• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

First serious update post lottery:

Team's draft board before the lottery drawing was the two French kids and Clingan in that order. Obviously no one in the FO seriously thought we would win the lottery with such poor odds.

When Landry in his post drawing media spot said he wasn't even thinking about a trade, just focusing on homework on the pick, that was not GM talk. It was real. Multiple teams in the NBA have called or reached out just to offer congrats to our FO because of the historic nature of the Hawks *finally* winning the lottery.

The workouts and team interviews are going to play a huge role in who they finally select at #1. I was told that unless another team blows them away the Hawks are absolutely keeping the pick. Both Resslers feel this is "manna from Heaven" to fix the roster and keep Trae's interest in staying here. 

All the top prospects are so close together I was told one really strong interview or work out could be the deciding factor on who they select. The "Hawks DNA" will be used extensively to describe what the team is looking for in the draft. This source suspects both UCONN players are going to really impress the FO but the raw potential of both French kids is hard to overlook.

The FO is praying/hoping that the other Ressler doesn't stick his nose into the pick. The first ever #1 pick that will actually play with the Hawks (screw you David Thompson btw) is a huge deal. The fear is whoever Tony wants will be the de facto pick regardless of what the FO decides. 

This does affect potential trade scenarios. If for instance Zach is the #1 pick the team will be less likely to trade for BI. If we take Sarr or Clingan then the need for a center will be less likely. Source feels as we get closer to the draft and the natural mania/hysteria over potential picks might get some serious trade talks brewing from sources we didn't expect before. And no, this source would not provide team names even when prompted.

To me, this decision and Trae/Murray situation will be the most important decisions in Atlanta Hawks history because this can affect this team for years to come and many heads will roll including Ressler as well.  Him and his son does not need to be involved in this at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

While he can help anyone defensively even then, he's not much of a post defender, struggles badly in drop coverage and is a poor paint protector.  

Put him on the floor with Trae and his value on both ends goes down to the sink of the ocean. 

We just need to develop the kid and ship him to CP, asap if we took him. 

Gueye got more upside as a 5 and he has no upside as a 5. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Ya'll love setting yourself up for this. I've watched the full games, he's the problem bro. His screens are shit. Doesn't like contact. Doesn't roll strong either nor does he have PnR IQ. He's literally just a lob threat. 

I am out on him if the idea is him as a 5. He will bust extremely fast. 

We'll have to wait and see, but you've listed your concerns so I'll keep an eye out.

3 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Bro... You need to calm yourself..

You can teach fundamentals..

You can't teach athleticism.

Clingan and Edey will always fall in the Valanciunas and Bogut category. Hawks don't need that right now. They need athletic rim protection and wing defense.

Lmao, ya'll really think everything is teachable. If its teachable, draft Clingan who's good at every thing we need now and develop him. This teachable bullshit is only used for players you like 

This fools think screening is easy. Nothing irks me more than you guys and your bullshit. When it don't work, you want to blame the coaches. The coaches can't turn shit into gold. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

While he can help anyone defensively even then, he's not much of a post defender, struggles badly in drop coverage and is a poor paint protector.  

Put him on the floor with Trae and his value on both ends goes down to the sink of the ocean. 

The last statement (re: Gueye) just diminishes the rest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Damion Jones and/or Gueye > Sarr as a 5 in the NBA is WILD Supes

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I personally could give a damn about "Hawks DNA".  That proved absolutely nothing last season.

I don't want to hear any cute catch phrases from Landry or Quin.   Play the correct guys to get some chemistry on this team.

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What exactly is 'Hawks DNA' though?

It's what Landry described it as.  Guys that are tough, work hard, have good attitudes, focus on improvement, getting better, contribute to a good culture... he wants guys like Saddiq Bey and Kobe Bufkin.

You guys both clowned Landry for preaching "Hawks DNA" and then being excited when he got his guy last year in Kobe, but Kobe has been an absolute joy to watch play -- you guys see exactly why Landry loves him.  He stays focused, locked in, puts in the work developing and has a mindset of constant improvement.  You can dismiss that away and say "pick the talent" but then you risk ending up with a bum like Ayton instead of a generational player like Luka.  Or you end up with a guy like Reddish instead of Nickeil Alexander-Walker.  Being able to decipher those guys who have just talent versus the ones that are going to put the work in is what makes a great GM versus a mediocre one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hawkish said:

The last statement (re: Gueye) just diminishes the rest.

To me, we got Gueye who has a lot of potential. While Sarr got a lot more potential than Gueye. They both raw and will take time. At least Gueye is a big and can do big man shit. Give me Clingan. He will never be an superstar but I know we become a much better team. Sarr got exceptional bust potential and I am not convinced we will take our time with him and use him correctly. 

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Lmao, ya'll really think everything is teachable. If its teachable, draft Clingan who's good at every thing we need now and develop him. This teachable bullshit is only used for players you like 

Supers,

While watching Clingan's performances on YouTube during the tournament, it seems he's the kind of player who positions himself in the post or the lane. Currently, that's not what we need. In today's NBA, big men like Wemby, KAT, KP, and even Al can draw him out of the post and dominate with their shooting or self-creation skills. Don't misunderstand; I appreciate Clingan's game, but we require a mobile 4/5 who can defend the perimeter, recover quickly, and also protect the lane and post effectively.

2 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Damion Jones and/or Gueye > Sarr as a 5 in the NBA is WILD Supes

Offensively, yeah. Defensively, hell no. The minute Sarr plays a min without Trae on the floor, he's a top 25 defensive player in the league right now. His defensive floor is off the charts. The problem is Trae. Sarr strengths can't cover for Trae's weakness. 

Sarr is an exceptional defender right now. 

1 minute ago, NekiEcko said:

Supers,

While watching Clingan's performances on YouTube during the tournament, it seems he's the kind of player who positions himself in the post or the lane. Currently, that's not what we need. In today's NBA, big men like Wemby, KAT, KP, and even Al can draw him out of the post and dominate with their shooting or self-creation skills. Don't misunderstand; I appreciate Clingan's game, but we require a mobile 4/5 who can defend the perimeter, recover quickly, and also protect the lane and post effectively.

Ya'll don't realize this but you gotta have an inside game as a big to really be effective like the names you mentioned. Sarr is terrible offensively as a big. He's promising as a perimeter player but he's raw at this time. 

I know what the ideal looks like and they are all exceptional in the paint. Just imagine a player in 2k with bad interior game and he raw at everything on the perimeter. That's Sarr. 

Ja Morant would be fine defensively for Sarr. He's good defensively off the ball. He just sucks on the ball and he's horrendous at PnR defense. Sarr can cover for that but he can't cover for Trae's and he would have to play drop coverage which would be a major weakness for him in the NBA. Trae and him will be a catastrophic fit as a 1/5. 1/3 is fine. If he can shoot the C&S well, he can work with Trae with no issues. If anything, he helps Trae with perimeter switching 

37 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This is why we need him. No one in this draft is a perfect fit, but if we get someone who can be a point of attack defender, I don't really care about their offense while they develop.  Trae will take care of that.  

A big frontcourt point of attack defender at that.

• Like 4