• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I can't think of any good reason to resign Bibby..

AtLaS

First of all I'm a huge Bibby fan, and was glad we got him when we did. And, he has made us a much better team. But, he's already 31 and clearly on the decline, his defense is so bad that we'll never be able to have a great defense, which is needed to be a contender. It also locks us into being a jumpshooting team for the next 3-4 years, meaning we will remain one of the most inconsistent teams in the NBA.

We don't use him right. We play him like an SG in our offense when he's a dominant pick and roll PG, and always has been. It makes no sense, but again nothing does when discussing Woodson and offense.

If we resign him, how do we get better? That means Acie will never get a chance, and any PG we acquire will be his backup and not see the floor enough. I'd much rather take a risk in the draft on one, sign an FA, or make a trade. Flynn is going to be a stud and if I was Sund I would be working the phones to trade up for the guy.

I just don't think we should lock ourselves into an aging PG who doesn't play defense for the next 3-4 years. Contending teams are not made without taking risks.

Edited by AtLaS

Only two ways I would entertain keeping Bibby:

1) We utilize him as the true pick-and-roll PG that he is

2) He wants no more than 5 or 6 million a year

Since #1 won't happen as long as Woodson is the coach, and #2 is nothing but a pipe dream, we need to look elsewhere.

And this is coming from a Bibby fan.

And even if you keep him under those conditions, he still:

1) Doesnt play defense

and 2) Is on the wrong side of 30.

• Premium Member
First of all I'm a huge Bibby fan, and was glad we got him when we did. And, he has made us a much better team. But, he's already 31 and clearly on the decline, his defense is so bad that we'll never be able to have a great defense, which is needed to be a contender. It also locks us into being a jumpshooting team for the next 3-4 years, meaning we will remain one of the most inconsistent teams in the NBA.

We don't use him right. We play him like an SG in our offense when he's a dominant pick and roll PG, and always has been. It makes no sense, but again nothing does when discussing Woodson and offense.

If we resign him, how do we get better? That means Acie will never get a chance, and any PG we acquire will be his backup and not see the floor enough. I'd much rather take a risk in the draft on one, sign an FA, or make a trade. Flynn is going to be a stud and if I was Sund I would be working the phones to trade up for the guy.

I just don't think we should lock ourselves into an aging PG who doesn't play defense for the next 3-4 years. Contending teams are not made without taking risks.

Let's get this understanding first...

Acie was threw once BK was fired and Woody was kept. I really get the feel that Acie was BK's guy. By that same token, I think BK didn't really want Bibby here, he would have rather got somebody cheap and let Acie come into his own. Still, point is that Woody didn't want Acie... and it shows. Unfortunately, I believe Acie will go somewhere, get a chance and be a very good PG.

I'm on the bus with you about Bibby. We don't play pick and roll or pick and fade, so what's the use of having Bibby. Bibby prolly does like the guys. The problem is that Woody has let Bibby be a jumpshooter. To Bibby, he sees longevity. He was probably less injured with us than he has been for the past 5 years of his career. That's because we don't expect him to run around picks.

Felton is where we probably should look. He has work ethic, he plays defense, and he's quick. You could ask for more, but why.

• Premium Member

Bibby's legs are shot, his defense against quick point guards this entire season and esp. the post season just exposed it. I like Bibby's ability to knock down big shots but we really need to go in a different younger direction at point.

• Premium Member

I don' think re-signing Bibby locks us into mediocrity at all. We've only improved since he's been here and I see no reason for that trend to stop. If we can re-sign him to a much more reasonable contract and draft our point of the future, we'll be fine. Bibs played well for us last season and into the postseason and he held up reasonably well despite heavy minutes so he's shown he can be solid for us. If he agrees to a reasonable contract, there's no reason to NOT entertain the idea of re-signing him.

Signing Bibs means retooling the roster. For Bibs to be relevant it is as a pg on offense and the lesser guard on defense. So we would have to have another guard on the cour to defend the "quicker than Bibs" Point Guard. Two 6'2-3" guys will not do. Move Acie, get a Crittenden who can defend with the quicks and length that Bibs does not have. Joe moves to the three which means Marvin or JSmith is moved. Sign Boozer first.

