It's official: Childress goes Greek.

DJ_Money

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...wks_greece.html

Quote:

Atlanta Hawks fans won't have to fret over the fate of restricted free agent swingman Josh Childress anymore.

That's because Childress is no longer a Hawk. He said he agreed to terms Wednesday morning on a three-year contract with Olympiakos of Greece that is worth far more than $20 million initially reported.

"It's official, I just signed," Childress said by phone Wednesday morning from Athens, where he and agent Jim Tanner will be until Friday. "I think it was . . . a situation where I didn't know who to expect coming in, coming over to Athens. But it's a great city and a great organization. They do whatever they can to make you feel at home."

The deal is the most lucrative current contract in European basketball and the biggest in Euroleague history. It's also another step in the globalization of the game, a trend that got a huge boost recently when the top-rated U.S. high school player, California native Brandon Jennings, opted for a contract with an Italian team over playing at Arizona.

Womp womp...

There's more at the link, but nothing really relevant.

We can blast the ASG for dragging their feet and getting nothing done earlier, but there's nothing to be said about matching the money.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Screw Josh Childress. If the article is right he turned down 33 million from us to play in the freaking Euroleague. I hope he never plays in the NBA again.

Now we can start to develop a bench!

The ASG better find a way to sign J.R. Smith and some bigs because they are also at fault in this too.

• Premium Member

No, the ASG isn't at fault in the Childress' situation. They would have been at fault had the offered him $11M/year.

Welp, I guess this solves all those "who's the best SF" and the "how will the ASG afford all of these guys" questions.

Congrats to Josh.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The ASG better find a way to sign J.R. Smith and some bigs because they are also at fault in this too.

Again, this may be a blessing in disguise.

1) You retain childress' rights

2) You can use his money to sign veteran help off the bench

3) There are plenty of shooters and 2nd/3rd tier big men available

4) Multiple NBA grade type players on your bench allows you more flexibility.

Let's face reality guys, Childress was only effective against certain team while other team shut him down. Flexibility most likely will help us win more games.

Good for Childress if this is what he wants. Greece is a pretty fun place, especially if you're rich and 25. Sucks for us. As much as everyone says that he wasn't worth a big contract, he was still pretty crucial to the team and replacing him will be tough. JR Smith seems more like a JJ backup. He doesn't really complement him and rest of the lineup like Childress did.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Good for Childress if this is what he wants. Greece is a pretty fun place, especially if you're rich and 25. Sucks for us. As much as everyone says that he wasn't worth a big contract, he was still pretty crucial to the team and replacing him will be tough. JR Smith seems more like a JJ backup. He doesn't really complement him and rest of the lineup like Childress did.

But what you are ignoring is that we can get 2 maybe players for that kind of money to replace Childress' productivity. that is what Sung probably realized.

Quote:

Not sure that one's worth anything. This guy just went to every NBA team's blacklist. You'd have better luck getting back on an NBA roster if you committed a felony than if you were the first American player to leave behind an NBA contract to play in Europe.

• Premium Member

Quote:

No, the ASG isn't at fault in the Childress' situation. They would have been at fault had the offered him $11M/year.

Welp, I guess this solves all those "who's the best SF" and the "how will the ASG afford all of these guys" questions.

Congrats to Josh.

How are the ASG not at fault.

They could have offered him an extension last year and he would have taken it. They could have offered him an extension in Feb and he would have taken it. They probably could have offered him an extension on July 1 and he probably would have taken it. However, they wanted to see what the Market would say. This is the problem with waiting on the market to dictate what you should pay your free agents. Sometimes you get screwed. Moreover, when Sund hit the scene... what did he say to Chillz? You're our second priority...

What kind of s--- is that.

First they put you behind an inferior player and call you 6th man...

Then they call you second priority!

Good Luck to Chillz. I don't blame him one bit!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

But what you are ignoring is that we can get 2 maybe players for that kind of money to replace Childress' productivity. that is what Sung probably realized.

All we have ever had is the MLE. With Chillz or without Chillz that's all we had and that's all we have now. You need to wake up and realize that we just flushed value down the drain!

Quote:

*Is the city of Atlanta cursed?*

Had to be buried on an ancient Indian burial ground or something. Regardless, something just isn't right with this town. Think of what has gone down in this city in terms of sports.

Our star QB gets busted for, all of things, DOG FIGHTING.

Our football coach leaves in midseason for ARKANSAS.

Our safety gets busted the night before the Super Bowl for soliciting an undercover cop.

Our baseball team goes to the playoffs 14 straight years and wins ONE WORLD TITLE. Meanwhile, its manager has the most job security of any coach/manager in pro sports.

Our baseball team makes heroes out of guys like Jim Leyritz, Sterling Hitchcock, and Livan Hernandez.

Our football team has never had consecutive winning seasons.

Our popular hockey team never gets past the first round only to.....leave town and win one in Calgary. Meanswhile....

The team that replaced them have been here nearly a decade and has never won a postseason game.

The basketball owners spend more time (and possibly $$$) IN court than the product ON the court.

Our basketball team has the 1st and 3rd pick in a draft (1975) and NONE of them plays a single minute in Hawk gear.

And folks wonder why the stands stay empty down here? You wonder why the transients who move down here want nothing to do with (insert sports facility here) unless their hometown team shows up? You wonder why us locals, who have taken endless shots from the national media for having the gall not to spend good $$$ on such lousy products, have thrown our collective hands up in frustration? Keep wondering, folks.

As they say, only in Atlanta.....

• Premium Member

Quote:

This guy just went to every NBA team's blacklist.

If guys like Spreewell could continue to get jobs year after year, I doubt that Childress is going to be blacklisted for taking more money outside the NBA.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure that one's worth anything. This guy just went to every NBA team's blacklist. You'd have better luck getting back on an NBA roster if you committed a felony than if you were the first American player to leave behind an NBA contract to play in Europe.

I don't get this. It's a capitalist world. He didn't just shoot his mama and sing the Chinese national anthem.

To the contrary, while I maintain that no team contends for a championship without a glue kind of player like Chil, and while I have some heartache that we may end up losing some chemistry here, the overall outcome is really not so bad.

Perhaps the greatest loss is just the fact that I like Josh Childress. He's a quality player and from all that can be understood, a quality person. Can't root against a guy like that.

• Premium Member

Quote:

All we have ever had is the MLE. With Chillz or without Chillz that's all we had and that's all we have now.

We also have the LLE and we couldn't use them if we signed Childress! now we can use them while retaining childress' rights. We still own the value you speak of when he comes back to the NBA but have more flexibility now.

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats to Josh.

How are the ASG not at fault.

They could have offered him an extension last year and he would have taken it. They could have offered him an extension in Feb and he would have taken it. They probably could have offered him an extension on July 1 and he probably would have taken it. However, they wanted to see what the Market would say. This is the problem with waiting on the market to dictate what you should pay your free agents. Sometimes you get screwed. Moreover, when Sund hit the scene... what did he say to Chillz? You're our second priority...

What kind of s--- is that.

First they put you behind an inferior player and call you 6th man...

Then they call you second priority!

Good Luck to Chillz. I don't blame him one bit!

Childress was our second priority becasue he will never be better than Smoove!

Childress does nothing better than Marvin except offensive rebounding and he still played over 32 mpg!

This is Childress' fault and you can't blame it on anyone but him!