• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Acie Law IV

Wurider05

I keep reading all these reports that we need a point guard and about us possibly drafting a point guard. What about Acie Law. I mean we seriously haven't seen what he can do but yet we want to label him a bust. I mean Woody will destroy anyone's confidence and how can anyone be a good pg or become one when there is no offense to run. I remember hearing Sund on 790 earlier in the year and he stated that when Acie gets minutes he produces and that he was a victim of circumstance when they signed Bibby (hopefully he doesn't come back) and Flip. So we may just lose Bibby and not get a pg. Hell Flip, Acie, and West can probably hold down the position. There is no guarantee Flip will come back. He will probably go to the highest bidder like Posey did. And don't forget who we are talking about here: the ASG. I just don't see them paying everyone this offseason.

The big game changer is if we get a new coach which I doubt.

Edited by Wurider05

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I'm with it, we've got a player sitting on the bench equivalent to or greater than half the PGs in the draft yet we are looking to get rid of him. I posted on this in the we need a guard post that I believe in him but we still got to bring in a vet so that we are still competitive now but with a greater emphasis on grooming him than we had the last two seasons. It's up to Sund to construct this roster with Acie in mind and I'm not worried about Woody in the least. Last I checked job security trumped a guys personal vendetta against players.

Here is the deal, as long as Woodson is here, Acie will NOT get a chance. No one thinks Acie is a world beater, but he is a PG that, if nothing else, is a POSSIBLE answer to our PG situation.

Thing is, Woodson has given up on him, and therefore, he is no longer a viable answer to our PG situation. Therefore, it is not a stretch for fans to think of other alternatives to finding the right PG to lead this team.

I like Acie, and I believe he could be ok with a structured offense. Woodson will not give him a chance, nor do we have a structured offense. I fully expect the Acie Law experiment (or lack thereof) to be over as Acie is either dealt or is allowed to walk.

• Premium Member

Acie has to PROVE that he can run a team and be durable just like any of the projected PG draftees. The only difference is Acie's been in the league for two seasons and we still aren't sure if he's a bust or a potential gem that's been buried on the bench. So far, I haven't been all that impressed with his performance to be completely honest. I really thought he was the most "NBA ready" guard in the draft, but he has yet to live up to that designation. He got a lot of time early and was even given the starting job, and showed some signs, but he couldn't stay healthy long enough to become a fixture. That's why BK brought in Bibby the latter part of last season. I don't want to give up on Acie, but I'm not opposed to drafting a PG in the upcoming draft since there are so many good prospects coming out. We just can't afford to lose Bibby and have to depend solely on Acie when you don't know what you're going to get from the guy.

And a PG at #19 or 20 can be counted on even more?

Eh, the fact of the matter is that we have done a terrible disservice to Acie. At this point, he should have been given the time to develop so that, if nothing else, we would know whether he is truly a PG who can lead or is just another failed project.

Thing is, we don't know, Bibby needs to go, and barring a trade, we would be hinging our hopes on a PG drafted late in the 1st round who, while promising, will likely take time to develop (which Woodson shows he cannot adequately do with young talent).

Not a good situation at all.

Bibby isn't going to get 15 mill again, simple as that. I don't see him being back next season. That being said, i'd go for having Acie as our PG. I actually like him. He'll be cheap, so we have more room on the cap for free agents and other possible trades.

• Premium Member
And a PG at #19 or 20 can be counted on even more?

Eh, the fact of the matter is that we have done a terrible disservice to Acie. At this point, he should have been given the time to develop so that, if nothing else, we would know whether he is truly a PG who can lead or is just another failed project.

Thing is, we don't know, Bibby needs to go, and barring a trade, we would be hinging our hopes on a PG drafted late in the 1st round who, while promising, will likely take time to develop (which Woodson shows he cannot adequately do with young talent).

Not a good situation at all.

Don't forget, we don't necessarily have to settle for the #19 or #20 spot. We have the assets to move up in this draft. We also are not sure how much money Bibby will want anyway. He could come fairly cheap, so all of this speculation could be moot. Just because I'm not opposed to drafting a PG doesn't mean that I prefer it. I'd actually prefer re-signing Bibby to a much more reasonable contract, or picking up a free agent (Jack/Sessions/Miller) if Bibby can't be re-signed, or drafting a PG if the other options don't work out. Either way, I don't want to have to rely solely on Law as THE guy when he has yet to prove that he belongs and I'm pretty sure Sund and Woody feel the same way.