I like Felton, Sessions and Westbrook.

• Premium Member
I don' think re-signing Bibby locks us into mediocrity at all. We've only improved since he's been here and I see no reason for that trend to stop. If we can re-sign him to a much more reasonable contract and draft our point of the future, we'll be fine. Bibs played well for us last season and into the postseason and he held up reasonably well despite heavy minutes so he's shown he can be solid for us. If he agrees to a reasonable contract, there's no reason to NOT entertain the idea of re-signing him.

I think the phrase locks us into mediocrity is really saying:

1. We are dependent on Bibby having a good game for us to win.

If this playoff year showed anything, it showed that we are a 1 trick pony on the offense and it's really easy to stop our show. Iso offense is so easy to stop, just double the iso guy. That's what Both Miami and Lebron did to us. They both doubled Joe and made the other castmates try and beat them. Because we're not a good offensive team (we don't run plays or have sets), we were dependent on above average shooting by Bibby. I give Bibby his credit, he shot the ball very well in the playoffs, but I don't want to be dependent on that. I would much rather have us run offensive plays. But our problem with Bibby is not offensive....

2. Bibby kills our defense.

Bibby's defense is turrible (in my best Charles Barkley voice). Just turrible. RIght now, we are on the cusp of being one of the better defensive teams in the league. Sure Smoove needs work but he's getting better.. but most of all our overall team defense is being killed by Bibby's inability to stop anybody. I looked outside and Cook is still wide open for the three. I looked out my other window and I saw Mo Williams wide open for a three. And Delonte west too. Our problem with Cleveland wasn't just Lebron. When you watched the games, you would see times when the 2nd team would come in and go on a run. That's because Williams could start that Curl into the lane and be wide open taking a shot. It was very simple basketball, he'd go baseline and come up through the lane on the curl and be wide open for the shot. Bibby was no where to be found. I had just wished that we would have just played a 2-3 zone.. but even then, they would have probably overloaded Bibby's side and killed us from there.

Flip wasn't a much better defender, but when he played, our defense was a little better. It's scary to think of what we could be if we had a real defensive PG... A real defensive PG would stop those guys from attack our soft innards.

This issue boils down the future of our offense. If we keep Woody how is our offense going to change? We practically run no offensive sets whatsoever. So do we want a true point guard or a combo guard at the point? IMO Bibby is more of a combo guard than true point (I don't recall his assists numbers being that great even on those high scoring Kings teams). Bibby's strengths on this team are his ability to shoot the three, clutch shooting, and good chemistry with the rest of the roster (he appears to be well liked). Bibby's weaknesses are his poor D, average passings skills for a point, age, and likely contract demands. Bibby succeeded here because he was able to nail jumpers when our offense stalled out and dragged on till the end of the shot clock. IMO, Bibby is a better skilled T. Lue. What would a true point provide given there is no offensive sets to run? Would a true point be an offensive coach on the floor? Would a guy who could consistantly set up his teammates be more valuable than a good three point threat? I am worried about what a true point could accomplish here given our current offensive gameplan and coaching. I am leaning toward wanting a combo-guard who could cover up for some of Bibby's weaknesses.

A Randy Foye, Jarrett Jack, type player may fit in well here. I think Toney Douglas should be a guy we look closely at to draft. It is sad that we may never know whether Law could have been the guy.

Mike Bibby stayed healthy this season. I cannot see that happening two years in a row.

He has only been injured (forced to miss multiple games) twice in his entire 11 year career. Anticipating an injury is foolish because he isn't injury-prone like Craig or Acie. Bibby has 6 seasons where he played every game and 9 seasons where he missed 3 games or less. Now what makes you think he would get injured?

He has only been injured (forced to miss multiple games) twice in his entire 11 year career. Anticipating an injury is foolish because he isn't injury-prone like Craig or Acie. Bibby has 6 seasons where he played every game and 9 seasons where he missed 3 games or less. Now what makes you think he would get injured?

He plays hurt. He really stayed healthy this season but his last 3 seasons in Sactown he always had nagging injuries that hurt his game. I will give him credit for playing hurt but you could see the way it dropped his game. He was playing hurt a couple times for us last year even in the Boston series.

