Childress hints that he's had enough of European b-ball

sturt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Not on this team, no. On a team with plenty of perimeter shooters and a big who can score inside, Childress would have far greater value.

Bibby, JJ, Marvin, Flip are all perimeter shooters or at least pretend to be. I'd love to ADD Chill to this group without subtracting anyone except maybe Mo. Mo seems like a good guy but his defense didn't impress me much and he flat out was not a good shooter. We heard a lot about him being a lockdown defender and 3 point shooter and we wouldn't miss Chill, but we missed someone cutting to the basket, getting easy buckets, getting rebounds. I know its not the NBA but in a big time championship game Chill scored 23 points...his team scored 67. He could granny shoot for all i care if he's putting it in the bucket.

• Premium Member

We didn't miss Childress, obviously.

As far as I'm concerned, Evans replaced him dutifully. He brought the same defensive effort on the perimeter. He doesn't score as well inside as Childress, but he's a FAR great perimeter shooter (39.5% is a good perimeter shooter). And, as has been said 10 million times, the Hawks need perimeter shooting far more than they need Childress' inside scoring. (Essentially, Smith, Horford, and Zaza replaced that without a problem).

Childress would be fine for $3-4M/year, but at $6-7M/year, he's not an option for the Hawks.

As far as I'm concerned, Evans replaced him dutifully. He brought the same defensive effort on the perimeter. He doesn't score as well inside as Childress, but he's a FAR great perimeter shooter (39.5% is a good perimeter shooter). And, as has been said 10 million times, the Hawks need perimeter shooting far more than they need Childress' inside scoring. (Essentially, Smith, Horford, and Zaza replaced that without a problem).

Childress would be fine for $3-4M/year, but at $6-7M/year, he's not an option for the Hawks.

Well said.

• Premium Member

Can't totally agree with you. Now if we're only talking from the perceptive of cost/benefit then it's a maybe. But if we're talking pure basketball then J-Chill is much better option. Josh was shooting around 37% from 3 and that's just as good as Evans and his aggressive nature down low will only be rivaled by Zaza. I can recall many times (esp late in the season) where Mo's poor shooting really hurt the Hawks. And if a guy like Mo isn't shooting well then it's game over because of his reluctance to drive. Not saying Josh is a HOFer or anything but he's sizable upgrade over Mo Evans.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators
Josh was shooting around 37% from 3 and that's just as good as Evans and his aggressive nature down low will only be rivaled by Zaza on this team.

Childress shot .397 efg% on jumpers and only takes wide open jumpers.

Mo Evans shot .524 efg% on jumpers and took more contested jumpers than Chillz.

This is a no brainer for Evans. Trying to argue that Childress gave comparable contributions to perimeter shooting just undermines the rest of your argument because it is so clearly not true.

Based on total game, I agree Childress offers a lot more. But as a perimeter shooter, Evans is vastly superior both in his ability to get his shot off and in the effectiveness of that shot.

• Premium Member

Either way I see the Hawks in a win-win situation. Think about it. Who knew anything about Chill before he went to Greece? Now his name is known all over the league. I suspect that most NBA GMs will some level of intrigue. So worse case scenario the Hawks should be able to spin this into a pretty good draft pick or player trade. At least we hope so.

• Premium Member

Agreed. Never was a big fan of him, got into several arguments over the years with Jaywalker over him.

• Premium Member
Blah blah bal..... I am on the side of common sense. I am all for getting better if it means we trade anyone (Marvin included) but you are totally ignorant if you think that all of our troubles begin and end with Marvin Williams.

I see the scarecrow has return. Now Marvin (according to wu-ride) is the start of all of our troubles? I see crows and pigeons starting to perch atop your scarecrow again Wu. Point is the only way that Marvin has hurt us IMO is by hindering us from getting Chris Paul or Deron Williams. And that wasn't his fault. Like I said... Marvin "Iceburg Lettuce' Williams don't hurt us. He plays the easiest position in basketball and he does a mediocre job. I think the only way Iceburg lettuce can hurt us is if we were to pay him more than 6.5 million per on his next contract. A 2.5 Million dollars Mo Evans can do what Marvin does. Right now, Marvin's potential is no longer at question. The question is what has this guy done to improve our team. When he was out for those injury games, we didn't miss a step. It's like finding out that you can replace Iceburg lettuce with Romaine, Spinach, or Radicchio lettuce... and not missing it. I'm not saying that Mo Evans is better than Marvin. I'm not saying that Chillz is better than Marvin (even though I think that's debatable). What I'm saying is that Marvin doesn't improve our team so why pay him over 8 per? Trade him. And that will allow us to get something good in return.

