• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The rant that Woody should make to most Hawk fans

TheNorthCydeRises

And the thing is . . . Woody now has a 7 - 7 playoff record . . and it still makes him the coach with the best playoff winning percentage since the Hawks have been in Atlanta.

And he's the first coach in 38 years to win a 7-game playoff series.

Woody will get a 4 year deal, and there's not too much anybody can do about it, because we won't get swept by the Cavs.

Sure, I like that we are in the playoffs and all, but we still lack an offensive identity, we dont play consistently, he runs Joe into the ground, won't adequately discipline Josh Smith, doesnt pick-and-roll nearly enough with such a great pick and roll PG, doesnt develop the bench enough, and he still second-guesses himself with substitutions.

I dont care what anyone says...we deserve a better coach.

Oh, and that video fails because Woodson is bald. I'm just saying...

Sure, I like that we are in the playoffs and all, but we still lack an offensive identity, we dont play consistently, he runs Joe into the ground, won't adequately discipline Josh Smith, doesnt pick-and-roll nearly enough with such a great pick and roll PG, doesnt develop the bench enough, and he still second-guesses himself with substitutions.

I dont care what anyone says...we deserve a better coach.

Oh, and that video fails because Woodson is bald. I'm just saying...

I know Truth. I know. ( rolling eyes )

Brotha2thaNite's poll is showing just how ungrateful the fans truly are. Because even if we beat the Cavs, Woody still won't get any credit, because people truly hate him. It's kind of like with Marvin. Even if Marvin turns out to be a 19 - 21 ppg scorer, some on this site will still be unsatisfied with him, until he becomes an all-star.

With Woody, he'll literally have to get us to the NBA Finals THIS YEAR, for the majority of the fan base to respect him. But if we got swept by the Lakers in the Finals, people would still call for his head.

That's why the cartoon is accurate. And that site doesn't have a bald guy I could use for Woody, so I picked that particular character.

I mean, this time last year, when we got knocked out of the playoffs, everybody and their mother was a better coach than Woody.

- D'Antoni was

- Porter was

- Skiles was

- the coach from the movie Semi-Pro was.

Some of you guys act like ANY COACH would be better. All I know is that Woody hasbeen right from DAY 1, with his constant preaching about defense and rebounding. If the team would completely buy into the fact that they have to play DEFENSE at a high level every night, they'd be a much better team, regardless of the struggles on offense.

We'd be the 2003 Pistons . . a team poised to make that final leap to gettiing to the NBA Finals. Even when the offense sucks, the defense should still be there.

I tried to post this about 4 days ago, in that thread making fun of Woody before Game 5. I didn't have this video transferred to youtube then. It is now though.

Woody would never say this in real life, but he's probably thinking this nonetheless.

That's totally f***in awesome.

Some of you guys act like ANY COACH would be better. All I know is that Woody hasbeen right from DAY 1, with his constant preaching about defense and rebounding. If the team would completely buy into the fact that they have to play DEFENSE at a high level every night, they'd be a much better team, regardless of the struggles on offense.

We'd be the 2003 Pistons . . a team poised to make that final leap to gettiing to the NBA Finals. Even when the offense sucks, the defense should still be there.

Yea except he's had 5 years to get the team to "completely buy into the fact that they have to play DEFENSE at a high level every night" and we're still one of the most inconsistent teams in the NBA. The Hawks are still awful on the road. And completely immature.

Woody has absolutely no ability to adjust whatsoever. His switching D works most of the time but when someone is lighting us up he does NOTHING. He just prays that they start missing. A monkey can do that.

Don't even get me started on his so called 'offense'.

And lets not forget about his inability to develop players or a bench. You really think we can get to the NBA finals 8 or 9 deep?

If Woody somehow parlays our 7 game series win over a team we should of beaten in 5 into another contract extension this offseason I will literally cry. Because I know as long as Woody is here i will be forced to watch a team with no maturity, smarts, or savvy. And we will be lucky to ever make it to a conference finals...let alone the NBA finals.

• Moderators
All I know is that Woody hasbeen right from DAY 1, with his constant preaching about defense and rebounding.

