• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

You absolutely have to consider the fact that you would have to play Zacharie at SF and ask Jalen to be more PF

Who pairs better with JJ?

Sarr or Zacc?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who pairs better with JJ?

Sarr or Zacc?

Sarr.. Zacc has like 90% crossover in his game to JJ.. 

However, you can consider the plusses of having duplicate games.. I'll have to think of good examples of crossover games that work well together in the NBA on championship teams..  Not sure there is many. Nuggets for example, limited crossover in games last year between Murray, Porter, KCP, Gordon.. they all sort of play their role in different parts of the floor for spacing.

Think of Zacc as a more fluid, shifty JJ. JJ much further along in development has a much better athletic frame for slashing.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

He is about the same size as Franz Wagner. That is his closest comp and it's pretty accurate. However his 3 point shooting is drastically better than Wagner. His release needs work but he has the accuracy. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4566434/franz-wagner

HOWEVER, most of his offensive skill set crosses over into JJ.

You absolutely have to consider the fact that you would have to play Zacharie at SF and ask Jalen to be more PF

JJ already plays PF. No need to move him if the Hawks went in this direction.  In any event, as we saw when injuries hit this past season the Hawks are in desperate need of another big wing who can play some defense.  Risacher, like Sarr, would likely play off the bench in year one in a fairly limited role.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

His free throw shooting is a deal breaker for me.

Huge red flag. The missed free throws with big men add up especially in playoffs.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Impact guys are where it's at. Jokic was an impact guy before he was a star guy 

The west coast timing and coverage really had me in the dark on Jokic.  Where the hell was I when he finished top 3 for ROY and MIP his first two seasons?  I don’t even recall anything from his games against the Hawks I must’ve missed them all. His impact metrics were near elite from day 1.  Jokic/ Edwards game 7 is gonna be epic af.

nbl.com.au/tv?category=game-replays&video_id=1707643&video_title=Perth%2520Wildcats%2520vs.%2520Brisbane%2520Bullets%2520full%2520replay%2520-%2520Round%252016%2C%2520NBL24&popup=true

This game will be fun to watch.  Rocco Zikharsky for Brisbane is a top big prospect for 2025.  

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sarr is not a center today. Therefore for the Hawks he should not be considered a draft need over Clingan or Edey.

We have a bigger center problem than a wing problem. It’s very possible that a trade can make the wing position for us a lot better but there are no free agent centers or any centers on the market who can fulfill our center needs !

I hope the front office is being smart on this! If we are keeping Trae long term you have to get the center position taken care of first! It’s so important for this franchise.

not hating on Sarr but I no longer believe he’s the right pick for us. He’s a big wing and it’s starting to make sense why he doesn’t show the aggression of a center. 

many of will be mad if we pass on Sarr…I on the other hand see Clingan and Edey as much safer picks.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JTB said:

Sarr is not a center today. Therefore for the Hawks he should not be considered a draft need over Clingan or Edey.

We have a bigger center problem than a wing problem. It’s very possible that a trade can make the wing position for us a lot better but there are no free agent centers or any centers on the market who can fulfill our center needs !

I hope the front office is being smart on this! If we are keeping Trae long term you have to get the center position taken care of first! It’s so important for this franchise.

not hating on Sarr but I no longer believe he’s the right pick for us. He’s a big wing and it’s starting to make sense why he doesn’t show the aggression of a center. 

many of will be mad if we pass on Sarr…I on the other hand see Clingan and Edey as much safer picks.

Simply put...when you have the 1st pick in the draft, drafting for need is not the priority.  You pick who you think will be the best player long-term.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Simply put...when you have the 1st pick in the draft, drafting for need is not the priority.  You pick who you think will be the best player long-term.

And again....I said whether drafting at #1 or #10 in this draft...that player was NOT  slotted in as a starter in year 1 when you consider the current makeup of our team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have a general FRONT COURT ISSUE from SF thru C. We need size, defense and athleticism. If we are keeping Trae the defense has to be addressed, we can't keep being bottom of the league.

I have Sarr backing up JJ in year 1. 

Thank you! PG is the only position we shouldn’t really be looking at, followed closely by SG. 
We absolutely need depth at 3, 4, & 5. Sarr has the most upside in this draft and will play somewhere on this spectrum between 3-5 throughout his career. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Thank you! PG is the only position we shouldn’t really be looking at, followed closely by SG. 
We absolutely need depth at 3, 4, & 5. Sarr has the most upside in this draft and will play somewhere on this spectrum between 3-5 throughout his career. 

We have a chance to fix our defensive identity or better yet......just have one.

The current limits to his offense is duly noted, but I think he's shown enough tools with and without the ball to further develop. He needs work, but who doesn't.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Alex Sarr leads continuation of NBA’s French influx. Will next chapter come with Hawks?

Atlanta fans may roll their eyes at the idea that of course the Hawks won the consolation-prize lottery year — another French center went first in last year’s draft, if you haven’t heard, and the 2025 class is pretty stacked too.

Yet there is no doubt the Hawks still were tremendously fortunate last Sunday. A team that has no tanking option for the next three seasons due to unprotected picks owed from the Dejounte Murray trade instead lucked into a No. 1 overall pick anyway. Sarr might not be Victor Wembanyama, but he (or whomever the Hawks take with the first pick) still should be an impactful player, one who will also be on a team-friendly contract for four seasons. And importantly for a team that was shredded on defense a year ago, Sarr’s strengths tilt heavily toward that end of the floor.

“I’m a versatile defender,” said Sarr, who measured just under 7-feet tall without shoes last week, “and I can play inside-out offensively.”

Sarr didn’t tip his hand on city preferences at the combine but said he wanted to go No. 1.

“I’m a competitor, so I want to be first in anything I do,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s important because I can’t control it. I would (tell them) I’m the best player in the draft.”

Unlike some tall players who pick up the game late when they realize their size advantage, Sarr said he began playing basketball at the age of 4 because his father and older brother both played. (His brother Olivier played collegiately for Wake Forest and Kentucky and is currently on a two-way contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder.)

• Like 4