• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

For the most part, I see rationale, and some of the people I don’t normally see rationale from. I think it’s fair to have disagreements about a player and how do you think they might turn out. But this is a unique chance for the Atlanta Hawks to finally do something that’s gonna change the fortunes of this organization.

Now Supes, I’m not going to knock you for your opinion or way you go about talking to people, that’s all on you. We all stand on business.  Sarr is the guy (unless..), if we're all wrong, fk it.  Let's brawl!

IMB_20190425012557_iUXW.gif

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

So where do we stand now on the BI/Daniels/#21 for DJM and Clint deal?  Could that still happen?  Would the Hawks be more or less likely to include OO now?  

Would y'all like a roster that looks something like this:

Trae/Daniels/BI/JJ/OO

Kobe/Bogi/Hunter/Mo/Sarr

Vit/AJ/ 21 and vets

Guards: Trae / Daniels / Kobe / Bogi / Vit  

Wings:  BI / Hunter / AJ / Bogi / Vit / Vet

Bigs:  JJ / OO / Mo / Sarr / Ware at 21? / Vets

I like the versatility of this, but would want a quality back up big vet as well.  

You kept Murray and Trade Trae.  Trae is not gonna want to give up the spotlight.  Murray, Ingram, Sarr, Johnson.  Thats winning the East right there.  TEAM comes first.

Edited by Hawkmoor

11 minutes ago, deester11 said:

For the most part, I see rationale, and some of the people I don’t normally see rationale from. I think it’s fair to have disagreements about a player and how do you think they might turn out. But this is a unique chance for the Atlanta Hawks to finally do something that’s gonna change the fortunes of this organization.

Now Supes, I’m not going to knock you for your opinion or way you go about talking to people, that’s all on you. We all stand on business.  Sarr is the guy (unless..), if we're all wrong, fk it.  Let's brawl!

IMB_20190425012557_iUXW.gif

Ngl, I feel like spider monkey-ing a couple posters rn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

There is only one thing that can get me from 1-100 and it's the Atlanta Hawks. 

Nothing else. Even my wife will easily confirm that. 

This is the only product that can piss me off for days. Nothing else. I am even kneel as can be but with this organization. If you catch me at the wrong time, you could get the beats. And they don't ever get it right. That's what drives me crazy. Football is my favorite sport and the Falcons don't get me pissed anywhere near as much, ever. I can drop them like a bad habit. These Hawks are like a bad patch of crack and I am addicted to this garbage

I actualy feel the same way. I'm a nice guy, trying to put modesty aside, but I am a die hard basketball lifer and my heart belongs to the Hawks but all they do is screw up and break it. I get that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I actualy feel the same way. I'm a nice guy, trying to put modesty aside, but I am a die hard basketball lifer and my heart belongs to the Hawks but all they do is screw up and break it. I get that.

Have you commented yet on your intel with the BI trade now that the Hawks have the No 1 pick?  Is that still on the table?  Does the pick change the thought process?  Sorry if I've missed it.  

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Hurt so much man. It really hurts 

Why can't we keep nice things

Edited by NBASupes
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
Just now, REHawksFan said:

Have you commented yet on your intel with the BI trade now that the Hawks have the No 1 pick?  Is that still on the table?  Does the pick change the thought process?  Sorry if I've missed it.  

I can't imagine the FO has decided on a clear direction given they just learned we got the number 1 pick, same time as we did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

You kept Murray and Trade Trae.  Trae is not gonna want to give up the spotlight.  Murray, Ingram, Sarr, Johnson.  Thats winning the East right there.  TEAM comes first.

Actually, I would rather trade both and start anew.

I have to agree with Supers on this, due to two questions my friend from the Pacific Northwest asked me yesterday, which really resonated with me.

1. Even with the first pick, will the Hawks be a play-in team or a deep playoff run team next year, even with all of the changes?

2. If you are Trae or Murray and you're aware that the next three drafts are beyond our control, hoping that any pick we receive from other teams will succeed (considering Memphis and Houston are improving, and there's no certainty that the Kings will maintain a playoff spot in the Western Conference), and you're limited by the second apron, so you can't acquire anyone except through trades, and your owner won't pay the luxury tax for a better team. If you aim to win, would you be willing to stay on a mediocre team or move elsewhere to potentially get closer?

The last scenario you want is for Trae to decline his player option in two years, become a free agent, and for us to end up with nothing.

**Dial F for Brooklyn Nets right now, they are just keep giving gifts that keep on giving, the haul they gave C's and now Harden trade.**

Edited by NekiEcko

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

He said the opposite in his exit presser. 
That he’s ok with not being the best player on the team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

I probably need to put my updates out of this thread and back into the insider one, sorry.

I did comment on this before. Basically in short winning the lottery was nowhere near the team's radar. It has definitely changed offseason plans. The emphasis on scouting has obviously went up to make sure they make the right pick. There is real talk about the direction of the franchise because...I truly don't want to upset people but I have to be honest.

There's real talk about sending Trae to the Spurs for their picks in this draft plus our picks back. I do not know how likely it is. Our FO has went from thinking a BI trade and a "rotation player" at 10 was the most likely outcome this summer and Trae would still be here. Now there's real talk about how do they think this core team even with the #1 pick can really contend (also be worthy of paying the LT for) or do you pull the plug and start a true 100% rebuild with Sarr being the face of the rebuild.