This is basketball 101. I'm not sure preaching defense and rebounding is a sign of a good coach. It just means you're not Bob Weiss (sorry Bob). I've wanted Woody gone many times but I'll stand up and give him a lot of credit for the Hawks reaching their goals this year. He's done a good job and grown as a head coach. That doesn't mean he doesn't still have problems or that we couldn't do better. Did you see Josh Smith get the ball in the low post yesterday and score several times. How many times did we see that play this season (or after the first quarter yesterday)? Maybe 8?

But every coach has issues and I was thinking the one guy that Woody deserves a lot of credit for developing is Zaza. Whatever he did worked with Zaza. He was a low post chucker and flopper with no defense when he got here. Now he's a bruiser and a helluva rebounder. He was even blocking out on the defensive glass yesterday.

Pat Riley used to say when he was with the Lakers that he'd coach as long as Magic was playing PG for him. I know Woody feels the same about Bibby. Bibby has some short comings sure but he's made this offense work.

The Hawks offense is a train wreck. the ball movement sucks. Just because the Hawks beat an inferior team in 7 games doesn't change that.

Smith is still jacking threes and leading the break and Woody is too stupid or too much of a pansy to do anything about it.

Woody has no concept of foul management. The Hawks hardly ever foul out because Woody apparently thinks that he'll be put on double secret probation if anyone fouls out.

:sad:

Edited by exodus

The Hawks offense is a train wreck. the ball movement sucks. Just because the Hawks beat an inferior team in 7 games doesn't change that.

Smith is still jacking threes and leading the break and Woody is too stupid or too much of a pansy to do anything about it.

Woody has no concept of foul management. The Hawks hardly ever foul out because Woody apparently thinks that unused fouls are like rollover minutes and carry over to the next game.

Wow! Mark Bradley of the AJC used the adjective "Great" to describe Woody. Granted, just one instance....but that's a first to me!!! lol :

Game tied, first quarter, 10 seconds left, Heat ball. Woodson — whom I’ve sought to fire a half-dozen times — called for his men to give a foul, which Zaza did. And Woodson inserted Mario West, who harassed Wade into a lousy crosscourt pass that Mike Bibby intercepted. And James Jones fouled Bibby, who made a pair to give the Hawks a lead they’d never lose. Great coaching.

Woody has no concept of foul management. The Hawks hardly ever foul out because Woody apparently thinks that he'll be put on double secret probation if anyone fouls out.

Wow. So the Hawks not fouling out is just another reason why he is a bad coach?

It's funny. On one hand, the fans wants to see the bench players develop, by way of more playing time. The argument is that guys like Acie, Mario and Solo should all be getting playing time, and take a few minutes away from JJ, Bibby, and Smoove.

On the other hand, when Woody tries to protect his players from getting in foul trouble ( especially in the first half when they pick up 2 fouls ), the fan base has a MAJOR problem with that, because it keeps the starters on the bench and forces the bench players to play and step up. Those very bench players that everyone wants to see play.

As for Smoove, it's a known FACT that Woody hates it when Smith jacks up a bunch of threes. You not only see his displeasure about it when you watch the Hawks on TV, you DEFINITELY SEE IT when you're at a game live, and happen to look at the bench when Smith jacks up a 3.

That's why Smith seems to stay pissed at Woody all the time. Because Woody is always telling him to stop doing that ish. You see him all the time, with that whining look on his face, after Woody has told him something that he doesn't like.

For Woody, it's always been "damned if he does . . damned if he doesn't."

It's kind of hilarious actually.

Yea except he's had 5 years to get the team to "completely buy into the fact that they have to play DEFENSE at a high level every night" and we're still one of the most inconsistent teams in the NBA. The Hawks are still awful on the road. And completely immature.

Woody has absolutely no ability to adjust whatsoever. His switching D works most of the time but when someone is lighting us up he does NOTHING. He just prays that they start missing. A monkey can do that.

Don't even get me started on his so called 'offense'.

And lets not forget about his inability to develop players or a bench. You really think we can get to the NBA finals 8 or 9 deep?

