• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It's completely nonsensical.  Murray is a good player, but he isn't half the player Trae is.  Trae has two defenders within reach of him when he crosses the half court line.  Murray does not possess that kind of offensive gravity.  Trae is much better and making those around him better because of that gravity.  Murray is a good player, but if he is your top player, he will put up numbers and you will win 30 games.  

We've already seen it, too. Which just makes it more perplexing lol

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hawkman said:

The Hawks are right there despite all of the mismanagement of assets. Landry isn't going to blow this team up knowing he will get scapegoated if/when things don't pan out.

"if/when"...?   It already ain't panned out.  Thats WHY they were in the lottery.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Let's say they drafted the player everyone had at #1, Nerlens Noel who is getting comps to Sarr. Would that be any better. It would be worse. At least Bennett sucked and was gone instantly. Noel would have stuck for potential reasons 

I hear you, but I was responding to the idea that teams get killed if they get it wrong.  That's not true.  Teams get killed for the surprise pick that busts.  If the Hawks take Sarr and he busts, no one is going to kill them for it because he's literally the guy that the majority of mocks have as the best in the class.  That's the point.  

I don't disagree that drafting a bust that is obvious earlier is probably less bad than drafting a bust that lingers and keeps getting contracts due to potential.  We agree there.  Although Nerlens Noel played 9 seasons and was basically league average or better in 7-8 of them.  So he's not exactly a bust as a player in general.  But as a 1st pick, yeah.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't know how someone can say Murray is half the player Trae is with a straight face. 

We all know Murray is not a franchise player and someone you build for but someone you build with but he's a damn good player. We haven't had someone like him since Iso Joe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

But why are you ignoring the other potential avenues of improvement? We can trade existing players to build around Trae and JJ.  We can sign the MLE and use the TPE.  All of your posts are questioning whether the draft picks (this years and in the coming years) can put us over the top.  That's not the right way to frame this scenario. 

The Hawks are in a great position right now.  They have 2 pgs and a highly talented PF that looks like he's ready to break out.  They also have the number 1 pick.  But the pick isn't and never was going to be a player that puts them over the top. What will put them over the top is upgrading the C position and the wing position. 

That means trading DJM or Trae along with Clint, OO, Hunter, AJ, etc... if necessary to build the roster around the remaining PG and JJ.  I think it's 100% clear that Trae is the better option than DJM so to me, you trade DJM plus others to upgrade either the wing or the C position.  Since the draft is heavy on the C position, it makes the most sense to draft a C and then trade for a wing.  

They already had the Ingram trade on the table.  I'd say you still do that trade and then draft Sarr and make whatever other deals you need to make to fill out the roster around Trae / Ingram / JJ / OO with Sarr as the backup until he's ready.  

I must respectfully disagree with this viewpoint.

The Hawks are not in an ideal position at the moment, even if we secure the first pick. There are numerous issues that need addressing, and dealing with NBA GMs can be akin to negotiating with a used car salesman who attempts to sell you a car for twice its worth.

Trust me, I wish we could achieve what you're suggesting, but currently, I have little confidence in their ability to make the right decisions.

1 minute ago, Hawkmoor said:

Not only are the Hawks not gonna be questioned for taking Sarr, like Doncic, dude played PRO ball already.  Thats THE reason I wanted the Hawks to keep Doncic.  With the wide open NBA rule changes that allow offenses to florish, European players have a easy transition to the NBA game.  Sarr is a player, a baller.  Teams HOPE the Hawks would be ignorant enough to not draft him.

It will be a reverse MPJ situation 😞

• Premium Member
Just now, Wretch said:

I hope that our leadership is taking zero consideration into Trae's FAcy and "the picks."

Based on what we've seen, it feels like trading Trae has been a very real option they were considering even before we landed the number one pick.  This is why landing the number one pick might make them feel more confident in pulling that trigger, to the confusion of some people here.  If you guys recall, when Quin was asked to come coach this team and evaluate, Trae was always a part of that evaluation.  If we decide to move on from him, it will very likely be, to some degree, because the front office and coaching staff do not believe he has "Hawks DNA", in addition to them thinking we have no path to being a contender in the next season or two, and any path to a championship is better suited with a young core developing under Quin's staff.

