• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Luol Deng and Hawksquawk...

Diesel

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice timing for this thread. Deng just scored 33 pts against the defending champs, shooting 14-22.

Childress was the slowest wing player tested at the 2004 combine. He was over an inch shorter and over 20 pounds lighter than Deng with an unorthodox jumper. It made no sense at all to pick him to be a shooting guard since he is slow and can't create his own shot at all.

One thing I've noticed about BK's drafting, he seems to take the player with the least chance to fail. Childress is not quite the offensive player of a Deng or Iggy, but he has more skills than either one individually. Childress is a better playmaker/ballhandler/defender than Deng. Iggy is probably the better playmaker/ballhandler, but does not rebound as well.

The point is that JC is one of the most complete players in the NBA in only his third year, not to mention that he does not have to have a play called for him to score or to make other contributions. JC was the sure thing in the eyes of BK, with fewer ways to fail.

Another risk BK does not take, is drafting a player with possible health issues. I believe that is why he passed on Ellis, Roy, and probably would have passed on Aldridge. They have all missed a lot of time this year.

Quote:

One thing I've noticed about BK's drafting, he seems to take the player with the least chance to fail.

Marvin? Josh Smith?

I really wasn't a fan of Deng before the draft, he just didn't impress me at Duke. However, I was a huge Iggy fan and that was who I expected us to draft, I remember Stern calling out Childress and I was like WTF, he hadn't even been discussed pertaining to our draft pick.

Thinking back, it seems that one of the reasons most of this forum was against Deng was that he is strictly a forward (he only attempted 7 3s this year), and we still had hope that Diaw would pan out. It seems like most people wanted someone who could play SG. As far as Iggy working out as well as he has, that would have been a tough prediction to make back then. Iggy wasn't a shooter in college.

Quote:

Childress is not quite the offensive player of a Deng or Iggy, but he has more skills than either one individually. Childress is a better playmaker/ballhandler/defender than Deng.

No he isn't. I don't know where people get the idea that Childress is a playmaker. His assist to turnover ratio has always been week. he doesn't get hardly any assists at all.

Chicago has been one of the best defensive teams in the league yet they have been consistently better with Deng on the court. In fact he has the highest Roland Rating on their whole team.

Childress can't execute a basic drive/pullup jumper worth a crap. Deng makes a living with that play. Deng has clowned us consistently and yet people still try to say Childress is as good as Deng. The only people who think Childress is as good as Deng are Hawks homers.

Quote:

Childress is a better playmaker/ballhandler/defender than Deng. Iggy is probably the better playmaker/ballhandler, but does not rebound as well.

The point is that JC is one of the most complete players in the NBA in only his third year, not to mention that he does not have to have a play called for him to score or to make other contributions. JC was the sure thing in the eyes of BK, with fewer ways to fail.

Childress is a playmaker? You are [censored] retarded. I am sorry. Childress might be the most passive player on this team. He does not compare to Deng. Sorry. The only thing Childress does at an above average level is jump. Playmaker? PLAYMAKER? ::Jim Mora voice::

I like the guy. I think he is spunky and funny. He is a good sixth man because he is solid just about everywhere. But, he will never be a guy you can count on to score for you at certain crucial time. He gets his points sporadically, when the defense leaves him open.

Quote:

Quote:

Childress is not quite the offensive player of a Deng or Iggy, but he has more skills than either one individually. Childress is a better playmaker/ballhandler/defender than Deng.

No he isn't. I don't know where people get the idea that Childress is a playmaker. His assist to turnover ratio has always been week. he doesn't get hardly any assists at all.

Chicago has been one of the best defensive teams in the league yet they have been consistently better with Deng on the court. In fact he has the highest Roland Rating on their whole team.

Childress can't execute a basic drive/pullup jumper worth a crap. Deng makes a living with that play. Deng has clowned us consistently and yet people still try to say Childress is as good as Deng. The only people who think Childress is as good as Deng are Hawks homers.

Yep anyone even thinks Childress is in same class as IGGy or Deng are being foolish homers. BK has some made horrible picks thats why we are so bad right and people want this guy to get a top 3 lottery pick what the hell for. This guy has a top lottery pick the past 3 seasons and everyone of the picks could have been better. You dont give an idiot with this kind of track record another lottery pick he is a clueless GM. Deng/IGGy, Paul/Deron, Roy/Foye/Rondo enough said this guy is a joke and we are still one of the laughing stocks of the league...

Again this is why BK should be fired first and foremost before even thinking about replacing Woodson. Trust me if BK had drafted Deng, Paul or Deron, Woody would have had this team in the playoffs this year minus the injuries. BK has got to be replaced period! He has ruined our whole PG situation it's ridiculous.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Totally agree with exodus. Deng is already on the superstar threshhold and this playoffs may cement his status in the NBA. Chill is just a good 6th man. HUGE difference. It was an absolute joke that we passed over two clearly superior players in Deng and Iggy and took the slowest AND oldest player of the three.

Great job Knight.