If Woody somehow parlays our 7 game series win over a team we should of beaten in 5 into another contract extension this offseason I will literally cry. Because I know as long as Woody is here i will be forced to watch a team with no maturity, smarts, or savvy. And we will be lucky to ever make it to a conference finals...let alone the NBA finals.

In the end, it doesn't matter though. Because when the team plays well, all of the praise is placed on the players. And when the team plays bad, all of the blame is placed on the coach. It's hardly ever any "both coach and players did a good job or a bad job tonight". It's always either one or the other.

Can we get to the NBA Finals going 8 or 9 deep? Hmmm . . let's see how much of the bench the other coaches have been playing players in the playoffs.

CLEVELAND ( 9 deep )

Daniel Gibson and Joe Smith are the main rotation guys off the bench that play over 20 minutes a game. Big Ben is the 8th man. Wally Sczcerbiak is the 9th man. Neither Ben or Wally average more than 12 minutes a game duriing the playoffs, and might average less, if the games were closer . . especially Wally, who hardly played in Game 3 ( the game that was the closest in that series )

BOSTON ( 8 deep . . with spot play from 2 others )

Eddie House and Stephon Marbury are the only Boston bench players who have played in every game this postseason. Leon Powe's injury forced Doc Rivers to play other guys, mainly Brian Scalabrine, who didn't even play in the first 2 games, and got 3 minutes in Game 3. He's the 8th man now. Tony Allen and Mikie Moore while getting very limited spot minutes, haven't played in every game in the series either.

ORLANDO ( 7 deep . . with added play from an 8th man, since the Courtney Lee injury)

Anthony Johnson and Mikael Pietrus are their main rotation guys off the bench. JJ Redick played a TOTAL of 12 minutes in the first 4 games, before Lee's injury saw his time dramatically jump to 30 minutes a game in the final 2 games. Martin Gortat will see time, usually depending on D-Howard being in foul trouble. His performance with Howard out in Game 6, might get him more PT though.

LA LAKERS ( 9 deep )

Sasha Vujacic, Shannon Brown, and now Andrew Bynum ( who has been benched in place of Lamar Odom, although I'd imagine Phil may start Bynum against Yao tonight ), are his core 8, with Luke Walton being the 9th man. Since Walton is out, his minutes now go to Josh Powell. Farmar hardly ever plays anymore. He only played 4 minutes in each in the first 2 games. 3 DNP's since.

HOUSTON ( 8 deep, now that Dikembe is out . . with spot play from a 9th guy )

Von Wafer, Carl Landry, and Kyle Lowry are your main guys off the bench. If a 9th man plays, it will be Chuck Hayes, who you may see for 2- 4 minutes stretches in each half.

DENVER ( 9 deep )

J.R. Smith, "Birdman" Andersen, and Anthony Carter are going to be your main guys off the bench. Linas Kleiza will see time in every game as well.

DALLAS ( 8 deep . . with a possible 9th man thrown into the mix from time to time )

6th man of the year Jason Terry, Brandon Bass, and now Antoine Wright ( since Barea has been promoted to be a starter ), are your main guys off the bench. Depending on the situation, you'll also usually see Ryan Hollins in the game, as Dampier's backup. Especially when Damp gets in foul trouble. Having said that, Hollins has had 2 games in the playoffs in which he's only played 1 minute.

ATLANTA ( 8 deep with Marvin healthy . . 7 deep with spot minutes from an 8th guy, when he's not )

Of course, our rotation off the bench is Flip, Zaza, and Mo. Since the Marvin injury, we've seen that 8th man in the rotation being filled by either Solo or Mario. The luxury with the Hawks, is that we have a lot of guys who can PLAY AND GUARD 2 positions, if called upon to do so.

Flip can handle both the point and the 2. Mo can handle the 2 and the 3. And Zaza is the backup center that allows Horford to handle both the 4 and the 5. Even JJ's ability to handle both the 2 and the 3, plus be the offensive faciliator at times, is an added bonus to this team.

So while others may want to see Solo and Acie and Mario get more time, you can easily . . EASILY see why they don't.