Not really advocating for that scenario to happen but if you read the tea leaves a bit, that's what I see.  Quin seems to really love DJ, they clearly are redundant, Trae has started messaging how he doesn't feel like he needs to be the best player on a team (he wouldn't be in any trade scenario), Trae started messaging on how he wants to win now, Trae did not comment on us winning the lottery, WOJ (our front office outlet) is posting about how we're seriously considering putting Trae on the market, which is always step 1 of "preparing the fan base for a potential star player trade" playbook.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another reason I'm drafting Sarr.  Folks might now like to hear this but Johnson (and Hunter) are hurt too much.  Sarr is protection for the frontcourt.  They need the additional depth upfront.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Based on what we've seen, it feels like trading Trae has been a very real option they were considering even before we landed the number one pick.  This is why landing the number one pick might make them feel more confident in pulling that trigger, to the confusion of some people here.  If you guys recall, when Quin was asked to come coach this team and evaluate, Trae was always a part of that evaluation.  If we decide to move on from him, it will very likely be, to some degree, because the front office and coaching staff do not believe he has "Hawks DNA", in addition to them thinking we have no path to being a contender in the next season or two, and any path to a championship is better suited with a young core developing under Quin's staff.

Not really advocating for that scenario to happen but if you read the tea leaves a bit, that's what I see.  Quin seems to really love DJ, they clearly are redundant, Trae has started messaging how he doesn't feel like he needs to be the best player on a team (he wouldn't be in any trade scenario), Trae started messaging on how he wants to win now, Trae did not comment on us winning the lottery, WOJ (our front office outlet) is posting about how we're seriously considering putting Trae on the market, which is always step 1 of "preparing the fan base for a potential star player trade" playbook.  

I'm certainly paranoid but DJ also hasn't commented on the winning the lottery.

This is why the org needs to get good messaging out regarding what we are doing.  This being ok with any direction is going to leave guys questioning if they want to be here at all.   Probably already are. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Takes like these are the ones that just really grate on my nerves.  It's all biased opinion.  You "read the tea leaves" through your own glasses and whatever bias you have in them.  You completely ignore the actual things Trae has said, the actual things Quin has said about Trae, the actual things writers with sources have said about them getting along and being on the same page and instead hang your hat on "Trae's messaging," and "Trae's silence since winning the lottery," on supposition after supposition.  It's nauseating.  

I'm not saying Trae won't be traded.  I hope he's not because it would be, imo, a HUGE mistake.  But I suppose it's in the realm of possibilities.  I'm just saying that takes like these that ignore the tangible things that have been said and instead rely on reading between the lines and assuming you know INTENT behind social media posts are just the worst of the worst on the internet.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm certainly paranoid but DJ also hasn't commented on the winning the lottery.

This is why the org needs to get good messaging out regarding what we are doing.  This being ok with any direction is going to leave guys questioning if they want to be here at all.   Probably already are. 

pf3tmpzsr10d1.jpeg

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I actually don't entirely disagree. Mainly because it's SUPER WIERD that Trae has made no comment regarding us getting the #1 pick.  He is on social media on the regular...commenting on just about everything going down in the league.  Here his OWN team won the top pick in the draft (which is as good as it gets for a non-playoff team before FAcy) and...not an LOL emoji, not a retweet of the bazillions official Hawks Tweets, nada?

I would be lying if I said I wasn't waiting to hear from our star.  At least give us a "hopefully we can get someone to come in here and help us right away" standard answer.  His dad has retweeted though, so that's encouraging at least lol...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Based on what we've seen, it feels like trading Trae has been a very real option they were considering even before we landed the number one pick. 

When the Hawks "won" the lottery, I immediately attempted to piece together what this means.  The NBA is a business.  Read into that what you want.  The NBA always makes sure the home market has a "star" to market.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1