• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm aware. You've made that abundantly clear. Hopefully for the Hawks, you'll be waiting for a long while.  

I just want a better team.  I mean the results speak for themselves.

Just now, Wretch said:

This is it right here KG.  We have the #1 pick in the draft and I honestly, we need to make the pick...if for nothing but optics alone.  I believe Sarr is the pick.  Worst case scenario is he absolutely busts and we don't trade him before the potential expires.  No one will blame us for it.  We don't blame teams for making the right pick, even if that pick doesn't pan out.  The heat comes when the right pick is staring you in the face and you gamble.

The Hawks have TWO starting point guards. This isn't even hard.  Trading either Trae or Murray and adding Sarr is not blowing it up or starting over (for anyone who says that).  Some teams don't even have a starting point guard (Pelicans).  The Hawks are in a very good and unexpected position right now.  They play their cards right and they can immediately jump into the conversation in the East.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Wretch said:

....  We don't blame teams for making the right pick, even if that pick doesn't pan out.  The heat comes when the right pick is staring you in the face and you gamble.

"My ears are ringiiiing." -the Failcons 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hawkmoor said:

The Hawks have TWO starting point guards. This isn't even hard.  Trading either Trae or Murray and adding Sarr is not blowing it up or starting over (for anyone who says that).  Some teams don't even have a starting point guard (Pelicans).  The Hawks are in a very good and unexpected position right now.  They play their cards right and they can immediately jump into the conversation in the East.

I gave you a 'confused' emoji because I think I actually agree with this, for the most part.

When was the last time we ... *gulp* .. agreed?

Sign of the apocalypse, hawkmoo.  I'm scared and I know you are too. 

• Haha 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Afro said:

The "Murray over Trae" sentiment on the basis of "well look at the results....." is so weird to me. 

Trae got this team to an ECF. 

They haven't "made" the playoffs(playin) the entire time Murray has been here. 

But Trae gets the blame, and Murray is seen by some as the savior. 

Make that make sense lol. 

Well Murray had a few good weeks.  I like Murray but he's not the player Trae is.  Sarr we don't know what he'll become.  Jalen is exciting but he isn't a go to scorer.   Murray/JJ/Sarr is lottery right now.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

This is the absolute wrong way to even think about this.  The draft pick was never going to be a player that put this current team over the top.  I'm not sure why you are even asking that questions.  Or why your friend did.  It's nonsensical.  

Again, unless you are drafting generational players, you aren't jumping from mid to contender with draft picks.  That's not even remotely reasonable or realistic.  Secondly, there's an awful lot of supposition in that question.  You don't know we are limited by the 2nd apron.  You don't know the owner won't pay the luxury tax (and if he won't, how are we limited by the 2nd apron exactly?) You are literally citing opinion as the factual basis for setting up a question.  Hugely biased.  

So you are suggesting we trade Trae now because we are afraid of a decision he may or may not make IN TWO YEARS??  

This whole argument is 100% absurd.  There is no rational thought that leads from getting the number 1 pick in the draft to "blow it up and start over."  This is just crazy talk.  

I understand and feel the same, but those are indeed the questions being asked.

Even with the first pick, will that elevate the Hawks to a top 6 position, avoiding play-in games? Moreover, post-draft, the team won't control any of their picks for three years, and one wouldn't want a repeat of Brooklyn's scenario, where they gave up the third pick for a player no longer on the team. Additionally, it's risky to rely on the Kings making the Playoffs in the Western Conference, considering the 11th seed was .500 and received the 3rd overall pick, and with Memphis returning to full strength.

Surpassing the second apron is typically for teams expected to reach the second round or conference finals, not for those exiting in the play-in or first round. Furthermore, I lack confidence in Ressler's commitment to this strategy.

I'm not advocating for trading Trae, but if he desires a move, it's crucial the team gains something in return. It's important to remember the team gained nothing when Horford or Millsap departed.

Murray is also 2 years older than Young, so I really don't understand the whole "He should be here before, during, and after the rebuild instead" part of it either. 

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Appreciate the response.  These are rocky waters for sure.  But in a good way.  I guess I just can't fathom them believing in Trae +JJ + BI +10th pick as the future of the franchise but then getting the 1st pick and thinking we need to blow it up.  I mean Trae + JJ + BI + 1st pick is better than Trae + JJ + BI + 10th pick.  So that doesn't compute with me.  Not saying you are wrong or anything.  It's just that I don't understand the logic.  Unless they don't actually believe in Trae +JJ as the current core.  If that's the case, then we're in for a long few years.  

