• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

On 5/13/2024 at 5:39 PM, ShooterSays said:

I think JJ / Sarr is the ideal pairing at the 4 & 5. Question is whether or not Sarr can be an every-play Center. If yes, this is the easiest pick ever.

If no or maybe, I think he’s still the pick. But it’ll just take some more work to make sure all the pieces fit right.

JJ / OO / Sarr on defense is lights out. Offensively tho… probably not perfect.

JJ can play the 3 and OO has improved his outside shot. It really hinges on who is playing the 2 in this scenario. Even on last years splits, JJ/DJ and 36-37% from 3 would fit well. Even moreso because Sarr is a threat away from the basket. 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 1:17 PM, Wretch said:

We've done a lot questionable stuff where the draft is concerned.  From Babcock's aversion to the lottery, giving up multiple 1sts for Wright (RIP), Bobby Sura and the "let's give it our all", to passing on CP3 with all those forwards in the house, all the way to Luka (which I ain't really mad about now)... 

Sarr is the pick and I am going to lose my shit if we blow this.

Amen! 

After doing more research it may be a weak draft but Sarr could be a very very special player for us! He is the obvious 1st pick and I honestly believe he could help make an impact on defense day 1.

The FO need to let it be known we are taking Sarr sooner rather than later.

The kid really moves his feet defensively! I love the commitment, passion, and dedication he brings on that end. A good coach like Snyder will take Sarr places!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 5/14/2024 at 8:00 PM, bird_dirt said:

How is @NBASupes going to make this poll, and then not even vote?

😂 I had to think everything through before i submitted my vote.

Sarr is easily the best option by far. 

• Like 3

On 5/16/2024 at 2:31 AM, marco102 said:

I don’t watch college, I just put individual net ratings up against the team and keep it moving.  Sheppard and Clingan are elite, Dillingham looks like sh%t.  

No matter the Big type you generally want to follow the template set from guys like Chet and Lively who destroyed their teams ratings and immediately became indispensable in the Association.  

I can’t find rating stats for the NBL oh well.  I won’t know a thing about Sarr until his rookie seaon concludes, as Wemby took a few months to adjust then exploded as his minutes alongside Tre Jones (a metrics titan) increased, he learned more about his opponents, and started moving off the ball beautifully.

@NBASupes check you boy Al out, leading the league in playoff on court per 100 at a stupid 18.6 (2 points ahead of Gobert). Those always been your guys 👍

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I don’t watch college, I just put individual net ratings up against the team and keep it moving.  Sheppard and Clingan are elite, Dillingham looks like sh%t.  

No matter the Big type you generally want to follow the template set from guys like Chet and Lively who destroyed their teams ratings and immediately became indispensable in the Association.  

I can’t find rating stats for the NBL oh well.  I won’t know a thing about Sarr until his rookie seaon concludes, as Wemby took a few months to adjust then exploded as his minutes alongside Tre Jones (a metrics titan) increased, he learned more about his opponents, and started moving off the ball beautifully.

@NBASupes check you boy Al out, leading the league in playoff on court per 100 at a stupid 18.6 (2 points ahead of Gobert). Those always been your guys 👍

Impact guys are where it's at. Jokic was an impact guy before he was a star guy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Impact guys are where it's at. Jokic was an impact guy before he was a star guy 

You know who strikes me as an impact guy, Sarr. He projects to impact winning for us. I’m glad we are getting a defense first dude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/16/2024 at 12:01 AM, JTB said:

Amen! 

After doing more research it may be a weak draft but Sarr could be a very very special player for us! He is the obvious 1st pick and I honestly believe he could help make an impact on defense day 1.

The FO need to let it be known we are taking Sarr sooner rather than later.

The kid really moves his feet defensively! I love the commitment, passion, and dedication he brings on that end. A good coach like Snyder will take Sarr places!

On 5/16/2024 at 12:03 AM, JTB said:

😂 I had to think everything through before i submitted my vote.

Sarr is easily the best option by far. 

I need to retract these statements a bit. Looking at Sarr I’m starting to see why many see him as a Big wing more so than a big man or a PF and not a center. The reports I’ve reviewed are starting to list him as a hybrid big man and one new report from either the athletic or ringer had him listed as more of a wing because his style of play.

Sarr is still a kid and he does need development and there’s nothing wrong with that. He has some skills and good upside potential BUT…

hawks need a combination of both length and STRENGTH. Sarr has the length no doubt but he does not have the power and strength to man the center position which happens to be our biggest weakness and concern.

Did we allow the number 1 pick to blindside us of what our weaknesses are ?

Not that we don’t need wing help but I believe it’s much harder to find the center you need long term more so than the wing you need long term in this era. 

Since Edey is not in most draft experts top 5 picks ….I believe Clingan may have an edge on Sarr on our draft board because Clingan has moved into the top 3 for many experts and is a true center.

Clingan measurements and movements are being compared to Rudy Gobert.

i said this before and now im back on it. I like Sarr but this draft comes down to Clingan and Edey. These two can provide impact day one. I said Sarr could make impact day 1 defensively but I’ll have to take that back. We don’t play the switching defense style that will allow Sarr to make that kind of impact defensively right out the gate. We can’t play a switching defense with Trae! What we learned is Trae is best guarding his own position. That’s the best defense you will get from Trae hence the huge improvement this season .

Trae needs a drop coverage center who can also shoot 3s or just get an easy bucket. Also there’s no way Synder is not seeing Rudy Gobert comparisons to Clingan! Think about it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10121201-donovan-clingan-nba-combine-2024-measurements-analysis-and-impressions

23 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think with his aggressiveness and playmaking, he definitely is showing upside.

I might even have him 1A Sarr and 1B Risacher

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I think with his aggressiveness and playmaking, he definitely is showing upside.

I might even have him 1A Sarr and 1B Risacher

This is where we differ. I don’t like Risacher. He’s craft lengthy and seems to have a lot of different tools, but he also strikes me as a dude that’s gonna get blasted due to skinniness and well.. flat out Danny Manning no muscle 💪🏿 syndrome. 

Now, Zion has taught us you can be fat, Doncic has taught us that you can be a no muscle.. weight heavy guy..

But whose a skinny scrawny NBA guy that has done it with a skinny frame 🖼️.

I suppose we can get him into the weight room.

I don’t know what IT is, but I’m not lovin dude at all. I would take him outside the top 10 even, no way in hell at 1-5, no way.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

This is where we differ. I don’t like Risacher. He’s craft lengthy and seems to have a lot of different tools, but he also strikes me as a dude that’s gonna get blasted due to skinniness and well.. flat out Danny Manning no muscle 💪🏿 syndrome. 

Now, Zion has taught us you can be fat, Doncic has taught us that you can be a no muscle.. weight heavy guy..

But whose a skinny scrawny NBA guy that has done it with a skinny frame 🖼️.

I suppose we can get him into the weight room.

I don’t know what IT is, but I’m not lovin dude at all. I would take him outside the top 10 even, no way in hell at 1-5, no way.

He is about the same size as Franz Wagner. That is his closest comp and it's pretty accurate. However his 3 point shooting is drastically better than Wagner. His release needs work but he has the accuracy. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4566434/franz-wagner

HOWEVER, most of his offensive skill set crosses over into JJ.

You absolutely have to consider the fact that you would have to play Zacharie at SF and ask Jalen to be more PF

Edited by theheroatl
  • Thanks 2