• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Appreciate the update.  If we can get a quality young guy or a guy on a good contract + 2 real firsts, I'll be happy.  That's a good haul for  DJ.  I have to assume the picks would be for a consolidation trade in the offseason, if a player becomes available.  Trae might ask out this offseason as you say, but if he does, we will hold all the cards in negotiations.  He is not an expiring.  He'll have two years left on his deal and we would be able to get quality players for him and/or a huge haul of picks.

I personally think he has zero leverage to do such a thing and would have to wait until the '25 offseason to ask out, if he wants to take that route.  That would allow us to try to compete next year.  And tbh Trae's next contract, assuming he wants the supermax again, is going to be very very prohibitive to team building.  Having a one way player that is not terribly efficient shooting on a 35% max is probably a nonstarter for a contender anyways.  But I'll be very sad if that's how things play out because I enjoy watching Trae when he's in the zone.

How in the world do you think we would compete next year in this tank commander scenario where the team is expressly not trying to add another big talent?  Maybe there is a disconnect here but aim hearing the team will take $.70 on the dollar to shed payroll and wants to do more dump trades with other starters.  I hope this is not the case but I can’t even conceive of what a deal like Grimes + Knicks 24 first + Knicks lottery protected 26 could do for us that ends up with us competing in the near term.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, terrell said:

We arent relevant now..... Just sayin

We’ve been a playoff team several years running.  That is way more relevant than the Pistons future I’m staring at right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I’m just going to wait and see what happens before renouncing my fandom lol

Ressler doesn’t want to pay the tax so safe to assume he cares about his money. I’m sure he’s aware of the financial consequences on this franchise if its superstar walks out the door.

This is the source of any hope I’m feeling right now.  The trade for a young role player and a crappy first round pick or two deals we’ve seen floated are the equivalent of shoving Trae out the door.  And that will cost the team a lot in terms of attendance.  Surely they care about that, right?  Even if they don’t give a **** about winning they have to see they are driving the car into the ditch and course correct right?  We need to change direction but there is turning onto a different road and there is pulling into a trash compactor.  They can’t be this dumb right?  Right?  

27 minutes ago, JTB said:

Blank is going to kill the falcons fan base solely by hiring Belicheck!

I hope he doesn’t do it but hiring belicheck is like hiring Saban in Auburn….something that should not and would not ever happen.

How embarrassing Atlanta Falcons and Hawks are so bad! Can’t catch a damn break. 

not to get on a falcons topic but I will say this last piece and not post anything else about the falcons….it really pissed me off the last press conference where blank and McKay was talking about some statistic shows falcons have top 5 attendance!…seriously! I go to those games I don’t believe the fans show up at all. The rumor is fans are walking around the stadium and not in their seats like the Georgia dome but I call bs on it. Falcons been trash since 28-3…we been  cursed and doomed ever since.

meanwhile the guy who really took us to the SB and lost it for us is back in nfc championship again with the 49ers. Blank & McKay was too stupid to realize who was the true brains behind that great run.

😡

Speak for yaself my man quite a few of us in Atlanta quite like the Belichick idea if we can't get Harbaugh and BB can bring in McDaniels as OC.   BB is #2 on the voting poll behind Harbaugh in who the fans want on the Falcons website lol.      The one thing i hope we do is stay away from Fields at QB though no matter who the HC ends up being.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The rumbling that a Belicheck hire comes with removing Terry Fontenot is what pisses me off the most. The GM has done a phenomenal job navigating Dimitroff's cap hell and rebuilding a roster with talent. The coach failed, but TF never had a say in that hire, and then you let a coaching candidate determine his future? And you potentially lose a respected young GM who did everything you asked of him because BB wants full control? No way, Jose. The first black GM in team history gets treated like this, in a city like Atlanta, and you think the fans are going to rock with it? 

Definition of tone def. Falcons are trash if they push Fontenot out the door for Belicheck. 

I'm with ya on this one, Red.  That's my greatest fear about a BB hiring as well.  I think TF has done a great job so far, and am really excited to see what another coach can do with the roster he has assembled.  I don't mind having BB as coach if that means TF stays and can still do his job, but I'm really worried that Blank is gonna give BB whatever he wants in order to lure him to the team.  I have no doubt we'll end up in the mud like the current iteration of the Patriots if BB assumes personnel control.  But a BB-coached team with TF as the true GM could end up being really damn strong. **fingers crossed**

Edited by Phunkabilly
  • Like 2

Sothron, I very much understand the chain of events if you are Trae... but if Ressler gets the sense that Trae might walk, I think he might look to sell the team before that happens if it is something he is eyeing to do in general. It would be a good exit point relative to a huge rebuild and Trae puts butts in the seats.

And hopefully, with Ressler selling the team, it could be enough to keep Trae on and blame the team building issues on Ressler (which isn't too far fetched from a LT perspective). 

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, ryandauwalker said:

Sothron, I very much understand the chain of events if you are Trae... but if Ressler gets the sense that Trae might walk, I think he might look to sell the team before that happens if it is something he is eyeing to do in general. It would be a good exit point relative to a huge rebuild and Trae puts butts in the seats.

And hopefully, with Ressler selling the team, it could be enough to keep Trae on and blame the team building issues on Ressler (which isn't too far fetched from a LT perspective). 

Why would Trae stay through a rebuild and a new ownership?  I think Players like stability.  Plus, we don't know what Role Klutch plays. 

Here's an interesting thought. 

What if we started this road to peril... and Ressler wants to sell and get out...   And Lebron bought the team as the majority owner.  Conditions of he sale would be that he would have to retire... And he did so.  Would you like the Hawks any more?