EDIT:  I'm obviously rooting for the last scenario.  I'm pretty fired up about the potential of Trae / JJ / BI / Sarr as the future of the franchise.  Add the potential of Kobe / Mo / etc.... and I think we could see a quick bounce back.  Just don't give up on it yet.  

I agree. If anything Trae+JJ+BI+1 would be a better version of what the original plan was going to be.

I just don't see Ressler trading his cash cow unless Trae asks out.

• Moderators

Posting as a poster:

Lost my draft on this but the short version:

1. Retool:  rebuilding doesn't make sense.  For all the reasons I said in my previous thread on this exact issue, we don't own our picks for the next 3 years so rebuilding would be a terrible idea.  Rebuilds are a mix of hits and busts and should only be pursued when you have the draft capital to sustain several years of hits and busts until you hit enough to find your core.  (Think of Philly with Embiid as the big hit; Okafor, Noel, Fultz, Smith, etc. as the busts; and Simmons and MCW as the mixed results.)  Where we have a great pick this season and aren't likely to be in the lottery for the next 3 years is the opposite position from one where it is a good idea to rebuild.  We have at a minimum an All-Star and a rising stud forward to build around along with the #1 pick.  Retooling is the way to go.  
  2. If you are going to rebuild, get your picks back first.  The idea of trading Trae for the #4 and #8 picks in a year without consensus star talent would be crazy to me.  I've seen the idea thrown out about getting Clingan and Sheppard with those picks.  First, neither is a slam dunk star but also neither is likely to be available at those picks (Clingan likely a top 3 pick and Sheppard a top 7 one).  That would be a huge gamble on a draft class that might end up looking more like 2013 (no All-Star anywhere in the lottery) or 2000 (1 All-Star appearance in the lottery; 1 in the rest of the first round; and 1 in the second round for a draft class with collectively fewer All-Star appearances than DeMarcus Cousins).
  3. Get a core piece with the #1 pick.  There will be someone in this draft that is a core piece.  Don't worry excessively about winning on day 1 with that player.  Trading Trae or DJM should return valuable "win now" pieces who fit better than the two of them do together.  Other changes likely need to happen as well but come back next year with a promising young draft pick to go with a revamped roster that should be good enough to make the play-in or playoffs without them even contributing (and then look for them to contribute on top of that).  This obviously is not a great draft class.  There are past classes where the #4 or #5, etc. picks would be the consensus #1 pick this year.  (Think of 2003 with Bosh at 4 and Wade at 5 or 1998 with Antwan Jamison, Vince Carter, Dirk and Paul Pierce taken in the 4-10 range and how they would look compared to this class.)  So be it.  The #1 pick is still better than the #10-11 pick which is likely where we were going to end up.  Make the most of it.
  • Like 3

Just now, REHawksFan said:

Agreed.  The whole Anthony Bennett thing is what everyone likes to throw out there but he wasn't the popular top pick in the draft.  He wasn't even a top 5 pick in multiple mock drafts leading up to the draft.  The Cavs fell in love with him and outsmarted themselves.  It happens.  But that's what everyone kills teams for.  Not taking the consensus or near consensus top pick and then it not working out.  

Let's say they drafted the player everyone had at #1, Nerlens Noel who is getting comps to Sarr. Would that be any better. It would be worse. At least Bennett sucked and was gone instantly. Noel would have stuck for potential reasons 

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Well Murray had a few good weeks.  I like Murray but he's not the player Trae is.  Sarr we don't know what he'll become.  Jalen is exciting but he isn't a go to scorer.   Murray/JJ/Sarr is lottery right now.  

It just seems like peak Atlanta sports syndrome. 

Run the star out of town for the very clearly lesser talent(not a knock on DJM) just because. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

I gave you a 'confused' emoji because I think I actually agree with this, for the most part.

When was the last time we ... *gulp* .. agreed?

Sign of the apocalypse, hawkmoo.  I'm scared and I know you are too. 

Man its all good. You sometimes say some funny stuff and I don't post because I don't want to laugh. lmao

"I can see clearly now that Cam is gone".  Remember that?  

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9529t9z6ebcmztmloe9bn3

• Haha 2