• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Hawks Media Day OCT 2ND/Training Camp/Pre-Season

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

On the eve of the their first exhibition game, the Hawks held their annual open practice.

Fans got to see how coach Quin Snyder would run the beginning of his practices, as well as a few treats throughout the night. This year did not have a five-on-five scrimmages that came with open practices of the past but they got the chance to see how the team has gelled since they opened training camp last week Tuesday.

Other observations from the open practice:

-- Snyder has kept the team’s various lineups and combinations close to his vest as he evaluates players in camp. But in a couple of drills, he ran a few combinations that could be seen throughout the season.

It kicked off with third-year forward Jalen Johnson running with the core starters of Trae Young, Dejounte Murray, De’Andre Hunter and Clint Capela. Johnson, along with fourth-year forward Saddiq Bey, are expected to compete for the open starting position at power forward.

Snyder also ran a combination including rookie guard Kobe Bufkin, Patty Mills, Bey, Onyeka Okongwu.

-- The Hawks have encouraged Okongwu to take shots from the perimeter and continue to improve from distance. But with Snyder emphasizing spacing, Capela has also worked on his jumper.

As the Hawks went through shooting drills in their open practice, Capela hit shots not only from the left corner but from above the break as well as the sideline.

During the drill, Snyder made sure to give Capela a shoutout for hitting at least four or five consecutive shots from deep.

“Well, if he’s shooting 75%, like every time I turned around, he was making them,” Snyder joked. “It was fun.”

There is no immediate plan to have Capela to take those shots more but the drill helps the team to simulate situations, particularly those in transition so that they know a shot is coming.

-- The Hawks face the Cavaliers on Tuesday in their first of five exhibition games before they take on the regular season. With four games over the next seven days, Snyder said that some members of the roster who haven’t practiced won’t play on Tuesday. He added that it would give the Hawks coaching staff a chance to experiment so that they can have those combinations on film.

“A lot of it becomes a question of whether, with as many games as we have, there’ll be games with guys won’t play,” Snyder said. “You know, it just doesn’t make sense from a fatigue standpoint, and that that also gives us a chance to see some different lineups together.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate to be a downer, but nothing this team does, as far as practices, NBA runs, etc., before the season excites me anymore.   They are going to have to prove it on the court this year.  In year's past, I was all excited about everything with the offseason.  After last year's full season of mediocrity, I'm expecting a 41-41 season until they prove otherwise. 

I want to see this team hungry and playing hard on both sides of the ball from the start to end of the season to get a top seed. Hopefully, Quinn can be a big help with consistency this upcoming season.

I am ready for the preseason game though. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I hate to be a downer, but nothing this team does, as far as practices, NBA runs, etc., before the season excites me anymore.   They are going to have to prove it on the court this year.  In year's past, I was all excited about everything with the offseason.  After last year's full season of mediocrity, I'm expecting a 41-41 season until they prove otherwise. 

I want to see this team hungry and playing hard on both sides of the ball from the start to end of the season to get a top seed. Hopefully, Quinn can be a big help with consistency this upcoming season.

I hear ya.  And I'm not sure I disagree with the show me attitude regarding the mediocrity in season.  But I'm still amped up for the season to start.  I haven't seen the Hawks play in five months so I'm ready.  Win, lose, or suck, it's still the Atlanta Hawks runnin in the A.  At least to me anyway.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I hear ya.  And I'm not sure I disagree with the show me attitude regarding the mediocrity in season.  But I'm still amped up for the season to start.  I haven't seen the Hawks play in five months so I'm ready.  Win, lose, or suck, it's still the Atlanta Hawks runnin in the A.  At least to me anyway.  

Oh yeah, I'm ready for the season. Just not excited by the workouts, the over exaggerated improvements such and such has made all for them to end up in the playing.

I'm at the point where talknis cheap and you got to show me you want it as bad as I want it for you.

It’s always great to have Hawks basketball as an entertainment but yes, we didn’t really improve from a talent perspective.

will schemes improve defense? I dunno. 

there’s your yearly preview.. we don’t need a Brad Rowland podcast for it

Edited by theheroatl

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

I am exciting by the reports I've received directly. Usually, it's not that positive 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

What are you hearing? 

I've shared everything with you guys. Just the updates and the roles as well as full buy-in from the players. 

This team could get 1st in the East, maybe even win the in season tournament. Unlikely to win a finals or get to the Finals but we can have a great year with the full buy-in

• Thanks 1