If, and I do mean IF, we target a PG in this year's draft, I strongly feel that we absolutely need to move up in the draft to do it. Standing pat at #19 and hinging our hopes on that guy is not going to cut it. If we do that, we have to trust in Woodson to actually play the guy and develop him--something he has proven he cannot do.

I feel that Bibby will want too much anyway, and even if he didnt, we need to let Bibby go.

As you correctly stated, we can't hinge our hopes on Law because he hasn't proven he can do the job with full-time minutes--it would be risky as hell to even go that route.

I would rather trade for a proven PG like Hinrich or something to stabilize the PG position because any other way we go leaves us with a no-defense playing one-trick pony in Bibby, a young draftee that Woodson will likely not develop adequately, or Acie who has proven nothing more than that he is good at riding the pine.

Acie may come real cheap, but at his current level, he isn't the most attractive option.

Here is the deal, as long as Woodson is here, Acie will NOT get a chance. No one thinks Acie is a world beater, but he is a PG that, if nothing else, is a POSSIBLE answer to our PG situation.

Thing is, Woodson has given up on him, and therefore, he is no longer a viable answer to our PG situation. Therefore, it is not a stretch for fans to think of other alternatives to finding the right PG to lead this team.

I like Acie, and I believe he could be ok with a structured offense. Woodson will not give him a chance, nor do we have a structured offense. I fully expect the Acie Law experiment (or lack thereof) to be over as Acie is either dealt or is allowed to walk.

I agree with everything you said!

I'm a Law fan and believe he could be the answer but with Woody as coach.... i'm giving up on the hope to see him shine as a Hawk :sad:

They are going to keep Woody. They will not pay him to not coach this team so that means.... No Law :shake_puter:

I haven't given up on Acie but I have given up on him under Woodson.

I think it's a good idea to draft a young PG in this draft b/c

A) we may need one depending on the next year or so for Acie

B) this draft is extremely deep at the position

Patty Mills or Jonny Flynn, come home to Atlanta!

Both Sekou and the Boston Globe seem to think we're trading Acie Law. Where there's smoke, there's a trade.

Add Acie to the list of draft misses of Billy Knightmare. Chills, Marvin, Shelden, Acie. If we dont whiff as bad as we did on just two of those picks, we could have been MUCH better at this point.

Woodson hates young point guards. Why do you think we drafted Marv and then Shellhead? Woody was in Knights ear that he did not want the team run by a rookie. Why do you think we signed Speedy? Why do you think we traded for Anthony Johnson? Why do you think we played Lue and Johnson and not Law even before Bibby got here? Why do you think we signed Flip Murray?

Woodson hates young point guards. Why do you think we drafted Marv and then Shellhead? Woody was in Knights ear that he did not want the team run by a rookie. Why do you think we signed Speedy? Why do you think we traded for Anthony Johnson? Why do you think we played Lue and Johnson and not Law even before Bibby got here? Why do you think we signed Flip Murray?

...and why he played Childress at the point,which was always %100 of the time totally innefective, before he played Acie

• Moderators

I agree with you guys but to give Woody the benefit of the doubt we fans may not know what Acie can do but Woody feels like he does. He's had him in practice for two years. I don't credit Woody with much but so far we haven't lost any of these bench guys and seen them do anything.

We've got a least one more year and need to prepare ourselves for no drastic changes. No team in the nba will be spending much money especially the Hawks. But guys like Bibby and Flip may not find the contracts they want.

• Moderators
I agree with you guys but to give Woody the benefit of the doubt we fans may not know what Acie can do but Woody feels like he does. He's had him in practice for two years. I don't credit Woody with much but so far we haven't lost any of these bench guys and seen them do anything.

We've got a least one more year and need to prepare ourselves for no drastic changes. No team in the nba will be spending much money especially the Hawks. But guys like Bibby and Flip may not find the contracts they want.

I think Boris Diaw is the one guy who has gone on to bigger and better things post-Woodson (i.e., poorly utilized in Atlanta but valued in Pho and by Larry Brown).

Nevertheless, I agree with this partially. I do think our lack of an offensive system is a killer for a guy with a game like Acie. I don't think that means Acie will be a stud because, like macdaddy says, it is notable that no one other than Diaw has gone from an underutilized guy under Woodson to a bigger, better player for another team. I hope Acie is not the first (and that he blossoms here in Atlanta).

look at the rockets, after they traded away alston.. brooks stepped up and was a key role to their team taking the lakers to 7..you have to be on the court to have an impact

law should get an actual chance to control the offense before we declare him a bust..