• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Has The Boat Sailed On Randolph Morris?

Wurider05

I am not too familiar with this dude or his college game. Based you what you guys know about him what can we expect from this guy. Is there a legit reason he was chosen over Kwame Brown? Is it too late for him to become a good player or is he just taken up space??

Kwame: 2 years/$8 million.

Morris: 2 years/$1.7 million.

That's your "legit" reason.

Why is it that no one understands that we don't have 4 million to offer Kwame. He signed with the Pistons for crying out loud, not Memphis or Charlotte.

I am not too familiar with this dude or his college game. Based you what you guys know about him what can we expect from this guy. Is there a legit reason he was chosen over Kwame Brown? Is it too late for him to become a good player or is he just taken up space??

It's most certainly not too late for him to become a good player. He has a chance to improve, and he might take an interest in defense if he sees teammates playing it (as opposed to the Randolph/Curry/James demonstration he's seen till now).

Good signing after Kwame-Det-4million. I wonder who looked better in those ATL workouts?

The absolute miracle scenario would be for him to develop into a decent NBA starter. As much of a bust as Kwame is, I would still take him over Morris every day of the week, no questions asked. On a good team, Morris would be low on the rotation, maybe a 10th man or so. He will get some burn on our team due to size alone, and sadly enough, we need his help. But that is much more of an indication of our lack of size than it is of any skill of his. He is a very poor man's Jamaal Magloire. You never know with a guy that's young, but it is unlikely that he will become a significant factor. I'm looking at him as a guy with a center's body who can play D on real centers, get some boards and maybe scrape up a handful of points, but anything beyond that will be a bonus.

So now at the C we have the 3rd stringer (Morris), the backup (Zaza), the out of position part-timer (Horford), and all we need is a starter.

• Premium Member

No one is being honest here.

Kwame Brown and Randolph Morris were both Damage control. Just like us signing old a** Kenny Andersen and Kevin Willis in ASG's first yr, ASG is trying to connect with a hometown theme to get fans to come out. Sure, they fill a need, but as somebody said before, Morris will be bench fodder.

I'd rather we signed dudes from the SL team instead of you trying to hometown me.

Better yet, make a 3 year 9.5 Million dollar deal to Robert Swift and see if Seattle bites. At least Swift has good footwork already.

Now if having Morris will help us sign SMoove, Great.

However, I don't know if there's anything that he brings that will be better than Othello Hunter or Olejeda?

Agreed that over the years we've signed a string of folks that are marginal at best trying to fill out the roster and a lot of them are guys that hve some hometown connectiion and are seen as a feel good move. However, in reality they just didn't measure up to what we need.

But we need depth

Hopefully Randolph takes advantage of opportunity to play in his hometown. He is only 22 so he still has a shot to turn it around.

i know that but the guy I responded to said we need a starting center

Agreed that over the years we've signed a string of folks that are marginal at best trying to fill out the roster and a lot of them are guys that hve some hometown connectiion and are seen as a feel good move. However, in reality they just didn't measure up to what we need.

Well.. with the 7 man rotation Woody use (Evans, Zaza, Speedy if healthy)... any signings (good or bad) will go to waste since they won't have a chance to showcase themselves (even when they produce if given PT).

2 years at 1.7million, doesn't sound like a bad investment. He can body up and give us 6 free fouls. But you never know he might end up surprising us.

At the price the Hawks paid it is a very good investment. He brings excellent size and a decent amount of potential. I would much rather have Morris at 850 grand than Kwame at 4 million per year. I don't know if anyone ever watched him at Kentucky but he has a nice offensive game around the basket. As a matter of fact I think he was clearly better offensively than Horford was in college. He needs to work on his defense and his intensity. He has clearly made poor choices in his past that have hampered his value. Tubby Smith was a horrible choice simply for his style of coaching. Tubby is a system coach and guys like Rondo and Morris simply didn't fit his style. Then Morris ended up with New York with an idiot like Isiah Thomas and lots of poor examples like Curry, James, Randolf and Marbury. I think Morris can learn alot from playing with guys like Bibby, JJ and Horford who bring it every game and try to play the game the right way.

The 2nd thing getting Morris might do is allow the Hawks to move Zaza in any potential deals that might come up. Zaza is a 4 million a year expiring deal that teams might feel better taking on than Speedy.

Edited by tmac13

Oh no. We don't need to put Morris in a position where he's the first big off the bench. We definitely need to keep ZaZa unless we can find someone to replace his size and experience in our rotation.