• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This is the worst franchise in sports history

CBAreject

Quote:

It's so hard to keep hoping. This team just dashes every shred of optimism. Gross. Barf. Yuck.

The Falcolns are worse than us. They have been here since the 60's and never had back to back winning seasons.

They were discussing prosports franchises in atlanta earlier on 680. With the exception of Ted Turner's ownership stint, Atlanta sports franchises have had poor ownership leading to the many years of bad fan support. People want winners in this city. If you ain't winning, they ain't coming. Who knows what the final say will be on Blank and the Falcons. Alot depends on how Ryan fares as a pro qb. We will see.

Quote:

Quote:

It's so hard to keep hoping. This team just dashes every shred of optimism. Gross. Barf. Yuck.

The Falcolns are worse than us. They have been here since the 60's and never had back to back winning seasons.

Yep, but they've won one more big game than the Hawks ever have in the playoffs (at least here). They've played for a championship. They've been to conference title games. Hell, they've even had a waiting list for tickets (albeit mostly for MV7). That's something I'm praying the Hawks could do one day....

Quote:

Quote:

What the Falcons have that the Hawks don't is an owner who's willing to pay cash and go for players that he knows will help his team succeed. To insure that his players are kept in a good environment during training camp, Arthur Blank used his own money, coming out of his own pocket, to build those buildings in Flowery Branch (the headquarters of Atlanta Falcons football). It's always being envied by other players in the league. Some teams like Kansas City just give the players a creaky bed to sleep on and a couple pillows, and that's that for them. The Falcons, on the other hand, have been provided spas, massage rooms, etc. by Arthur Blank himself.

I can't remember one instance where the ASG pulled money out of their own wallet to help this team succeed, and I don't think I'll ever see that happen to be honest. It's just really disappointing and sad to be a big fan of a team that had/has so much young talent and potential, a team that was almost 'there' and just needed one more push, but the owners just didn't want to help them out as much.

• 2 months later...
Alot depends on how Ryan fares as a pro qb. We will see.

I think Ryan will do fine if he doesn't get hurt. Most NFL officianados understand that the QB basically has to put the ball in a tight zone and the recievers are the guys who make it happen and get hit. There are exceptions to that rule - John Elway threw 100mph darts - so the main thing was just being able to catch it.

Ooops - i before e unless after c...."receivers".

Edited by DJlaysitup

Where the heck did this thread come from?

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Not the most optimistic thread I've seen. Usually threads like this get created when your team is 15 games under .500 and you want to vent a little. This is the time of year to be optimistic.

• Moderators
Two years ago I would have thought that, but now they are much better. Plus you have to remember the old days of Dominique and Spud. Besides, have the Bobcats ever done anything?

I guess it depends on your criteria. It sounds like you are arguing "who is the better franchise right now" as your criteria. If there is some other measure that ranks the Clips above the Hawks, it could only be "the last few years" instead of "right now." By the "right now" measure, when viewing which is the better "franchise in sports history" the Tampa Bay Rays are better than the New York Yankees. If the criteria is "the last few years," then the Los Angelas Angels of Anaheim rank above the Yankees as the better "franchise in sports history."

However, I don't think either of those is a meaningful criteria. If you look at which franchise is better in the big picture (which is where I think you need to look to view "sports history") then clearly the Hawks are much better than the Clips and the Yankees are much, much, much better than the Rays and much, much better than the Angels.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

There are arguments that Atlanta is the worst professional sports city. You could argue that the Thrashers are the worst hockey franchise in NHL history and possibly try to argue the Falcons as the worst in NFL history (although that is a stretch).

There is no basis for arguing that the Atlanta Hawks franchise is the worst franchise in the NBA - currently or historically.