Why has Acie been chained to the bench?

Dukegotgame

I guess Woodson does not realize you need a backup PG in the NBA. I guess he also does not realize that Childress does not play well when he tries to use him at PG and it limits his effectiveness. I do not think any of you can seriously tell me Chill is a better option as the backup PG than Acie.

I love the fact that our coach has turned a cold blooded killer guard into a bench bum.

Woodson is terrible at developing young players.

You can cite Smoove/Chill/Marvin...but he had no choice but to play them. There was no one else. And is there anyone who doesn't believe Josh Smith couldn't be even better if he had a better coach? Someone who could discipline him? And I'm sure even if you asked him, he'd credit 99% of his development to Hakeem, Murphy, and even 'Nique...

Shelden was never going to be great, but Woodson jerked his minutes around so much. He's been even worse with Acie. No reason he should have this long string of DNPs.

Quote:

Someone sitting next to me at the game yesterday said he thought Acies wrist was hurt again, and he even had some sort of brace on it or something.

I couldn't see him very clearly so I couldn't tell, has anyone seen/heard this?

Acie has played with a brace the majority of the season.

Woodson doesn't play Acie because he has no confidence in Law. That is not to say that Law shouldn't be playing, because he should be playing, esp when the Hawks need defense at the point.

I guess I can sum-up why Acie Law isn't playing in two words:

WOODSON SUCKS!

Acie is on the bench because he has shown teeny-weenie-tiny balls. No confidence in his game which means little help for the team on the court. You and I may wish he is more than he has shown, but he hasn't.

The playoffs are for men not "big boys" or men with weak mindsets.

When you have not shown it in the game, you gotta show it in practice to get the chance. Right now is the time to go with what you know.

When Woodson plays Acie it's "Woody sucks for not playing Salim"

When Woodson play Salim it's "Woody sucks for not playing Acie"

He has 2 backup PGs that are not big enough to play together or to play the SG spot. What is he supposed to do? He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Play the one that actually resembles a PG at times and has a future with the team?

Smitty made an excellent point the other night...the attempt to play Childress at PG is a failure. Not only is he not a PG (He can't create his own shot, so he's certainly not creating for anyone else), but it takes him away from his effective spot along the baseline.

Acie has never been able to get comfortable, both due to injuries and Woody's rotations. He should be getting at least 10-15 minutes at this point...and not just with the 2nd team lineups Woody has stuck him with.

I agree that Acie should play instead of Salim, my point is that the people here will [censored] and complain either way so what difference does it make.

Acie must have done something in the Philly game (or not done something) that Woody felt like should keep him on the bench, either that or maybe he re-injured his wrist otherwise it doesn't make sense because Woody has shown this year that he is much more likely to play Acie over Salim. It's not like Salim has done anything to force Woody's hand.

Quote:

Someone sitting next to me at the game yesterday said he thought Acies wrist was hurt again, and he even had some sort of brace on it or something.

I couldn't see him very clearly so I couldn't tell, has anyone seen/heard this?

Acie has played with that wrist band since he came back.

see

c009adbf23f17bf16a51eb5yb0.jpg

The simple answer is that Woodson:

1) Doesnt trust Acie

2) Never has been one to adequately develop players

3) I suppose he thinks we will do fine in case Bibby goes down or flat out plays horribly, oh wait, that has happened...

4) He believe NON-PGs like Chill and Salim (and Joe) can adequately handle bringing the ball up the court and trying to facilitate offense when Bibby is not in

5) It's Woodson

What the hell we going to do after next year when Bibby leaves? I tell ya, we will be just like we were pre-Bibby--without a capable/developed PG to take over.

There is no sense in arguing this one with the haters. Woody gets no credit for developing Smoove, Marvin, Chillz, Al, etc. but he will get all of the blame for not developing Salim, Solo, and various other non-NBA caliber players.

Quote:

There is no sense in arguing this one with the haters. Woody gets no credit for developing Smoove, Marvin, Chillz, Al, etc. but he will get all of the blame for not developing Salim, Solo, and various other non-NBA caliber players.

Woody developed Marvin? That's news to me. Far as I can see, Marvin is still just a goofy spot-up 2-point shooter who draws too many offensive fouls when he tries to drive.

Al is just a stud, and is playing like it. Chillz is doing what he's always done, which is scoring on hustle plays, offensive boards, etc.

The only one that has really developed beyond what they were originally is Smoove, and it seems to be due to his own desire to improve in the offseason. I'd say Woody hinders that development more than helps it. The other night, Smoove comes out firing in the 1st and looks good. Does Woody feed the hot hand? No, he draws up post plays for Marvin. Where are the post plays for Smoove? Where are the pick and rolls with Smoove and Bibby? I'm not saying he needs to do it every game, but when the kid is hot give him the ball.

Woody blows, plain and simple.

Quote:

When Woodson plays Acie it's "Woody sucks for not playing Salim"

When Woodson play Salim it's "Woody sucks for not playing Acie"

He has 2 backup PGs that are not big enough to play together or to play the SG spot. What is he supposed to do? He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Salim is NOT a point guard. If he were 4 inches taller no one would ever talk about him playing the point. The only reason they do now is because he is too short to play his natural position.

Similarly, Childress is NOT a point guard.

On top of all that, Woody is not a good coach - that is obvious.

simple answer:

this isn't the time to be developing players for the next season. if we were the celtics or the grizzlies then yeah we should be playing acie, but right now when one mistake is the difference between breaking a decade long playoff drought and going home with no first round pick to feel good for, you gotta go with production over development. i'm 100% with this move by woodson. acie will get some burn while we're getting thrashed by boston but for right now he needs to stay on the bench and see what it takes to get into the playoffs. hint-it's not being scared to go all out.