with the new CBA unless those three players perfectly complement each others game, and I would argue the fit with Tray and Murray is mediocre -- nowhere near perfect.  If Murray can be lights out from 3 and improve significantly as a perimeter defender, maybe the pairing will work, but it's an uphill battle imo.

#1 - 75% of your playoff teams are paying the Luxury Tax, some more than others. You have to pay the cost to be the boss. If Ressler thinks he has to have a guaranteed winner before he pays the tax, he's not watching how the league functions.

#2 - You also pay money to keep promising guys on rookie deals. If OO, AJ and JJ are the guys you want to secure, then do it. And don't be afraid to pay the tax to do it.  In the meantime, expand the roles of those players to get maximum value today. All will not get significant offers.

#3 - Don't fall in love with role players. The Lakers are masters at making top dollar commitment to their stars, while being more than willing to flip anyone else.  Only LeBron and AD remain off of their 2020 Bubble Championship.

If we really wanted to transform this team, we could've had both Bogi and Dre on expiring deals. Add Collins TPE, and you have opportunity to change the role playing mix, plus give OO, JJ, and AJ significant minutes to maximize their production from rookie deals.

But no matter which approach we take, we should not try to build the best team possible and be leery of paying the tax ... even if we're not a top 8 team.

In essence, as someone said earlier, we CAN keep everyone if we want. Just have to pay to do it.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Got it!  Capela, Hunter, Bey, JJ, Bogie,0017,  all get traded for this super star center we're getting.

No Gramps. Don't think there is anyone rumored player up for trade where we trade all this.

• Sad 1

Finally, the day is here. 

News can finally come out. 

There are a lot of suitors. Not just with Miami and Brooklyn. Philly is extremely interested. LAC is interested but Dame isn’t that interested in going to LA. 

Philly is really interested. They are basically refusing to trade Harden if they don't get another legit star in return, lol. The reason is fair, no 2nd star, no. 

Toronto is also interested but Dame doesn't want to go there. 

I think he ends up in Philadelphia or Miami. Brooklyn just doesn't have the players but they do have the picks. 

Miami seems unlikely unless they can find a 3rd team that can fund the deal for Portland. 

I think it's Philly. They trying and willing to do anything to keep Embiid.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why is this a surprise? We do not have capspace and we knew that going in.

We have the NTMLE ($12 mil).and BAE to ($5 mil) as FA money which we'll hold unto until we do other trades to makrs sure we have sufficient space under the tax for any such trades. 

We cannot use the $25 mil TPE to sign free agents.

All this teams making these bad contacts even worse than jc

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Breaking:

Atlanta is willing to fund a 3 way with the Clippers if Dame decided he wants to go to LAC. 

Atlanta is targeting Paul George. 

What does that mean exactly?  Still pay too much for PG? Sounds like the same dish made in a different skillet.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

#1 - 75% of your playoff teams are paying the Luxury Tax, some more than others. You have to pay the cost to be the boss. If Ressler thinks he has to have a guaranteed winner before he pays the tax, he's not watching how the league functions.

This is true historically but there is a new CBA with new ramifications for paying the tax.  It's no longer a no-brainer decision to go deep into the tax to try to win.  Look at Phoenix -- 4 guys + vet minimums.  I don't even know who their 5th starter is going to be... it's not a slam dunk roster by any means.

18 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

#3 - Don't fall in love with role players. The Lakers are masters at making top dollar commitment to their stars, while being more than willing to flip anyone else.  Only LeBron and AD remain off of their 2020 Bubble Championship.

Lakers are a pretty weird example as they have done nothing but mismanagement their roster since their championship.  I don't think anyone should look to the Lakers front office for how to build a contender.  They landed Lebron because they're in LA and the largest market team which led to a chip.  Same reason AD wanted to be traded there... every other decision they have made has been horrible but they got a chip because the arguable GOAT player wanted to sign there in FA...

20 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But no matter which approach we take, we should not try to build the best team possible and be leery of paying the tax ... even if we're not a top 8 team.

We shouldn't be leary of paying the tax, but as I mentioned in my other post, you only have $7M of room before there are consequences to paying that tax.  And with an $85M starting back court, the roster is going to have holes that we will need the MLE to fill and we will need the flexibility afforded of being under the first apron.  We can't just look to the past anymore to see what the most effective path forward will be.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Maybe Philly....one of the reasons Maxey may not have been extended.

But why would POR want him when they have Scoot and Simons and Sharpe? 

34 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Herro Robinson and parts.

Haha, those are asses not assets😄

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Hawkish said:

What does that mean exactly?  Still pay too much for PG? Sounds like the same dish made in a different skillet.

Portland wants draft picks and young players. 

The issue with Miami is that they have the best team after a Dame trade but Portland doesn't like what Miami has to offer. Miami is in the driver seat

Dame still has priority 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

@LarsV8 is on point with Lopez. Houston is putting the full court press on him and Milwaukee has put players on the block Pat M and Grayson A on the block to free up cap space. So it's gonna be difficult. 

And I hope that can persuade him to go to Houston (west) so Milwaukee has a hole to fill.  Lopez is somehow automatic from 3 every time we play them