• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preview in Review: The "Experts"

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

ESPN's panel of esteemed experts, and the rest of the free world:

The experts have predicted 37 wins (10th place in the East) for the Atlanta Hawks. This number is ...

38.6% On the money

33.7% Too low

27.7% Too high

Our dear friend, Mr. Hollinger, for ESPN:

Atlanta's starting five might be the best in the division, but its bench might not win the D-League. Triangulate between those two extremes and you end up with a team that's unlikely to repeat its playoff appearance of a year ago unless it enjoys an unusually good run of health, because the subs just aren't up to snuff.

Sum it all up, and it appears this club is ready to take a step in reverse. The Hawks look like they'll be stuck in the NBA's netherworld --- neither good enough to make the playoffs nor bad enough to get a high lottery pick -- and with little young talent in the pipeline beyond the current starting five, they could be in this pickle for a while.

Prediction: 31-51, fifth in Southeast Division, 13th in Eastern Conference

MSN/Fox Sports:

As talented as Atlanta's starters are, they can't do it all. At some point, you've got to turn to your reserves and be able to rely on them for production.

That remains an issue down in "Hotlanta," as they are truly only about seven deep. The rest of the bench consists of unproven youngsters and veteran point guard Speedy Claxton, who was unable to suit up all of last season and has only appeared in 42 games since signing with Atlanta in the summer of 2006.

With the pending improvements by multiple Eastern Conference clubs — including a few Southeast Division rivals — the Atlanta Hawks may have a tough time topping last season's record. In fact, it may not be farfetched to suggest they could even take a minor hit in the win column.

Expect flashes of brilliance, the downside of a late-lottery selection, or the upside of a consecutive first-round exit.

Prediction: 37-45, third in Southeast Division, eighth in Eastern Conference

O Canada! Some Tim Chisholm guy of TSN.ca weighs in from Down North, eh?

That is unfortunately the sad state of affairs with the Hawks. For every step they take forward, the organization seems intent on sullying it somehow. This summer was a borderline disaster even if they managed to resign Smith. They got little help elsewhere on the roster - choosing to fortify a position already occupied by 40-minute-per-night starter Johnson - and they lost a key rotation player by trying to low-ball him contractually. What results is a team that has gotten worse, not better, after a 37-win season got them into the playoffs, an occurrence that is unlikely to repeat itself.

So that means that unless this team can pull off some sort of trade or find a new, heretofore unseen depth to their game, they are going to be returning to the lottery for another crack at improving via the draft. It's a shame, too, because several young teams - Portland and Sacramento come to mind - would have loved to have used the chance to test out their core on the post-season stage so they could take the next-step as an organization. Atlanta, in the way that only they can, get there and decide to regress, perhaps feeling that too much, too soon is a bad thing.

Monsieur Chisholm also previewed his beloved Raptors:

By no stretch is this team in danger of losing ground to last year's disappointing 41-41 record, as just the quality in the top-five should keep them above .500

~lw3

It's so funny. I bet many of these people rarely even watch the Hawks. All these "experts" know is what comes on TNT and ESPN Primetime, then their "expert" opinion has them on the Rockets bandwagon. The same people who advocated Nash for back-to-back MVP. Pure morons on the game of Hooping.

• Premium Member

When Childress was playing in the NBA 'experts' would talk about him being one of Knights screwed up lottery picks. After Childress bolted to play overseas all the 'experts' talked about how the Hawks couldn't rebound from losing him. Luckily the 'experts' had one of my friends seriousily doubting the Hawks and we had a nice little wager about the Hawks winning 45 games. He thought it was insane at the time--but here we are with 46 wins and 2 more games to play. Thanks 'experts'!

I thought we'd have a better year than last year based on sheer momentum from taking Boston to 7. I say that because I thought that would get ATLiens excited about their Hawks, they'd go to the games, the players would see this and get hyped at home. Things are nice in Phillips now, but I never saw a 4 seed. Then again, who did??

• Premium Member

I predicted 50 wins. Not waaay off but maybe a little inflated. We coughed up a few that could've made this a 50 win season. But I knew for a fact that we were going to make the Playoffs. I don't see how anyone could say that we weren't at least good enough to be among the top 8 teams in the East. That's just ridiculous.

I knew we'd make playoffs because the East is so shallow. We weren't near the top three and I would have guessed that. I wouldn't have guessed that we would be the "best of the rest" in the East.

