• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Free Agency 06/30 at 6PM

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Question:  How much total payroll can any NBA team have before they hit the maximum before the big tax?  If a team has three of these then I assume their remainder players will all be G League players.

:rtfm:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Question:  How much total payroll can any NBA team have before they hit the maximum before the big tax?  If a team has three of these then I assume their remainder players will all be G League players.

:rtfm:

For this upcoming season, it breaks down as follows:

Salary Cap - $136 mil

Luxury Tax - $165.2 mil

2nd Apron - $182.7 mil

23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

For this upcoming season, it breaks down as follows:

Salary Cap - $136 mil

Luxury Tax - $165.2 mil

2nd Apron - $182.7 mil

So, at $52 mil for the year he's getting way over 25% of the total payroll before they hit that 2nd apron!  

:stirthepot:

• Haha 1

• Moderators

The biggest question for me is why did they allow him to negotiate a trade kicker?  I would have told him to shove that where the sun don't shine.  If we are paying you a supermax and want to trade you then just enjoy your $60M a year or whatever it is at that point.

The player has almost no leverage unless they are willing to take an enormous pay cut and walk.

• Like 2

NBA contracts have officially gone beyond the pale.  These are Jaylen Brown’s career comps 😆

IMG_2963.thumb.jpeg.072420dfb4b5146899f4b8adc844f831.jpeg

Mo Pete is a name I never thought I’d hear again lol.

IMG_2964.thumb.jpeg.e3c84ba407f01ed0eaf58fd11a1d0cdb.jpeg

I’d arguably take Mirotic over this cat.  Porzingis should be ashamed he’s on this list.

What kinda talent evaluators does Boston have?  Career .101 WS/48 that drops to .097 in the playoffs?!?!  Dame’s extensions was absolutely nuts but the Blazers are clueless and always talent-starved.  I’ll never wrap my head around this one.  The Celtics fanbase, as suspect as they’ve been known to be, are gonna torment this kid for the life of this deal smh.

Edited by benhillboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Knicks seem to be emphasizing good but not great players and depth much more than I ever remember them doing.  Hart seems like a guy that Thibs loves but maybe not someone that the next coach would make a priority.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Knicks seem to be emphasizing good but not great players and depth much more than I ever remember them doing.  Hart seems like a guy that Thibs loves but maybe not someone that the next coach would make a priority.

Mmhmm, yep.  So we're in agreement then?  Nix are settlin' nicely into that treadmill-y gap that teams like IND, DET, and others used to occupy?

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nix are settlin' nicely into that treadmill-y gap that teams like IND, DET, and others used to occupy?

Historically I'd agree with you but they might do really well under the new CBA in the coming years.  I hope they don't, but they might.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Mmhmm, yep.  So we're in agreement then?  Nix are settlin' nicely into that treadmill-y gap that teams like IND, DET, and others used to occupy?

Yeah but we seem in a period of the NBA now where an injury to a teams #1 or #2 guy opens the door for these teams to get to the finals.  Neither the Celtics or Heat were the type of teams i thought would get to the finals if you asked me 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Historically I'd agree with you but they might do really well under the new CBA in the coming years.  I hope they don't, but they might.

Based on what tho?  I don't expect them to do better this coming year and I expect some turmoil around Randle and his general weirdness.  Will they stick with Thibs if he finishes lower than prior years?  If not, they're in for more uncertainty. 

And, next time, don't fight the feeling.  Just agree with kg, jeffy.  🙂

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The comparison to certain Indy teams feels right to me.  I'm not sure I remember a Detroit team that would really fit the bill for quite a while.  I expect the Knicks to be consistently in the mix for the playoffs but perhaps rarely advancing past the first round.  The last time Detroit consistently was in the playoff mix was when they were making the finals.