• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the Hawks draft!

chillzatl

• Moderators

I rate this draft a solid B for the Hawks. Solid but not exceptional value at both spots. Of course, the rating of this draft in 3 years means a lot more than today but knowing what we do now things look good from both a talent and need perspective (assuming the Hawks follow through with Horford playing C as Bernie indicated).

I'm happy with the picks.

Both were common sense picks. And, a lot of the time in the NBA, common sense goes out the window. (By the way, Shelly last year WAS NOT A COMMON SENSE PICK for a number of reasons... it was a reach that needed justification).

These picks could look a lot better too if we make a trade with Zaza, Shelly, Lue or AJ (in some package).

• Admin

I think the picks were correct. However, I don't think we should have kept the picks. I am dissappointed that we did not get Pau or Amare. Players that would instantly turn us into contenders.

We got a point guard that is not really a point guard and an undersized center...if he can play center....and we got younger. Something else we didn't need.

We got better with this draft!

A PG who can score when called upon like when Joe is doubled or switch to the 2 and score with Speedy or Lue running the point.

A PF who is very fluid in all aspects of the game more importantly defense and rebounding. Last year Josh and Solomon were the only ones doing this with any regularity.

So as I rated before I rate again........B+!!!

Definitely an A . . . for this draft. We had to somehow address the issues at center and point guard. Horford was the best option at center, and Acie will prove that he is the best option at PG.

I can rest easy until the season starts . . unless we make a trade for somebody we have no business trading for.

• Premium Member

Only one other time have I been truly happy about a selection that BK made. In 2004, I was PRAYING that Josh Smith keep falling to 17. When he was there, I was praying that we take him. I had that same feeling last night. I was a little nervous that Minny or Sac might nab Acie, but was mostly concerned whether or not BK would actually get him.

In every draft, there is always a bunch of guys that I like, but only one that I make my mind up on. In 2004, I was focused on Deng. In 2005, Chris Paul was my man. In 2006, it was Brandon Roy. Even though I've stayed out of all the debates this draft season, there was one player that stood out to me; the more I saw of him, the more I wanted him - Acie Law. I think the turning point was that interview that Diesel posted. I think dude is going to be the truth.

The plethora of talented bigs, let alone the consensus locks at 1 and 2 and the Chinese phenom, have just overshadowed everything else in this draft. Acie Law simply slipped under the radar. I think he's a steal at 11.

That had to have predicated maganement's thinking at #3. Seriously, if they had taken Conley at 3 (which I would have be completely cool with), what would they have done at 11? They took a great prospect at #3 and turned around and got a great prospect at #11.

...and I really don't care that Horford is another forward. Trade Shelden, JC, or Marvin...or some combination thereof and get a guy to patrol the paint.

Can't wait for the season to start. eheheh.gif

The selection of Al Horford is a complete joke. The fact that so many people agree with it is telling. This guy will never come close to being an All Star. Barring a trade, this is the worst thing that could have happened. We used the third pick on someone who will be competing for backup minutes with Solo and Shelden! pillepalle.gif Oh, and he created exactly 0 new season ticket holders. We used the eleventh pick on our 4th pg, who will surely "sit, watch, and learn" from the veteran pg's we have.

We needed trades. My gut feeling is that we do pull off a very underwhelming trade involving Lue.

To all the people who think Horford is the right pick: Talk to me in March. This guy would have to be the greatest help defender of all time to warrant the 3rd overall. We need a presence. One who's a grown man.

Funny how no one wanted another forward when it was a Chinese guy...with infinitely more potential and current game even, but a black forward with no discernable "game" gets 60 plus positive votes? Telling of the Squawk.

The picks were fine, probably the best we could have done. I think the failing grade goes to the Hawks ownership. They are fractured and provide NO LEADERSHIP. In fact, the exact opposite is the case meaning that they have hamstrung themselves with legal battles that limits our trading options. They have opened themselves up for public ridicule with the Yi vs. Horford vs. not signing off on Amare trade. We are a laughing stock that few players want to subject themselves to in a free agent market. What free agent would go through what Joe Johnson did unless they were trying to get a long term contract off of bad knees?

What is even worse is that the defacto captain of this rudderless ship is Billy Knight. Billy is too aligned and too proud of his own selections to move any pieces. Billy has done a good job of getting redundant talent on this roster. He has done a horrible job of moving those pieces to complete the team. He is done a criminal job in keeping Mike Woodson as the head coach. Is it cronyism or pride? Whatever it is we need a new direction in the front office so next season's highlight isn't the NBA draft lottery.