Now, you can return to your scarecrow posting.

strawman.png

• Premium Member
I'm not saying that Chillz is better than Marvin (even though I think that's debatable)

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Moderators
A 2.5 Million dollars Mo Evans can do what Marvin does.

What did Mo Evans do last year that Marvin did? He is worse on the boards, worse offensively, and worse as a defender.

Are you arguing that the team's performance isn't hurt or that Mo Evans actually does what Marvin does?

• Premium Member
He doesn't score as well inside as Childress, but he's a FAR great perimeter shooter (39.5% is a good perimeter shooter). And, as has been said 10 million times, the Hawks need perimeter shooting far more than they need Childress' inside scoring. (Essentially, Smith, Horford, and Zaza replaced that without a problem).

Have to disagree here. You do realize that we had those stalls in our offensive play because teams could just leave their bigs back and force us to be a jump shooting team? Our offense sucks when Joe is the main ball handler and everybody else is standing on the perimeter. That's what you're suggesting. In Woody's world, he has Mo Evans on the baseline three. He has Joe, Bibby, and Smoove on the perimeter... And he has Horf High post. That's not better. Smoove would play inside until he got hit and then he was outside for the rest of the game. This is both series. We missed that element of Chillz working the baseline and Chillz bringing the ball up. What we did get was Flip. Flip did some of the things that CHillz would do.. i.e. drive the lane. However, Flip was the most selfish offensive player this side of Bibby. To say that we didn't miss Chillz means that either you wasn't watching or you don't understand the game.

Our offense doesn't thrive off of three point shooters. We have a ton of three point shooters. Our offense thrives when we attack the basket. Chillz was a 58-59% FG% guy. He was attacking the basket.

Now.. Flip added a lot to our team. Smoove and Marvin improved Some. However, that doesn't mean that we didn't miss Chillz. IN our lack of a low post offense, Chillz was a missing piece for us.

• Premium Member
What did Mo Evans do last year that Marvin did? He is worse on the boards, worse offensively, and worse as a defender.

Are you arguing that the team's performance isn't hurt or that Mo Evans actually does what Marvin does?

Statistically, Marvin may be better. However, Chemistry wise, we look just as good with Mo on the floor than with Marvin out there. Marvin's impact on the team is not easily seen.

• Premium Member

I'd take Chillz over both guys.

Worse athletically. In essence, not as good as basketball player...and I agree.

• Moderators
Statistically, Marvin may be better. However, Chemistry wise, we look just as good with Mo on the floor than with Marvin out there. Marvin's impact on the team is not easily seen.

I understand your argument that the impact on the team isn't there. I didn't understand it if you were arguing that Evans actually does what Williams does. Agree or not, I feel better knowing you are making a bottomline, team argument rather than saying Mo can actually do what Marvin does.

I see the scarecrow has return. Now Marvin (according to wu-ride) is the start of all of our troubles? I see crows and pigeons starting to perch atop your scarecrow again Wu. Point is the only way that Marvin has hurt us IMO is by hindering us from getting Chris Paul or Deron Williams. And that wasn't his fault. Like I said... Marvin "Iceburg Lettuce' Williams don't hurt us. He plays the easiest position in basketball and he does a mediocre job. I think the only way Iceburg lettuce can hurt us is if we were to pay him more than 6.5 million per on his next contract. A 2.5 Million dollars Mo Evans can do what Marvin does. Right now, Marvin's potential is no longer at question. The question is what has this guy done to improve our team. When he was out for those injury games, we didn't miss a step. It's like finding out that you can replace Iceburg lettuce with Romaine, Spinach, or Radicchio lettuce... and not missing it. I'm not saying that Mo Evans is better than Marvin. I'm not saying that Chillz is better than Marvin (even though I think that's debatable). What I'm saying is that Marvin doesn't improve our team so why pay him over 8 per? Trade him. And that will allow us to get something good in return.

Now, you can return to your scarecrow posting.

strawman.png

Here we go again. I have never ever discussed a salary for Marvin. What about the 16-14 record after he got hurt and played sparingly. You won't even address that because it completely kills your entire argument about Mo Evans stepping in and us not missing a beat. I am for getting any player for the least amount possible and hopefully never over pay. Hell if we can get Marv for 5 million that is fine with me. Diesel you like to throw rocks and hide your hands. 16-14 after he got hurt!!!!

Edited by Wurider05