Deng is significantly better on defense as well versus Chill. I'm not sure how well you understand the game at this point. There is almost no area where Chill gets the nod over Deng. I do know you are a BK homer because you seem to post about how much you like his players.

Because of BK we are still a lousy basketball team despite what the ASG has to say. The fact that 30 wins is Bk's high as a GM says all you need to know. The fact that he drafts guys like Chill, Marvin, and Shelden is further proof he is an incompetant man in this job. Fortunately for him, he works for a bunch of stooges.

Quote:

Totally agree with exodus. Deng is already on the superstar threshhold and this playoffs may cement his status in the NBA. Chill is just a good 6th man. HUGE difference. It was an absolute joke that we passed over two clearly superior players in Deng and Iggy and took the slowest AND oldest player of the three.

Great job Knight.

The worst part of this whole scenario is that Childress was BK's BEST lotto pick! That fact alone should get him fired..

Quote:

Childress can't execute a basic drive/pullup jumper worth a crap.

When you're shot is one of the ugliest in the history of basketball, you'd better have more game than Childress to be drafted ahead of Iggy or Deng. Seriously, I know it's fun to clown his shot and all, but it really does limit his potential. He can't shoot unless he is wide effing open. It actually angers me that I have to watch him shoot that god awful thing he calls a jumper. Really, he should grow up. He's making the money, now he should learn how to shoot a basketball properly.There are plenty of 10 year olds out there that could teach him a few things. He loses every open bit of space that you need to shoot. His ball comes out at like a 45 degree angle. Having said that, I still like him. His defense is something just above awful but I really like how he plays around the basket on offense. I wish Joe had half of his desire to dunk.

You and everyone else here can sit around and talk about what BK should have done with this pick or that pick, it goes on in every city, but he has a consistent philosophy for evaluating and picking talent that you can count on.

This team is/was the youngest team in the NBA this year, and with any average-grade coach (and a few less injuries), would (not should) have been at .500 while easliy making the playoffs.

BK is what he is, does not take chances, and goes for the odds-on sure thing. Not necessarily my style, but then again, my stock picks are not that great either. As for my knowledge of the sport, I guess you will have to blame Hubie Brown for that. Listening to him ramble on at press conferences about the NBA in general, after each home game, has rubbed off on me too much.

Quote:

BK is what he is, does not take chances, and goes for the odds-on sure thing.

Huh? Since when was Marvin considered a sure thing? He was known to be a project that wouldn't pay off for the first few years.

He took a chance drafting Childress and Shelden ahead of players that everyone had rated higher.

I've been preaching this sermon for three years now regarding Childress. Childress fans are quick to say that he's a boxscore stuffer, he's a 'glue' guy. To me, a 'glue' guy is like a hamburger; you can find a good one almost anywhere, whether its later in the first round, the second, free agency, whatever. Glue guys should be found that way, NOT WITH THE 6TH PICK OF THE DRAFT. Childress is a guy who does a lot of things (allegedly) but nothing WELL. He has a high FG percentage but if you took a look at his shot chart, you'd see that a high amount of his attempts and makes are from within 10 feet (putbacks and layups). When was the last time he's made a shot from outside the lane with a hand in his face? When was the last time that he's driven to the basket, pulled up and fired true from 15-19 feet? That's what Deng does right now. Imagine having Deng riding shotgun with Smith in the frontcourt instead of having to hope/pray/wish for Marvin Williams to pan out banghead.gif. And you wonder why the Hawks have gone nearly a quarter-century between drafting All-Stars?

Quote:

Deng is significantly better on defense as well versus Chill. I'm not sure how well you understand the game at this point. There is almost no area where Chill gets the nod over Deng. I do know you are a BK homer because you seem to post about how much you like his players.

Because of BK we are still a lousy basketball team despite what the ASG has to say. The fact that 30 wins is Bk's high as a GM says all you need to know. The fact that he drafts guys like Chill, Marvin, and Shelden is further proof he is an incompetant man in this job. Fortunately for him, he works for a bunch of stooges.

The fact that 30 wins is a watershed mark for BK's ENTIRE CAREER as a GM speaks volumes about his inability to put together a talented team. Even Babs looks good (sometimes) when compared to him, which says more than enough. There isn't one phase of the game of basketball that Josh Childress does that is better than Luol Deng, PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION. He doesn't hold much of a candle to Andre Iguodala, either. I've stated for an eternity how Iguodala's numbers were just as good as Childress's. Even when he had two of the biggest chuckers in the league taking 60-80% of the shots, Iguodala's numbers were just as good while Childress had a chance to do more on one of the worst shooting, lowest scoring teams in the league. He's gotten even better when given the opportunity after Iverson left.

To even compare Childress to the other two is almost laughable at this point. Who has a higher trade value right now? No need to respond because we all know the answer.

Quote:

BK is what he is, does not take chances, and goes for the odds-on sure thing.

Marvin, Smoove, Diaw were sure things??? What about dealing Shareef and change for the rights to Gasol when he was at Memphis.