All I know is that regular season doesn't matter. If we out performed what the experts said we would last year with a horrid regular season. . . .what can we do this year with a little more confidence??

It's funny how the experts always seem to contradict this forum's opinions...

Yet another example... Just watched a video where Charles Barkley said Atlanta would clearly beat Philly, but might loose to Miami.

I actually agree with Charles on this one. Wade is a player that can dominate a game, not to mention a series. When looking at matchups, I think the Hawks should be scared to face Miami rather than Philly.

Anyway, honestly, I predicted this team to be the 5-6 seed. They exceeded my expectations but it still feels like we could have done better....

I give a lot of credit to what the Hawks did this season but I'm not going to say I'm proud of them until we see them at least past the first round.

I actually agree with Charles on this one. Wade is a player that can dominate a game, not to mention a series. When looking at matchups, I think the Hawks should be scared to face Miami rather than Philly.

Anyway, honestly, I predicted this team to be the 5-6 seed. They exceeded my expectations but it still feels like we could have done better....

I give a lot of credit to what the Hawks did this season but I'm not going to say I'm proud of them until we see them at least past the first round.

But isn't Philly a more complete team? I mean Wade is incredible, but that goes only so far.

Philly has a fairly nice supporting cast around Iggy, but Wade's cast are either too young or just wash ups.

I say by the time first round playoff games start Wade is going to be too worn out to do heavy damage.

I'm pretty sure I had this team winning more than 40 but less than 50 this year, can't remember exactly. Probably 42. I know I made that prediction based on the simple fact that we have improved every year since the 13 win season. Unlike the national media, I didn't think that Chillz leaving our bench = no bench at all. But yeah, common sense tells you that a young team like this is going to steadily improve until the core reaches their peak, which is probably 1-2 seasons away from happening. But yeah, I definitely had our record better than last year.

Benhillboy is right, I really wouldn't be surprised if the most that some experts had seen of the Hawks before the 07-08 Playoffs was our 25-second highlight on NBA Fastbreak or something of that ilk and made their prediction based on that.

Sadly, I was one of those who thought we weren't going to repeat what we did last season (playoffs) either... I just thought Childress was too big of a loss, and who knew Flip had this much left in him? Not to mention the Wonderful Woodson was back. It may be the contract year, or it may be something else... but whatever Flip's having for breakfast, I want to have some myself!

If this old man's memory, which ain't too good at best, serves me right, I said

we should win at least half our games this season. That would be a 41-41

record. And, I was hoping for a few more.

Sure, we lost Childress - - and that hurt.

We had Bibby for a full season. Without major injuries, winning half of our games

seemed to me to be a real possibility. Our baby Hawks were growing up!

And, as we all know, they have.

:biggrin:

GO HAWKS!!!

• Premium Member

These people have to make predictions on every team in the league.

Obviously at times they will be off. I don't see why people enjoy throwing everything back on their face. These people spend their entire day analyzing basketball, and they give their opinions. If these people could predict every teams' record they would be out making billions of dollars on bets instead of giving their opinions.

These guys are paid to give opinions. Not predictions. It's a totally BS job, for sure, but its not in its description that they need to be right all the time... or any of the time for that matter. The fact people post their stuff all over the internet making fun off them is what keeps them their job, so you are probably off better not mentioning them if your goal is to spite them.

It's funny how the experts always seem to contradict this forum's opinions...

Yet another example... Just watched a video where Charles Barkley said Atlanta would clearly beat Philly, but might loose to Miami.

Charles is being real. Wade is a superior talent. He can go for 50 on any given night. He's active on the boards, for a guard. And he can block shots. He has Cook who can hit the open 3 when it drives and penetrates, Haslem who gives us fits and Beasley (the young wild card who will want to make a name for himself. Wade is an infectious talent. His drive can motivate his teammates. Remember his rookie year (pre-Shaq)? Lastly, but more importantly, the "zebras" will be on his side. I refuse to underestimate them the way us Falcon fans underestimated Arizona and Kurt Warner.

Fear of Miami is warranted because the NBA after all is a star driven league, Philly may be more balanced but not one player actually scares you. Having an inidividual reach super human levels in the playoffs is far more believable than an entire team achieving synchronicity. Outside of the Pistons I can't think of a recent champion thats trully done it on pure team ball but seeing as how both Iverson and Lebron have made it to the finals with little more than tomato cans surrounding them I don't discount Wade at all. But hey, we seem to be doing just fine as underdogs :rolleyes: