• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I've spotted our Achilles Heal

gsuteke

We've got no interior game. Nada. Nothing.

When the rubber meets the road you've got to be able to pass the ball down low and make them stop you. THe Hawks shoot nothing but jumpers.

How long is this 55% 3 pt shooting going to last? Not long.

Does Mark Price teach a post up game as well?

I have been saying for years that we need a center with size who can play D. it showed tonight. Smith wasn't there to bail Horford and Zaza out and Lopez went off.

That is why we seriously need to sign Dikembe to short termly fix the problem. We will have to draft a big in the 1st or 2nd round (depending on Acie)

Well, Brook Lopez exposed us last night. I think he doubled his career high tonight. The post game definitely needs some work. But they'll get a chance to rectify it when they're playing them again less than 24 hours from now.

But yeah, I guess this reinforces the fact that we still need another big man. Not necessarily one who will start, but one that actually has some sort of post presence. They absolutely owned the post tonight.

The free throw shooting might bite us in the butt sometime later this year too.

The Hawks won 37 games last year without the three's. There's no reason to say they can't stay over 40% for the year. Adding Bibby for a whole season, adding Mo, adding Flip who can have hot streaks, and now Marvin with his new range they're clearly a much better 3pt shooting team. Smith may have even improved.

Our achilles heel is on defense. We can't stop huge centers. We can't stop quick guards. We can't stop superstars who live at the FT line. That's what killed us down the stretch last night. Every time we scored on offense we'd just foul on the other end.

Our problem right now is the same problem we had after the Bibby trade last season. At least on D (last night there was no problem on offense, we shot 47.5%). We play small ball so our offense is sleeker - that's why we've been weaker on D since Josh went out and that's why he had a massive defensive +/- last season. When Josh is out, Marv plays a lot of PF. Marv is a terrible defender in the post, both man and team. He's a good defender out on the perimeter, which is nice but still.

Look at last night. We played Zaza 13 minutes and Solo 19 minutes even though neither really had foul trouble. Solo swatted a few shots and altered a couple more, but we didn't keep him in. Before going into the game, we were talking about our advantages against NJ and size/skill in the front court was the biggest one we had. We didn't try to go big though and thats why we let a soft-rookie C take us.

Again, there is a reason Bropez played better against us than Brand, Dwight, and West. We didn't have our best interior defender there to clean up other guys' messes. When JS gets back we are going to be better on D and Woody's challenge then will be figuring out how to keep getting open looks on offense.

Our problem on offense, that I can see, is that the team fell in love with the J. Last season Marv and Josh would attack inside a lot more, even Al is shooting too much. We need to push that PnR and get some isos for Josh and Al early in the game so they can get to the line and get confident in that kind of attack. We also benefit in that our best defensive line should also be good in transition because Josh and Al complement eachother on D and both can run the floor, so when we do get that line out there and we are defending, we should push it.

• Premium Member
This is a longterm issue that needs some attention.

We cannot rely on an interior presence down low and we cannot stop it on the flip side.

This isn't just about this game folks. Good luck Woodson.

I think we should get a vet presence...

If I'm Woody, I'm doing what I can to get Sund to bring in McDyess. I would promise Dyess 3 more years at 7 million per after this one if he comes in this year. Seriously. That's about 4 Years 23 Million. Where else could he find that? And with him, we would be a contender.

In the meanwhile, next draft should be for a big big .

Can you say trade up for Thabeet??

If we can't get Dyess. then let's bring in Vokskhul.

• Premium Member
I think we should get a vet presence...

If I'm Woody, I'm doing what I can to get Sund to bring in McDyess. I would promise Dyess 3 more years at 7 million per after this one if he comes in this year. Seriously. That's about 4 Years 23 Million. Where else could he find that? And with him, we would be a contender.

McDyess isn't worth the consequences of getting caught for doing that. Plus, there's rumors that Cleveland is offering him a significant portion of their MLE, so if true the chances of landing him got even smaller.

They've got to do something.

My prediction for tonight. A big Hawks win. Harris was limping last night. He'll be even more limited going back to back. Lopez surely can't repeat what he did last night again.

Everyone will be happy in Hawks land. Everything will be hunky doorey. And we'll still have no post presence.

Freaking Eddy Curry would be an upgrade over what we've got now.

McDyess isn't worth the consequences of getting caught for doing that. Plus, there's rumors that Cleveland is offering him a significant portion of their MLE, so if true the chances of landing him got even smaller.

Not to mention that thats a panic move that makes Speedy look harmless. Offering 7 a year to a marginal 34 year old player is a shady move - especially considering our best inside player on both ends (last year at least, this season he isn't attacking in the halfcourt and drawing fouls) was missing.

Lets evaluate the team when the team is complete, no panic moves based on games that Josh is out.