If that were to happen, and again I am not advocating for it or saying it will happen, then there would be absolutely no reason to trade Murray for BI. If anything it would be more likely to keep Murray at PG and have him be the veteran leader of a rebuild around him.

If they decide to keep the pick and not rebuild then I imagine based on what I've heard before the lottery selection show and after it that the plan would be take Sarr at 1, keep Trae, flip DJM for BI and your team next year would look like:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

BI/Hunter

JJ/Gueye

Sarr/whoever they keep between Capela or OO

Add in that above roster probably Dyson Daniels as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You and hotSupes need to hug it out. 

2 minutes ago, aali34 said:

He said the opposite in his exit presser. 
That he’s ok with not being the best player on the team. 

Thanks.  Folks here talking for him and literally ignoring his own words .... since they dont support their agendas. 

3 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

1. Even with the first pick, will the Hawks be a play-in team or a deep playoff run team next year?

This is the absolute wrong way to even think about this.  The draft pick was never going to be a player that put this current team over the top.  I'm not sure why you are even asking that questions.  Or why your friend did.  It's nonsensical.  

4 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

2. If you are Trae or Murray and you're aware that the next three drafts are beyond our control, hoping that any pick we receive from other teams will succeed (considering Memphis and Houston are improving, and there's no certainty that the Kings will maintain a playoff spot in the Western Conference), and you're limited by the second apron, so you can't acquire anyone except through trades, and your owner won't pay the luxury tax for a better team. If you aim to win, would you be willing to stay on a mediocre team or move elsewhere to potentially get closer?

Again, unless you are drafting generational players, you aren't jumping from mid to contender with draft picks.  That's not even remotely reasonable or realistic.  Secondly, there's an awful lot of supposition in that question.  You don't know we are limited by the 2nd apron.  You don't know the owner won't pay the luxury tax (and if he won't, how are we limited by the 2nd apron exactly?) You are literally citing opinion as the factual basis for setting up a question.  Hugely biased.  

4 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

The last scenario you want is for Trae to decline his player option in two years, become a free agent, and for us to end up with nothing.

So you are suggesting we trade Trae now because we are afraid of a decision he may or may not make IN TWO YEARS??  

This whole argument is 100% absurd.  There is no rational thought that leads from getting the number 1 pick in the draft to "blow it up and start over."  This is just crazy talk.  

• Like 3

Murray is going to be the player to watch. He wants to play here but there are 5 teams seeking his services. Atlanta will be able to move from him this summer for a good set of assets but Murray wants to stay but he wants to win. Murray is a loyal dude. I love that guy. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Actually, I would rather trade both and start anew.

I have to agree with Supers on this, due to two questions my friend from the Pacific Northwest asked me yesterday, which really resonated with me.

1. Even with the first pick, will the Hawks be a play-in team or a deep playoff run team next year, even with all of the changes?

If you draft Edey, Clingan, etc.  you will not even be a "play in" team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I probably need to put my updates out of this thread and back into the insider one, sorry.

I did comment on this before. Basically in short winning the lottery was nowhere near the team's radar. It has definitely changed offseason plans. The emphasis on scouting has obviously went up to make sure they make the right pick. There is real talk about the direction of the franchise because...I truly don't want to upset people but I have to be honest.

There's real talk about sending Trae to the Spurs for their picks in this draft plus our picks back. I do not know how likely it is. Our FO has went from thinking a BI trade and a "rotation player" at 10 was the most likely outcome this summer and Trae would still be here. Now there's real talk about how do they think this core team even with the #1 pick can really contend (also be worthy of paying the LT for) or do you pull the plug and start a true 100% rebuild with Sarr being the face of the rebuild.

If that were to happen, and again I am not advocating for it or saying it will happen, then there would be absolutely no reason to trade Murray for BI. If anything it would be more likely to keep Murray at PG and have him be the veteran leader of a rebuild around him.

If they decide to keep the pick and not rebuild then I imagine based on what I've heard before the lottery selection show and after it that the plan would be take Sarr at 1, keep Trae, flip DJM for BI and your team next year would look like:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

BI/Hunter

JJ/Gueye

Sarr/whoever they keep between Capela or OO

Add in that above roster probably Dyson Daniels as well.

Appreciate the response.  These are rocky waters for sure.  But in a good way.  I guess I just can't fathom them believing in Trae +JJ + BI +10th pick as the future of the franchise but then getting the 1st pick and thinking we need to blow it up.  I mean Trae + JJ + BI + 1st pick is better than Trae + JJ + BI + 10th pick.  So that doesn't compute with me.  Not saying you are wrong or anything.  It's just that I don't understand the logic.  Unless they don't actually believe in Trae +JJ as the current core.  If that's the case, then we're in for a long few years.  

EDIT:  I'm obviously rooting for the last scenario.  I'm pretty fired up about the potential of Trae / JJ / BI / Sarr as the future of the franchise.  Add the potential of Kobe / Mo / etc.... and I think we could see a quick bounce back.  Just don't give up on it yet.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 4