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Sothron said:

Update:

Team is looking for two firsts and either a quality young player, a player on a team friendly deal ie cheap or expiring contract(s) for DJM.

Team is trying hard to attach Capela and/or Hunter to  DJ in a trade. Team is trying to shed salary (heard this one before?) and recoup draft assets for what they gave up to get Murray.

Idea has shifted from getting a second star player either now or in the offseason to this goal. If no deal is there that satisfices above wants at the deadline expect it to happen in the offseason when teams are more flexible in trade offers. 

End "insider" non neutral commentary and just the facts approach to what I was told by sources.

Soth's thoughts: if this happens this is the precursor to the inevitable Trae trade demand and eventual Trae sweepstakes trade. When a team switches from trying to put a second star next to its 25 year old superstar to get cheap/pick up firsts that is how a rebuild starts. 

I don't like being the bringer of bad news but trading DJ for that kind of return makes the rebuild a necessity. Trae is not sticking around in his prime years on a team that isn't serious about being a contender.

Question: which occurred first?

1. Quin wanting to blow up the team and rebuild around Trae and JJ

2. DJ asking out

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Trae is demanding  a trade. But if the team moves players for just saving Ressler money and firsts for cheap rookie contracts...where else does that leave Trae? Why would he want to stick around for that?

It was intentional for Trae to mention he likes the Spurs and Wemby. I could easily see the Spurs sending a package of picks including our own to get Trae at some point.

I been trying to tell them this lol. Always seems like the plan has been to rebuild 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sothron said:

Update:

Team is looking for two firsts and either a quality young player, a player on a team friendly deal ie cheap or expiring contract(s) for DJM.

Team is trying hard to attach Capela and/or Hunter to  DJ in a trade. Team is trying to shed salary (heard this one before?) and recoup draft assets for what they gave up to get Murray.

Idea has shifted from getting a second star player either now or in the offseason to this goal. If no deal is there that satisfices above wants at the deadline expect it to happen in the offseason when teams are more flexible in trade offers. 

End "insider" non neutral commentary and just the facts approach to what I was told by sources.

Soth's thoughts: if this happens this is the precursor to the inevitable Trae trade demand and eventual Trae sweepstakes trade. When a team switches from trying to put a second star next to its 25 year old superstar to get cheap/pick up firsts that is how a rebuild starts. 

I don't like being the bringer of bad news but trading DJ for that kind of return makes the rebuild a necessity. Trae is not sticking around in his prime years on a team that isn't serious about being a contender.

Nope there no rebuilding happening and Trae stays. The end. I SAID THE END SOTH! Thanks 🙏🏿 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

I can only tell you what my sources are saying.

Tell your sources Spud said y’all are stupid AF and you know NOOOOOOOOOOTHING…. That’s it. No Trae isn’t leaving I don’t care if you heard it from a talking cat 🐈 on the street it’s false.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

I don't want that to happen either but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how moving our best asset not named Trae for a deal like that is going to work out.

You don’t know what we are trying to move him for though. You assume draft picks but nobody knows. 

9 hours ago, Threezus said:

Speak for yaself my man quite a few of us in Atlanta quite like the Belichick idea if we can't get Harbaugh and BB can bring in McDaniels as OC.   BB is #2 on the voting poll behind Harbaugh in who the fans want on the Falcons website lol.      The one thing i hope we do is stay away from Fields at QB though no matter who the HC ends up being.

+1 for actually spelling it right lol

• Like 1

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I been trying to tell them this lol. Always seems like the plan has been to rebuild 

It doesn't stop it from being an incredibly stupid plan.  A team in our position that doesn't own it picks for the next 3 years and has some good young talent is not well positioned to do a tear down rebuild.  We are much better positioned to try to do a Minnesota or something where we hang in mediocrity and change the pieces and look for a big add to make.  

I'm not saying that you guys aren't hearing this from someone.  I'm saying that our FO is going to make a lot of Hawks fans furious if they pursue this plan and that the odds of us being back in the playoffs in the next 4 years are very low if a tear down and tank path is the way they go.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

According to Chris Haynes:

-Feels strongly that Murray moves before the deadline.

-The Hawks want two firsts AND a quality player in any Murray deal.

-The Bucks are interested, but would need some help facilitating a deal.

-Lakers are intersted, but the Hawks don't want D. Russell.

Mostly stuff we've heard before, but what is the Hawks' definition of a "quality" player?  My guess is still the Knicks or maybe the Nets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Mostly stuff we've heard before, but what is the Hawks' definition of a "quality" player?

That is the most important question as far as where we go from here.  I'm not optimistic if the requirement is to attach two first round picks although something like the NY 2024 first round pick isn't particularly valuable so maybe that still leaves enough to get what fans would agree is a quality player back if the picks are expected to be late first rounders.  (How much difference is there between the #25 pick and #32 pick?)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, AHF said:

It doesn't stop it from being an incredibly stupid plan.  A team in our position that doesn't own it picks for the next 3 years and has some good young talent is not well positioned to do a tear down rebuild.  We are much better positioned to try to do a Minnesota or something where we hang in mediocrity and change the pieces and look for a big add to make.  

I'm not saying that you guys aren't hearing this from someone.  I'm saying that our FO is going to make a lot of Hawks fans furious if they pursue this plan and that the odds of us being back in the playoffs in the next 4 years are very low if a tear down and tank path is the way they go.

The options for where Trae is going are very limited. San Antonio to get our picks back is a top the list. They get the picks back then they are prime to rebuild. I know some fans won't like that but trae value isn't like these other packages people have gotten. They might get more from the spurs but they aren't get 5 picks and young talent type deal. 

• Like 1