Edited by NJHAWK

there are two trains of thought....we keep the existing team for the most part and hope that one more year of development gets us further...or we recognize weaknesses and assess those...

i am for the latter...i think we can see that even further development cannot hide our weaknesses...adn in the playoffs teams will continue to attack weaknesses.. and bibby's defense is a weakness.....more than some of believe....his weakness on d killed us...teams drove on us in the playoffs and our big men had to help out as opposed to concentrate on their man or rebound...so then we played off and they hit jumpshots...kills us.

oh and i say this being a bibby fan. he isn't going to get any quicker on defense.

I think the phrase locks us into mediocrity is really saying:

1. We are dependent on Bibby having a good game for us to win.

2. Bibby kills our defense.

These two points are pretty much what I meant. Keeping Bibby means we stay a jumpshooting team. Jumpshooting teams are extremely inconsistent if they don't have someone that can drive or a great big man. Shooting is definitely required to be a great team, but if that's all you can do you'll be in trouble. That would be our situation.

Bibby also just really hurts us on defense and there's no chance we can be a contender with him playing 30+ minutes at PG, since we aren't good enough in other areas to make up for it.

IMO Bibby is more of a combo guard than true point (I don't recall his assists numbers being that great even on those high scoring Kings teams). Bibby's strengths on this team are his ability to shoot the three, clutch shooting, and good chemistry with the rest of the roster (he appears to be well liked). Bibby's weaknesses are his poor D, average passings skills for a point, age, and likely contract demands.

The Bibby/Webber PnR's were a think of beauty. It was unstoppable. But, Webber was also a great passer so many times he'd dish it again and Bibby wouldn't get the assist even though he set the play up. Bibby is easily a top 5 PnR PG in the NBA, but we don't use him that way. Everytime we do, it seems Horford/Smith get a dunk. You can just see his ability to find the man after the screen, or hit the open jumper if his man goes under the screen. It's really a shame.

However, I still think we shouldn't resign him for the other reasons I previously stated. Plus I really think Acie can be a much better player than he's shown, he just needs to be given a chance to make a mistake without knowing he's going to get yanked if he does. That kills players' confidence and makes them play conservative because they are scared to make a mistake, thus they won't take chances. That's why Nash/Kidd/Paul are such great point guards, they don't care about making mistakes. Now, I'm not comparing Acie to them but that's what makes them great, they will attempt to make ridiculous plays. Sometimes they turn it over, but many times they work. If Acie trys anything and fails he's getting yanked and probably won't see the floor for another 5 games.

Edited by AtLaS

• Premium Member
I am fine with Bibby at $6 mill per. Any more and good bye !

Bibby on hand with a rookie PG #19 and Law would be nice depth to have.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I do hope we attempt to move up in the draft I f our aim is to grab a PG. I really like this Jennings kid that elected to play overseas. He has all of the tools and the type of flair that seems right at home in the ATL. If we re-sign Bibs to a trade friendly contract, we can take a chance on Jennings with the hope he'll take over as he already has some experience overseas under his belt.

With Bibby on the roster, Woodson isn't going to play a young PG. It's just not going to happen. Bibby will be the starter and log 30+ minutes. Our only chance is a Bibby injury, which isn't likely given his style of play.

• Premium Member
With Bibby on the roster, Woodson isn't going to play a young PG. It's just not going to happen. Bibby will be the starter and log 30+ minutes. Our only chance is a Bibby injury, which isn't likely given his style of play.

So be it. The worst case scenario is we get 15ppg and 5apg from the PG position for the entire season which is something we haven't had before Bibby got here. I'm not quite sold on he whole Woodson not playing a young PG thing. All we have to go on is Acie so far and he just hasn't shown much anyway. I'm sorry to say it like that, but I'm sure if we had Derrick Rose on the bench Woody would play him. Heck, even Salim was given multiple chances even though he and Woody didn't see eye to eye so I'm just not buying it. The way the rumor mill is going right now, it looks like we're going to atempt to re-sign Bibby AND draft the PG of the future. I sure as heck hope that plan includes us trading up to get that PG because there are some real deal prospects in this draft at the top of the pile.

Edited by hawkman