My head is spinning

SuperSavvyNation

For the record (thus far), there is no doubt that BK has played these past few weeks leading up to the draft perfectly. All of these 'leaked' rumors about who we are interested in drafting/trading have opened up all kinds of posibilities and have put us in the cat-bird seat in terms of options. Now is he savvy enough to make the right decisions?!?!

I'm getting nauseated leaning one direction on Monday, the other on Tuesday, a third on Wednesday, etc etc etc....

First of all Conley (in my mind) would do the most to help this team jell. He gives us what we need in terms of a playmaker with tough defense.

I don't see a true center prospect, so Ji is a player that I am intrigued by. Really curious. I think he can be an exciting player and maybe has the highest upside of all the rest. But where would he play? He's not a center. But who is? If they're all forwards, then why not choose Ji?

On the other hand, we really need to upgrade our post defense. Horford is the best when considering this aspect. Plus, he's extremely smart with high BBIQ (from reports), has some offensive game and would clearly be an assett. But is he only a minimal upgrade of Shellhead?

What about Gasol? I really like him and he would play the center position (I don't care if he thinks he's a PF) and add a dimension to our offense that we desparately need. He's a vet and would appear to vastly improve our frontcourt and make us an immediate contender. But what about his defense (Lord forbid we play team defense)? Is he too expensive when considering what our you players will command in the near future? Could Ji be that type of player in the next 2-3 years on the cheap?

I really like Jarret Jack, too. If we don't get Conley, please trade for Jack. His defense is what sets him apart from drafting Law. We really need defense from the guard positions. Listen closely. We MUST have defense from the guard positions.

Trade with Bucks for CV/#6? Not bad. He is an asset either from the bench or in a trade...and Conley (at #6)would answer our #1 need IMO. This is definitely an option that is building steam. And even if it is just a smokescreen. It does the trick of putting pressure on other teams to compete for the right to deal with the Hawks at #3.

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just thinking outloud. It does make me quite dizzy.

Zbo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Well if it makes you feel better I've been assured that Knight is going to get the most "bang for the buck" from both our draft picks this year knowing we won't have a pick next year. If that means trading the picks for a guy like Gasol or trading down or staying pat, they are going to fill needs and get some talent.

To tell you guys how crazy this has been so far I was told that every team in the NBA except for the Spurs has contacted Knight at least once over a trade for the #3 pick. No joke. That kind of interest in that pick is going to swell its value.

Every team but the Spurs?!?! That is good info. There are so many good options here - we really have to hold BK accountable to maximizing it. I'm already getting tired of making scenarios, and I've only scratched the surface of what is possible.

With so many good options, it's easier to list the options you don't want. No Brandan Wright at any pick. No reaches allowed (Conley at #3). Don't trade JJ. I think that about covers it.

Good summary.

To BK the important thing is that he has to show something this year. His back is against the wall and he has his guns loaded. He can't have any excuses. At the end of this year he will become an A-listed or an F-listed. There won't be any B, C or D.

That is one reason Yi is too risky for his own survival. If he wants to show off, he'll draft Horford and try to play all his draftees together and do something special. That will destroy his critics. Horford+Shelden+Smoove could be a scary defensive trio in the playoffs.

If this team shines with Gasol and Jack, the critics will give little credit to his collection of draft picks.

Everybody does things that's the best for himself. I think BK is arrogant enough to go for the home run.

I see the owners pulling for Yi for long run $, if not for superstar potential.

Good points. We think alot alike.

Yi could be great but I can't tell on fuzzy internet highlight clips vs. inferior competition.

We know Conley makes us a cohesive team.

We know Hoford has the mind set of a true interior presnence and is more gifted atheletically and measurments wise then Sheldon. I'd have to say Hoford is more then a minimal upgrade over Sheldon.

Yi is he unknown. He refuses to compete so he is still unknown. To me Yi is a jump shooting PF. We need a true post presence to draw double teams and run the offense through so we don't live and die by the jumper ever game.

We have too much riding on this draft to roll the dice on the unknown for my taste.

If we get Yi I won't diss him every chance I get like many have done to Marvin. I'll support him but hope and prey we go a different rout to build the most cohesive team possible rather then continue to multiply jump shooting fowards.

