• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJ or JJ

Spud2nique

AJ or JJ?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. AJ or JJ?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/04/2023 at 10:37 PM

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, shakes said:

JJ for sure.   Much more versatile and much higher ceiling.     

I really like JJ's court vision and passing ability.  So i agree that makes his ceiling very high.   But what is his hopeful comparison?  I hear some mention Josh Smith (the good Josh).  

• Thanks 1

When AJ’s shot isn’t falling he is not impacting the game as much.

JJ is bigger, faster, more versatile defensively, a better playmaker and plays a position of need for us. He is more of a unicorn in his rare combination of skills. 

JJ by a mile, it’s not tough.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

JJ is bigger, faster, more versatile defensively, a better playmaker and plays a position of need for us. He is more of a unicorn in his rare combination of skills. 

Just playing devil's advocate but most of these things have yet to be proven that he can do them as an NBA starter.  We've seen flashes for sure.  Whereas elite shooting will keep you in the league and playing for a long time.  

I agree though that JJ's playmaking could be what turns him into a great player.   Got to show defensive ability and shooting though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

F E E L 

AJ>JJ

• Moderators

AJ came out of the gate so hot that i think we are discounting him a little because he kind of hit a wall.   But as one of the youngest players in the league his shooting splits are really unreal and he averaged 20 minutes a game as a rookie.  46% overall split evenly between 2s/3s.  39% from 3 and 90% from the line.  These are Klay Thompson type rookie numbers only at 19 years old instead of 21.  (few fga though).    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Spud2nique gonna hate this 🤓

Ranking Atlanta's 3 Most Promising Prospects

1. Onyeka Okongwu
Opportunity seems to be the only thing standing in the way of a full-fledged breakout for Okongwu, and it might be knocking soon with Clint Capela on the trade block. Save for an outside jumper, Okongwu has just about everything you'd want in a modern big. He is immensely switchable on defense and reliable around the rim. This past season, he tallied the 10th-most blocks (107) and sixth-best field-goal percentage (63.8).

2. Jalen Johnson
Johnson needs to accelerate his development to justify this ranking, but I'm comfortable betting on his tools and talent, especially with power forward minutes readily available after the John Collins deal. Johnson is an explosive athlete with intriguing off-the-dribble abilities for a 6'9", 220-pounder.

3. AJ Griffin
Kobe Bufkin and Saddiq Bey have arguments for this spot, but Griffin arguably offers the best blend of floor and ceiling. He is a knockdown shooter from distance—he shot 39 percent from range as a rookie—and he can zip around close-outs then finish in myriad ways off the bounce.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083093-ranking-every-nba-teams-3-most-promising-prospects

@Spud2nique

Maybe he didn't see it.  Should I @-mention him again?

@Spud2nique

Wake up, bro!

😎

(He's gonna kill me, isn't he?)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Onyeka Okongwu
Opportunity seems to be the only thing standing in the way of a full-fledged breakout for Okongwu, and it might be knocking soon with Clint Capela on the trade block. Save for an outside jumper, Okongwu has just about everything you'd want in a modern big. He is immensely switchable on defense and reliable around the rim. This past season, he tallied the 10th-most blocks (107) and sixth-best field-goal percentage (63.8).

2. Jalen Johnson
Johnson needs to accelerate his development to justify this ranking, but I'm comfortable betting on his tools and talent, especially with power forward minutes readily available after the John Collins deal. Johnson is an explosive athlete with intriguing off-the-dribble abilities for a 6'9", 220-pounder.

3. AJ Griffin
Kobe Bufkin and Saddiq Bey have arguments for this spot, but Griffin arguably offers the best blend of floor and ceiling. He is a knockdown shooter from distance—he shot 39 percent from range as a rookie—and he can zip around close-outs then finish in myriad ways off the bounce.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083093-ranking-every-nba-teams-3-most-promising-prospects

image.gif.dd9756278001f03452f5b2d97a988989.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Onyeka Okongwu

2. Jalen Johnson

3. AJ Griffin

I'll say something controversial here:

If (and its a reasonably big if), JJ gets 30 minutes/game, he'll lead the Hawks in blocks and finish top 2 on the Hawks in steals.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I want this bet. @AHF let me at 🏕️. Gimme gimme gimme.

I’ll take this bet too.

Don't you already owe your avatar to somebody?

Man, you gonna be wearing lost-bet avatars for the next 3 years if you take these bets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Don't you already owe your avatar to somebody?

Man, you gonna be wearing lost-bet avatars for the next 3 years if you take these bets. 

Listen you lil JJ lover and everyone else jinxer (Zion, Ja), I’m takin this bet if 🏕️ got the cohones for it 🥜.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

I'll say something controversial here:

If (and its a reasonably big if), JJ gets 30 minutes/game, he'll lead the Hawks in blocks and finish top 2 on the Hawks in steals.

I'm going to agree with Spud and say that is crazy talk.  

JJ blocked 2.9% of opposing attempts last year.  OO blocked 4.9% and finished top 10 in the NBA.  But you think JJ will finish with more blocks than OO?  

OO averaged 1.3 blocks per game last season.  JJ averaged 14.9 MPG so if you double his production of 0.5 BPG (assuming 30 mpg) and add on a 10% increase to boot just for kicks that still only gets you to 1.1 bpg which would have finished behind both Cap and OO.  

For this scenario to play out, JJ would not only have to double his minutes per game, he would have to see a massive increase in blocks per minute on top of that, and see one or both of OO underperforming or OO getting his minutes cut.  Just not a very plausible scenario for me.

(FWIW, double Jalen's steal numbers also leaves him behind both DM and Trae but at least that is closer.)

• Thanks 1