I still love this argument out of the Conley camp. There are no clear C so lets draft to fill a need. So last year when there was no "true" PG's and we draft Shelden to fill a need BK was the biggest bafoon???? Please somebody explain to me this logic.

While I think Shelden will become a 12/10 guy with good defense many are writing that off as a bust and horrible pick. So let me get this straight, our need last year was a big body downlow to playa d in the paint. There were no "true" pgs so we take a proven 2 time defensive player of the year and all-american at our need, but its a horrible idea. Then this year our need is a PG so the best option is a 19yr old freshman that played on a stacked team. pillepalle.gif

Does anyone else not find this ironic???? The same posters that beat BK to death for drafting on need and not taking a player that may have more upside even if it is at a duplicate position, now want to do the same thing this year with someone that is even less proven.

Im not bashing Conley here, but some want to draft guy that before the lottery when we got the 3rd pick was not projected in any mock to go higher then 7. even now in many mocks he is sliding to 11. So BK should just take the less proven talent much higher then supposed to inorder to fill a need??????????????

God I love the hypocracy that runs rampent on here. I think Chad Ford is posting under 20 SN's

If BK drafts Conley at #3, and Law looks better during the season, nobody can save BK. His mama will beat him up for that one. Law is more likely to have a better rookie season than Conley. Who knows about the long run? Conley supporters need to realize that BK could be in deeper trouble for drafting Conley than for not drafting him. Using #11 for PG is by far the safer route.

Quote:

If BK drafts Conley at #3, and Law looks better during the season, nobody can save BK. His mama will beat him up for that one. Law is more likely to have a better rookie season than Conley. Who knows about the long run? Conley supporters need to realize that BK could be in deeper trouble for drafting Conley than for not drafting him. Using #11 for PG is by far the safer route.

Heh, imagine what this board would be like if Mike Conley is leading the Milwaukee Bucks past the Hawks for the last playoff spot in the East.

Projected playoff teams (not in order)

1. Detroit

2. Miami

3. Cleveland

4. Chicago

5. Toronto

6. Washington

7 & 8. Orlando, New Jersey, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Charlotte, New York, Indiana, Philly, Boston. Only Indiana out of the running assuming they trade O'Neal.

This is my problem with people wanting Atlanta to go Yi/Law or Yi/Crit. The assumption that two rookies will elevate you past 5 teams in the standings is a reach. Especially when two of those teams also have multiple picks and/or capspace to burn.

Let's say the Hawks pass on Gasol. Then Charlotte signs Rashard Lewis along with their two draft picks. New York trades for Jermaine O'Neal. Philly improves on the torrid pace they were on post-AI. While all the playoff teams at least maintain. How can you realistically think the Hawks would make the playoffs?

one thing that i've really been over in my mind is increasing our ability to score.

We were middle of the pack defensively last year so although we need some defense in the middle, it's not killing us.

But our scoring was dead last. That jumps out at me that this is something that needs to improve. Not to mention game after game I watched where we would go through a stretch where we couldnt a score for anything.

We need to get our scoring up big time. We need to make sure that whatever point guard we get in here can setup our other players better (and they need to hit their shots) or can score themselves. I'm hoping that is where BK will focus.

With every team calling it must be mind boggling to weigh all the options. Was thinking they must have a decision matrix or some method to measure one option against another. And it is only going to get worse as the draft approaches . . . . you have to think that we will get a great offer for that pick by the time draft night arrives.

Quote:

we draft Shelden to fill a need BK was the biggest bafoon???? Please somebody explain to me this logic.

What need did he fill? Did we really need a backup to Josh Smith that badly?

Shelden's standing reach is 4" shorter than our starting small forward and he has only a 33" vertical. How is he going to challenge shots in the lane?

Maybe if they let him put a trampoline under the basket he could jump on it and contest shots. Otherwise he is SOL.

Quote:

IWhile I think Shelden will become a 12/10 guy with good defense many are writing that off as a bust and horrible pick. So let me get this straight, our need last year was a big body downlow to playa d in the paint. There were no "true" pgs so we take a proven 2 time defensive player of the year and all-american at our need, but its a horrible idea. Then this year our need is a PG so the best option is a 19yr old freshman that played on a stacked team.
pillepalle.gif

Does anyone else not find this ironic???? The same posters that beat BK to death for drafting on need and not taking a player that may have more upside even if it is at a duplicate position, now want to do the same thing this year with someone that is even less proven.

Im not bashing Conley here, but some want to draft guy that before the lottery when we got the 3rd pick was not projected in any mock to go higher then 7. even now in many mocks he is sliding to 11. So BK should just take the less proven talent much higher then supposed to inorder to fill a need??????????????

God I love the hypocracy that runs rampent on here. I think Chad Ford is posting under 20 SN's

There is no hypocrisy. BK drafted a forward last year with the number five pick despite using 4 first round picks in the three previous drafts on forwards. No one would have complained had BK drafted a center. Sheldon never had a chance to start on the Hawks unless BK/Woody were willing to Bench Marvin, the previous years number 2 overall selection.

So one more time: the Atlanta Hawks' two biggest needs for the past three years have been: (1) pass first starting caliber point guard and (2) defensive oriented center with some semblance of a back to the basket offensive game (or at least able to provide defense or offense).

BK has two picks and the ability to trade some redundent assets to get a point guard and a center. If he doesn't get at least one of those he fails. There is no need for another forward.

One big problem in last year's draft was the dearth of centers available to us. As much as Shelden hasn't worked out so far, in truth, had we gone for a real center it probably would have been for Patrick O'Bryant or Sear Sene...neither of which have done anything at all so far.

BK should have adapted to the talent available better.

I'm sure BK would love to play Mr. Potato head and mythiclly create a C and PG. But please tell me of the two C's taken last year O'bryant and Armstrong, both taken well after Shelden what C there was for BK to choose from????????

So your answer is well he shoudl have drafted a C last year, ummmmmmmmmmmm find me a center in last years draft that was better then Shelden. NOTICE I didnt say CENTER, I said a defensive presence in the lane!!!!!!!!!!

Also now that BK is coming out saying Shelden will get more minutes at the Center postion then last year, dont you think that is him saying, Woody I drafted this guy to be you big man in the paint and rebound and you didnt use him right????????

I wish we could have picked up that so called center last year, oh what was his name..... oh yeh he didnt exsist. WIth no true PG and no big time changing center, and a need for a player in the paint, BK took a 2 time defensive player of the year, whiel he got hurt and wasnt used correctly it isnt BK's fault the hand he was dealt. Next it will be his fault for not getting a guy liek Dwight Howard as if they grow on trees and he can magically make one appear at our draft spot.

• Moderators

Geez. The idea is to keep people out of the lane. Smoove can out jump the whole league does that mean he can guard Shaq and Duncan because he can 'challenge' their shots. Defending PF/C's in the nba means being strong enough to put a body on them. Just ask Ben Wallace.

You are missing the point. The point is that if you are going to draft for need, draft for need. The Hawks did not need another forward. So in that respect, if you are willing to play Sheldon out of position why not use the number 5 overall pick on the better talent and play Roy out of position at point guard. Would he be any worse of a point guard then Sheldon is a center? Would he really be any worse then Lue/Speedy/AJ/Ivey? It is not like any of those guys are creative passers. Plus, Roy then could get alot more back in a trade then Sheldon.

People who have argued that the Hawks need a point guard this year, even if it means reaching for one, are at least targeting a player that fills a specific need - not taking a player and shoehorning him into a position he is not ideally suited for.

Really, all of this is a result of poor drafting over the years by BK.

Quote:

Geez. The idea is to keep people out of the lane. Smoove can out jump the whole league does that mean he can guard Shaq and Duncan because he can 'challenge' their shots. Defending PF/C's in the nba means being strong enough to put a body on them. Just ask Ben Wallace.

Shelden wasn't keeping people out of the lane either. That is why Woody didnt play him much.

our problem this year and last year is picking in a spot where position of need is nullified due to either having to pick one too early or it's too late....so no centers could have been picked last year at our pick....

bk's problem last year wasnt picking shelden, it was picking him a couple slots too high without trading down and letting everyone get wind of it...

if shelden gets a bit stronger, there is no doubt in my mind that he can play strong mantoman defense in the paint...man defense is more important than block shots...block two shots a game and that saves you a whopping 4 points a game, but play good man defense and it can have a huge effect on the game....plus we have a fantastic shotblocker in josh..

why am i finding myself the only person here having to defense 1 year and 2 year players as stiill having development time?